• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

*Any* increase in intensity or routine change-up holds the risk of injury. Not to mention, running for 30-40 minutes no matter how low the intensity places a strain on the muscles and joints of the body. And you're suggesting that a new runner does that *twice a day*?

Long, low-intensity jogs don't make for a faster runner. They make you better at exactly what you're doing: working at a low-intensity for long periods of time. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but not exactly useful for someone training for this type of job.

Interval training is supposed to be intense - and it's important that each individual works within their current fitness level. i.e. a new runner can alternate between a regular walk and a power walk on a treadmill, which will feel intense for him/her. A more seasoned runner can alternate between jogging and sprinting between telephone poles - that can feel just as intense, but there is a difference in fitness levels here. It's when someone pushes themselves too far that they risk injuring themselves.

OK, I'm new here and all of this is helpful, but i need some answers specific to me, I'm just that way. I'll start everything off, right now I just turned 15 and I am hoping to join the Canadian forces around age 18 or 19. I'm not going to lie, I am a husky kid, I'm 180 right now and to be in good physical condition i should be around 135-145. So I do have a good 3-4 years to shed some weight and to build up some muscle. Right now I have 45 minutes every morning just for training and possibly some evenings every once in a while. From what i gathered i should  run 3 to 4 days a week and the rest of the time i should strength train. Anything I should add to this, i cant get out to the Y much except for maybe this summer on Saturdays and Sundays. And more specifically what should i do for my runs and what are some good ways to strength train? I did a 6 kilometer run on Saturday, from what i've read i did it all wrong, i started with a blazing start and my legs were just killing after a little while, so i did the run walk thing the rest of the way, probably because I was running in skate shoes is why my legs hurt so much(i'm going shoe shopping later this week for some good runners and insoles) But other than that it went OK, i wasn't even really that sore the next day.

Do yourself a favour and get yourself on a decent, low carb diet plan.  You can exercise all you want, but if you won't lose weight unless your intake is lower than your output.
Good luck and way to be forward thinking. 

ok i'll try that for the weight loss, what do you think are some good meals to work with that (im not that familiar with diets)?

Jeez, there are a heap of diets out there.  You'd best consult with your doctor about the best plan for you.  In a nut shell, if it has sugar it's gone.  And lay off the potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc.  In other words, starches.  And forget about energy drinks. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Do yourself a favour and get yourself on a decent, low carb diet plan.  You can exercise all you want, but if you won't lose weight unless your intake is lower than your output.
Good luck and way to be forward thinking. 

I think you might want to consult a fitness trainer (talk to one at your local gym) before going low carb. I don't think low carb and working out are a good combination. The more you work out, the more carbs you need.  :-\

Celticgirl said:
I think you might want to consult a fitness trainer (talk to one at your local gym) before going low carb. I don't think low carb and working out are a good combination. The more you work out, the more carbs you need.  :-\

He's trying to lose weight.  You can't do that without a negitive caloric balance for the day.  But I agree with consulting a professional.  I'm just giving a few easy tips. 

zipperhead_cop said:
He's trying to lose weight.  You can't do that without a negitive caloric balance for the day.  But I agree with consulting a professional.  I'm just giving a few easy tips. 

I agree with lowering your caloric intake if you want to lose weight. What I disagree with is going on a low carbohydrate diet while doing strenuous exercises (running, lifting weights, etc.). Low carb is not the same as low cal.

Celticgirl said:
I agree with lowering your caloric intake if you want to lose weight. What I disagree with is going on a low carbohydrate diet while doing strenuous exercises (running, lifting weights, etc.). Low carb is not the same as low cal.

Did you actually read his post?  He wants to lose weight.

zipperhead_cop said:
Did you actually read his post?  He wants to lose weight.

Yes, I did read his post, and there is no need to condescend. I have a very good command of the language. Do you think the only way a person can lose weight is through a low-carb diet? Personally, I think it is downright dangerous to recommend such a thing to someone who is physically training and trying to improve his fitness level. He should talk to someone who knows a lot about diet and exercise (and not just fad diets and how to lose weight quickly).

well thanks you guys, first off, i don't know how talking to a professional will help for me because if i'm going to walk in there and start talking about diets he could cut me off right there because i'm only 15 and it is medically deemed unsafe for me to diet, but i dont see the problem in dieting at my age as long as it isnt one of these anorexic diets, i just need something to lower my calories down enough whisle still filling the tank. One thing im going to start doing now is home making every one of my school lunches, all that pre made **** is not that great compared to leftovers from last night, i also just watched this TV thing about losing weight so i'm going to do some of those tactics. But my main concern right now is to get this belly off of me, once i have that off then i'm going to move onto strength training.

???
Celticgirl said:
Yes, I did read his post, and there is no need to condescend. I have a very good command of the language. Do you think the only way a person can lose weight is through a low-carb diet? Personally, I think it is downright dangerous to recommend such a thing to someone who is physically training and trying to improve his fitness level. He should talk to someone who knows a lot about diet and exercise (and not just fad diets and how to lose weight quickly).

zipperhead_cop said:
Jeez, there are a heap of diets out there.  You'd best consult with your doctor about the best plan for you.  

ya, i'll probably tag along with my mom on one of her doctors appointments, since we have the same doctor i'll just schedule something in right after hers, get the docs opinion and work from there.

Celticgirl said:
He should talk to someone who knows a lot about diet and exercise (and not just fad diets and how to lose weight quickly).

Maybe it's just my posts you don't read through:

zipperhead_cop said:
You'd best consult with your doctor about the best plan for you.

zipperhead_cop said:
But I agree with consulting a professional.  I'm just giving a few easy tips. 

Anyway buds, your doctor can definitely help you with diet suggestions.  He probably won't prescribe a fat blocker or anything, but he will be able to fill you in on how to watch your calories and fat intake.  Good luck.

zipperhead_cop said:
Do yourself a favour and get yourself on a decent, low carb diet plan

This is what you said that I didn't agree with, not the other statements. You advocated a low-carb diet plan. First of all, he's only 15 and needs his nutrients. Second of all, he wants to work out more (running and strength training) so he will need complex carbs. I didn't think your advice was bad, just this one bit of advice which I quoted that I do see as potentially harmful advice.

Big difference between a 'low carb diet' and generally reducing one's caloric intake (or specifically, carbs). Needless to say, consuming an adequate amount of carbohydrates is essential for health and exercise. Maybe 'low carb' is the wrong term. Adequate amounts and ratios of all macronutrients coupled with exercise will cause an overweight person to shed pounds. Either way, a doctor and a nutritionist is the best way to go, and I think we can all agree on that.

Back