• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ryan Reynolds for Soldier on

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Check out Deadpool on the Soldier On site:

https://www.soldieron.ca/

All,

Scroll down to the "Feed" section and you'll see a Twitter post.

Thanks for the post!

It’s nice for him to give a shout out, and I’m typically a really big fan. But in this instance, I feel he fell short.

The program is so important to many, and I’ve taken advantage of what it offers a few times. It, and its members, deserve a bit more effort and respect. When he said he was going to wing it, he wasn’t kidding...and it shows.

A little preparation would’ve made more of an impact in attaching his image to the cause. I usually find his timing and humour hilarious, but all these little vids he’s been doing while in isolation have been rehearsed to get them just right. He could’ve added the same level of planning, IMO.

BeyondTheNow said:
It’s nice for him to give a shout out, and I’m typically a really big fan. But in this instance, I feel he fell short.

The program is so important to many, and I’ve taken advantage of what it offers a few times. It, and its members, deserve a bit more effort and respect. When he said he was going to wing it, he wasn’t kidding...and it shows.

A little preparation would’ve made more of an impact in attaching his image to the cause. I usually find his timing and humour hilarious, but all these little vids he’s been doing while in isolation have been rehearsed to get them just right. He could’ve added the same level of planning, IMO.
Or he could have just absolutely ignored Soldier On, with absolutely no public awareness, criticism, or lash back.

I found his video to be like most of Ryan Reynold's spontaneous stuff, improvised, off the cuff, with some R-rated language. Notwithstanding how well it was staged, he brings a huge cachet to the awareness of the program. I also found it genuine. We should be thanking him, not criticizing how well he did his endorsement.

Weinie said:
Or he could have just absolutely ignored Soldier On, with absolutely no public awareness, criticism, or lash back.

I found his video to be like most of Ryan Reynold's spontaneous stuff, improvised, off the cuff, with some R-rated language. Notwithstanding how well it was staged, he brings a huge cachet to the awareness of the program. I also found it genuine. We should be thanking him, not criticizing how well he did his endorsement.

I said it was nice. But you’ll note that this video doesn’t appear on any of his personal feeds, only on Soldier-On, of which they promoted him by utilizing his hashtags. So his spread and awareness brought to the program could’ve been much more wide-spread.

I’m not going to automatically praise the content as perfect simply for who he is. Again, it’s nice that he took a bit of time and I agree that any exposure is good. I expressed I’m a fan. I don’t doubt his sincerity. But I maintain that all those involved with the program deserved the same level of effort as he’s put into other videos of this kind. That’s not an unfair statement/POV.

OK. You say poh..tay..toe, I say paw..tat...toe. It was free, from someone who is arguably one of the most influential Canadians in a demographic we want to attract, and notwithstanding your personal misgivings, will result in a significant amount of heat and light focused on Soldier On. Win/win.

His vodka isn’t the best either, but I still like the guy. ;)

Good2Golf said:
His vodka isn’t the best either, but I still like the guy. ;)

That’s because his vodka is gin flavoured, not everyone’s cup os Smirnoff.

Yes, absolutely agreed on the “free” and that he’s in the same demographic aspects you mentioned.

But otherwise, sorry, I’ll have to wait and see how much his doing this will make a difference as to heightened exposure of SoldierOn if he’s not personally promoting his voice/support in any way, shape, or form—which at the moment, he’s not. Only SoldierOn is spreading the word, and a simple take of their following on social media platforms, and overall interaction with their posts provides insight as to how little attention they get on an average basis when compared to several other Cdn content/profiles, personal, government/public service, etc.

The scope of the benefits of SoldierOn and its mission statement is relatively unknown and/or entirely dismissed by the majority of serving CAF members.

Since the percentages of currently releasing mbrs successfully transferred to TCs is relatively small, their exposure to the program makes minimal impact as to spreading the word to others also.

Many vets aren’t adequately aware of the benefits of the program.

I’ve been told by relevant persons that traffic to the SoldierOn site isn’t noteworthy.

Couple these issues with the fact that there’s notable imbalances as to how well varying CoCs (TC and otherwise) help promote SoldierOn where relevant means that, yes, while Mr. Reynolds agreeing to say a little something is an acceptable gesture, it’s extremely minor since that seems to be the extent of his involvement.

After having spent time (as I’m sure others have also) with those who’ve given a great deal both mentally & physically, hearing of their personal stories and struggles from their own mouths, having seen their tears, and being greatly touched by accounts of their triumphs during (continued) rehabilitation, you’ll have to forgive me for not being absolutely blown away by a celebrity who threw together a quick 02:15, unscripted and relatively unprepared video. I hope he makes a more visible effort to spread the word in the future. ‘Perhaps some sort of donation/initiating a fund. I simply think they deserve more. That’s it, that’s all, and I’m comfortable expressing that.

Speaking bluntly, everyone talks about, and wishes vets were treated with equal consideration as compared to several other facets of public service, community recognition/outreach, funds/benefits, etc., yet only a few, simple comments from someone who’s reached his level of stardom is supposed to be super-flattering. Again, I just wasn’t overly impressed.

BeyondTheNow said:
I’ve been told by relevant persons that traffic to the SoldierOn site isn’t noteworthy.

It probably doesn't help that their grant program is currently shut down due to COVID-19, and previous to that there was a fair stretch where they were not accepting applications due to being overwhelmed.

I understand they offer more than the grant program, but there are probably a fair number of vets out there who aren't interested in group activities, have difficulty being around other ex-service members etc. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the average CAF member probably hopes they will never need/be eligible for Soldier On services...

Just saying...

BTN,

I am not trying to pick a fight here, or dispute any of the valid points that you make. But to be bluntly pragmatic, Soldier On is but one of thousands of ongoing support and/or fundraising initiatives. I think most of them would welcome an endorsement by Ryan Reynolds.

reverse_engineer said:
It probably doesn't help that their grant program is currently shut down due to COVID-19, and previous to that there was a fair stretch where they were not accepting applications due to being overwhelmed.

I understand they offer more than the grant program, but there are probably a fair number of vets out there who aren't interested in group activities, have difficulty being around other ex-service members etc. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the average CAF member probably hopes they will never need/be eligible for Soldier On services...

Just saying...

Yes, valid points.

Weinie said:
BTN,

I am not trying to pick a fight here, or dispute any of the valid points that you make. But to be bluntly pragmatic, Soldier On is but one of thousands of ongoing support and/or fundraising initiatives. I think most of them would welcome an endorsement by Ryan Reynolds.

Agreed, you’re absolutely right there.

There’s no intent for me to be giving off the impression I’m being confrontational either—I’m not at all. I feel very strongly about some thoughts the video raised an am posting them. In turn, there’s some very valid viewpoints being expressed and that’s not a negative. The discussion is good and it’s drawing awareness to certain issues in and of itself.

It’s good that you shared the link. Some people may not have seen it otherwise.

Deadpool is like the poster child (superhero) for Soldier On, if you really think about it.

Target Up said:
That’s because his vodka is gin flavoured, not everyone’s cup os Smirnoff.

Lol, gin...what was I thinking, good catch Target Up...his commercial for it is priceless.

Watched the video again, and I actually like it more and more. If the goal was to build hits on Soldier On’s site, then perhaps a link to some of his other site might help, but it hits the goal of a more personal link between him and those who have soldiered.  Ryan had often been unapologetically Canadian in interviews, and his ‘different from the masses’ quirky self-deprecation is a trademark that I think works well here channeled more specifically to those whom Soldier On resonates.

Mein :2c:

G2G

Back