• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailor who doubled in size wins disability benefits

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
Did he retire a Chief?

59960603.jpg

;D

You can have the best ship borne gym in the world but if you treat your stomache like a garbage can you'll become obese.

Jarnhamar said:
You can have the best ship borne gym in the world but if you treat your stomache like a garbage can you'll become obese.

Agreed. I've gone on a fairly strict diet, actually a lot less of what used to eat scaled back. Less bread etc, and less of Niner Domestic's baking. The result? About 30 pounds less, weighing in at under 200 pounds. I have not been that light since I was 19.

If I can do that, anyone can.

Anyone ever see "The D. I." with Jack Webb?

"You ain't gonna eat no bread, no corn, no pie, cake, desserts of any kind. No whole milk, no beans, no butter, no sugar, no potatoes, candy, ice cream, salad dressing or peanut butter... You came here with nothing but fat. You're gonna leave here with nothing but muscle."

Lumber said:
Then you're not going to be recruiting the "best and brightest".

Who says our best and brightest are in universities?  This article is more indicative of the presence of some pretty dim bulbs...

Pusser said:
Who says our best and brightest are in universities?  This article is more indicative of the presence of some pretty dim bulbs...

Student unions are the holding corrals for the milk toast morons who are continually offended at everything.

Grimey said:
The double hanger on 280s certainly helped with the exercise equipment issue, there was always room as long as we only carried one helo.  On ALG during Op APOLLO we had no helairdet, even had to get the SWOAD cert for the flight deck via a RN Sea King after we chopped in.

The result was we had a kick *** double size gym that would, even 13 years later, put most fitness centres to shame.  Didn't particulaly rub off on the crew though.....the same faces using the gym at the beginning of the deployment where the same ones using it 6 months later.

I think the bigger issue is that the RCN, overall, has only ever paid lip service to physical fitness.  Remember when BMI was pushed in the early 90s?  There was talk of mandatory PT at the time but that seemed to die a quick death, along with the PERIs.

Has the FORCE test been more effective in promoting fitness than the express test?  I released just before it came into use.
I remember when General Hillier put out the CANFORGEN mandating 3 hours a week PT time during work hours. Even with an order from the CDS,  we had to fight tooth and nail to get it. Even after it was approved there was always some reason why we were "too busy for PT today". 

The Navy needs to change its culture to consider PT as work rather than time away from work. The farther you get away from the combat arms the more likely you are to see units who view PT as rec time or time off rather than part of their job. It is easy to fall into that trap. On an Army base, work starts at 0600 (or whenever) for PT the daily routine starts after. Very rarely does anything major happen before 9  because the entire base is at PT.  All other units I have been at PT (if there is any) tends to get shoe horned into the existing schedules, next thing you know people can't go because they have easy work related excuses.

I hate 6 in the morning PT, I would rather work out in the afternoon, but when everyone you know is at PT at the same time every day it is pretty easy to get into the routine. Even if people have issues that prevent them from participating in group PT,  we have an entire staff of free personal trainers who can help come up with a PT program for damn near anyone.

Just playing devils advocate here.  The claim wasn't for his weight it was for the Hypertension.  That being said I've put on weight since joining the CF and have had my BP go up, but I wouldn't think for a minute to blame it on the CAF or put a VA claim in.

ModlrMike said:
I wager the CF is not the only "service" facing these same challenges.

I believe you would win that wager.  :)

putz said:
Just playing devils advocate here.  The claim wasn't for his weight it was for the Hypertension.  That being said I've put on weight since joining the CF and have had my BP go up, but I wouldn't think for a minute to blame it on the CAF or put a VA claim in.

Hypertension can and does occur separately from obesity; I see plenty of slender folks with HTN. That being said, they are most often comorbidities, frequently in the setting of type 2 diabetes.

What really grinds my gears is that this guy get's his claim approved; meanwhile there is a young kid who was attacked in SF during their "Fleet Week" while serving on ALG and suffered damage that is going to cause a 3B and VAC continues to deny his claim stating that it was not attributable to military service. REALLY!! He would not have been at a USN event if he had not sailed there on ALG as part of "military service". Complete and utter BS!!

Meanwhile, the RCN's Info-Machine shows how it can be done (and I understand different ships on different tasks can have different schedules/tempos) ....
While the crew of HMCS Calgary flexed their skills after deploying October 5, 2015 to southern California for a busy series of taskings, they also honed their bodies in a fitness challenge.

For six weeks, while taking part in Fleet Week in San Francisco, work-ups in support of HMCS Vancouver, and a major Task Group Exercise with a United States Navy Amphibious Strike Group, the ship’s company was encouraged to become more active and take steps towards a healthier lifestyle while earning points towards an achievable goal.

The program was organized under the guidance of the ship’s fitness coordinator, Sergeant Steven Lewington. Over 140 HMCS Calgary sailors participated in the challenge, which culminated with the awarding of prizes to three personnel who reached the goal of 50 points during the trip.

Encouraging the ship’s company to work out was only one part of the challenge. By forgoing desserts participants could net 0.4 points per day and smokers could earn half a point per day by skipping a day of smoking/vaping. The program also awarded points to sailors for making healthier lifestyle choices while the ship was in port, such as not consuming alcohol. This encouraged members to explore new ways to enjoy themselves in port that were compatible with their healthier lifestyle choices.

Many members brought bikes with them and while alongside in San Francisco spent their time biking across the Golden Gate Bridge. Others enjoyed a run along the Embarcadero, climbing the 600 steps to reach Coit Tower, or going for hikes in the Marin Headlands.

“The aim of this program has always been to encourage all participants, no matter their fitness level, to work towards a very attainable goal and experience the benefits of a healthy lifestyle,” said Sgt Lewington.

The Calgary Health and Fitness challenge has been a resounding success and the ship has implemented this as an ongoing program.

milnews.ca said:
Meanwhile, the RCN's Info-Machine shows how it can be done (and I understand different ships on different tasks can have different schedules/tempos) ....

We've talked about the difficulty of maintaining a fitness regime aboard a warship before, so I'll just say this.

Calgary was assissting Vancouver's work-ups. It would have been much harder, nigh impossible, to do this aboard a ship that is the one actually conducting work-ups. It would be awesome if we could, but damn it's hard to put down the duff during work-ups when you go 2 weeks without any down time at all.

I haven't done work ups or even seen them, but I heard a few guys I know talk about them and I hope it is something I continue to remain in the 'have not experienced' group.  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
I haven't done work ups or even seen them, but I heard a few guys I know talk about them and I hope it is something I continue to remain in the 'have not experienced' group.  ;D

Trust me, you don't want to ever experience that.

Wups suck the big one.  I hate them even if you're just doing an assist to the poor bastards getting reamed.  Sea Trainers are the imps of Satan.

Back