• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

ya, now im probably going to spend a whole evening with my sister every month for her to plan meals around me(she's the cook of the family) but it doesent matter, its for the best.

zipperhead_cop said:
So how would you suggest he lose 50 odd pounds without reducing his carb intake? 

Exercise and eat healthy.Lifestyle change instead of yo-yo low carb B/S.

X-mo-1979 said:
Exercise and eat healthy.Lifestyle change instead of yo-yo low carb B/S.

That's all I did... I blew off 65 pounds since I"ve been posted here. I love my Oasis Running Sneakers and iPod.

ya, and did you know there actually called basics, seriously i only found that out a day ago, and i found out having all of these gagets do help, cause they make you wanna go out and hold your head high and show them off, so now i have a little shuffle and some basics with built in gel soles, and there also ultra light, and for 50% off  :D, ******* there comfortable.

the_midge said:
*Any* increase in intensity or routine change-up holds the risk of injury. Not to mention, running for 30-40 minutes no matter how low the intensity places a strain on the muscles and joints of the body. And you're suggesting that a new runner does that *twice a day*?

Long, low-intensity jogs don't make for a faster runner. They make you better at exactly what you're doing: working at a low-intensity for long periods of time. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but not exactly useful for someone training for this type of job.

Interval training is supposed to be intense - and it's important that each individual works within their current fitness level. i.e. a new runner can alternate between a regular walk and a power walk on a treadmill, which will feel intense for him/her. A more seasoned runner can alternate between jogging and sprinting between telephone poles - that can feel just as intense, but there is a difference in fitness levels here. It's when someone pushes themselves too far that they risk injuring themselves.

With respect, I gotta disagree with a bunch of what you said. A lot.

1. Intensity is MUCH more likely to cause injury than easy distance. Someone without much distance on their legs doing intense interval training is the perfect recipe for acute injuries.
2. Running long and easy WILL make you faster..... it's pretty much universally considered to be the best way to get faster for anything longer than 400m.

I do agree that most people just starting shouldn't be running twice a day.... recovery is important.

And my running times:
Distance           Time
800 m             2:14.75
1500 m             4:27
3 km                     9:33
5 km                   17:14
8 km                   29:34
Half Marathon 1:21:30.9

I am just waiting for the call to do my express test as the final step for the reserves and I am just getting back to the gym this past month as i have waited a long time for my medical to clear and I did a lot of overtime at work so didn't have much time to get to the gym.  I have been doing weights and running 25 min interval training on the treadmill and 15min on the eliptical and I am doing better but heard that if you do interval training it's a better way to get your stamina better then just going slower for a longer distance.  I have some back/shoulder pain when i run.  Can anyone give me some advice please not sure what i should do, trying to get to the gym three times a week.  Thanks all

Try using the SEARCH function and look up CF Expres Test and PT Test.  That will give you an idea of what is required.  You can also look up minimum standards required.  If you can't meet those requirements, there isn't much more we can tell you.

davidsonr_91 said:
Can anyone give me some advice please not sure what i should do, trying to get to the gym three times a week.  Thanks all

Perhaps don't join the military until you are fit?  We are in the business of soldiering, not running The Queen's Fitness Spa.  And if your back is bugging you now, wait until you get your FFO out for your first adventure.  You are looking at a minimum of 55-odd pounds. 
As mentioned, you need to get some research down range.  Good luck with training. 

Regarding push-ups; I know that I have a muscle imbalance in my arms and was just wondering if there is a way I can work on that while training at home?

This may have been mentioned but very much worth mentioning again. For this (old) guy who never ran....I got the "Couch to 5K" Podcasts, free on iTunes......worked like a charm.....doing 5K now. I never thought 2 months ago, while running for 1 minute was sooooo difficult, that I would have succeeded at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

i don't have access to an inside running track in the winter. .so i do my running on a tread mill !!! i heard it's not effective .. i have a really good cardio and i wish to keep it what should i train on to keep my cardio ?? and rope skipping is not a good idea because i caught shin splint ... i don't use running shoes when rope skipping  ( muay thai training and karate no shoes allowed ) ..

If you don't want to run outside and you don't have access to an indoor track or gym floor a treadmill is your best bet than.

i was wondering if using the stair machine would help for the cardio.. ??
something like 100-120 steps a minute for 15 minutes or so..
cause my shin splint is still acting up  :'(

Search www  for "Runner's World" and then "water running". This may help you, but stay out of the puddles.
-Neil

BEGINNING TO RUN

At first my running was awful, I ran for what seemed a minute then had to stop for a minute or two then run again and so forth. I decided to try the treadmill at my local gym and started off 10 minutes at a time on speed 4 and 0 incline. This went on 3 times per week for about 3 weeks and then I ran the 2.4km again. This time I was able to jog it all in one shot. I eventually got to 2.4km in about 13.30 mins. I found the treadmill helped to develop my cardio.

BEGINNER PUSH-UPS

I couldn't do more than 4 or 5 when I started, I can now do 13. I started off doing 4 or 5 then resting a minute, then doing 4 or 5 again. Another thing that really boosted my ability was doing tricep exercises. The one, don't know what its called, but its on a machine that has weights on both sides. There are a few different attachments I can use, the one I chose has the two pieces of thick rope (one for each hand) which when pulled form a V-shape.

I then stand with my back to the where the weight is, like in a stance to perform a karate kick, one knee out front and the other leg sort of stretched out behind me. I keep my arms out in front of me and the only movement will be my elbow to hands pushing the weight out front working the triceps. No word of a lie, since starting this exercise, I went from 9 push-ups to 13 in about 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.  :yellow:

I highly recommend, for people in high school, to join their cross-country team.

I went from last year, barely able to run 3k, to easily being able to run it in under 12 minutes.

adahmani said:
Hi

i don't have access to an inside running track in the winter. .so i do my running on a tread mill !!! i heard it's not effective .. i have a really good cardio and i wish to keep it what should i train on to keep my cardio ?? and rope skipping is not a good idea because i caught shin splint ... i don't use running shoes when rope skipping  ( muay thai training and karate no shoes allowed ) ..

You could just run outside.....i love winter running. Almost as much as trail running in mountain bike trails. Running in showstorms is wicked awesome.

Pushups- the best way to get better, is to do them. Do them when you wake up, before and after meals, before and after classes/water breaks/meetings, whatever.
                You will improve alot very fast, but you have to do them to fail. What you determain fail to be is up to you, whether it is technique is gone, or you fall to the ground.  This will train most of your core muscles, chest, arms, back, shoulders. To target specific muscles, change the way you do pushups. Google it on how to do different types if you want. Though if you are training to pass an express test, i would recomend you doing as many pushups as possible like you are being tested on, so hands under your shoulders, and elbows tight in if you can.

Performance is very closely related to the method of training (Specificity Principle)  If you want to practice push ups to pass your EXPRES, you should train using the specific protocol.  Here is the protocol right out of the EXPRES Ops manual:

Push-ups Protocol

The following procedures will be used for push-ups:

a. Start Position. In the start position the member lies flat on his/her stomach, legs and feet together. Hands pointing forward are positioned underneath the shoulders. To establish an acceptable hand position the evaluator may stand directly over the member being tested, if the evaluator can see the entire hand(s), then the position of the hands is too wide. Conversely, if the hands are under the chest and the evaluator cannot see any portion of the hand(s) then the position is too narrow. Elbows are comfortably back along the sides.

b. Movement/Extension Phase. Using the toes as the pivotal point, the
member pushes up from the floor/mat (if using a mat use only a very thin mat or a very firm mat so as not to effect the integrity of the push-up) by straightening the arms to full extension. During this extension movement the elbows may flare out to the side as long as the hands remain in position pointing forward (it is not required that the member maintain elbows close to the sides during the movement phase, thus performing more of a triceps push-up). The body must be kept in a straight line; including the head that should not normally be cocked to look forward as such action is contraindicated. The member descends to the down position.

c. Down Position. The down position differs from the start position in that the member does not return to lying on their stomach. During the execution of their push-ups the member uses their muscular endurance to keep their body suspended off the floor/mat throughout the evaluation. The proper down position has the back of the upper arms (triceps area) parallel to the floor/mat. The chin, chest area, stomach, thighs, or knees should not touch the floor/mat in the down position. However, incidental contact of any body part should not be used as a reason to terminate the test, or not count push-ups, unless the member through such contact is gaining clear advantage. Once the member has attained the down phase they continue with the next push-up (extension phase).
NOTE: If the member requires assistance in determining the correct down position, the evaluator may hold an object (such as a ruler) in the air under the member’s shoulder at the proper height of the down position. Each time the member descends to the down position he/she should touch the object. Using the hand in these instances is not recommended.

d. Counting. Push-ups are to be performed continuously and without a time limit. Push-ups that do not conform to the described protocol will not be counted. The test shall be discontinued as soon as the member is seen to strain forcibly to complete a push-up or is unable to maintain proper push-up technique. In many cases, lack of compliance with protocol (i.e. arching back on a push-up, not going down far enough, moving hands farther apart) can be corrected verbally and simply results in push-ups that do not count. Such situations should not result in termination of the test unless it is evident that advantage is being gained. Count the initial movement up as one and then count each subsequent repetition to full extension. Record that total in section F1 of the DND 279 form. The MPFS for this protocol are available in Tool 8. Record the MPFS score in Section F1, DND 279.

Back