• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailor who doubled in size wins disability benefits

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
We had West Coast Sea Training on board last year and they mentioned fitness pauses during the program which surprised the hell out of me.

So, someone asked this question on another forum.

If buddy loses all the weight and suddenly has no issues with hypertension anymore and is no longer at risk of getting Type 2 diabetes (or, if he already has it, ends up being able to manage it without any medication...can't remember from the article if he has it or not) is he still considered disabled?  ???

Lumber said:
We've talked about the difficulty of maintaining a fitness regime aboard a warship before, so I'll just say this.

Calgary was assissting Vancouver's work-ups. It would have been much harder, nigh impossible, to do this aboard a ship that is the one actually conducting work-ups. It would be awesome if we could, but damn it's hard to put down the duff during work-ups when you go 2 weeks without any down time at all.

Fair enough, but ships are not constantly working up.

I agree that regular exercise is a good thing, but I fail to understand the crowd that seem to think that minor interruptions in a routine are catastrophic.  If you generally live a healthy lifestyle (exercise and eat right), the odd week or two of decadence will not instantly turn you into a 400 lb slug.

jollyjacktar said:
Wups suck the big one.  I hate them even if you're just doing an assist to the poor bastards getting reamed.  Sea Trainers are the imps of Satan.

Agreed, but as I explain to many (who will listen), trainers of any ilk (be they Sea Training, BMQ/BMOQ staff, etc) are not actually allowed to kill or even injure anybody.  Nor is it in their best interests for anyone to fail.  Therefore, by and large, WUPS will end and everyone will survive.

Pusser said:
Agreed, but as I explain to many (who will listen), trainers of any ilk (be they Sea Training, BMQ/BMOQ staff, etc) are not actually allowed to kill or even injure anybody.  Nor is it in their best interests for anyone to fail.  Therefore, by and large, WUPS will end and everyone will survive.

Agreed,  they're there to do a necessary job and I wouldn't want theirs for anything.  It all has a purpose and reason as does everything asked of a ship's company. (jazzagrams excepted) Doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass nevertheless.

I wish we'd not stopped War Wednesdays.  Back then everyone was pretty sharp at their battle problems and Wups was not as painful.

Strike said:
So, someone asked this question on another forum.

If buddy loses all the weight and suddenly has no issues with hypertension anymore and is no longer at risk of getting Type 2 diabetes (or, if he already has it, ends up being able to manage it without any medication...can't remember from the article if he has it or not) is he still considered disabled?  ???

In the eyes of VAC, yes. Although he may no longer be disabled since a change in diet, increased physical fitness, etc., a decision was rendered based on his condition at the time of the decision. The one-fifth award and $ won't be taken away from him.

Unless it was a fraudulent claim, made on false grounds, etc.

Tcm621 said:
We once did a push up challenge at sea.  It was amazing how many people got into it. There wasn't even any prizes,  just pride.

And probably just a bit of boredom as well  ;)

Tcm621 said:
We once did a push up challenge at sea.  It was amazing how many people got into it. There wasn't even any prizes,  just pride.

And that's something that the RCN needs to push.  You don't need fancy equipment to get a workout done.  What do you see when you go to Wainwright with the Army?  (Let's pretend that the field amb hasn't also deployed with physio, who always seems to insist on bringing all their ellipticals, stairclimbers, etc. lol)  You see guys using what's around them to get a workout done.  Cardio?  Get a jump rope.  A punching/kicking bag (weighted base) is usually the most expensive piece of gym equipment you see.  Weights?  Ammo cans or just using their own weight in different ways.

Saying that it's hard to work out because you don't have the right equipment or the sea state prevents you from using it sounds like an excuse to me.  A chin up bar that can be mounted in a hatch and some TRX straps, which can be mounted almost anywhere, are more than enough and are easily store away on the side of a bunk or in a locker.

Strike said:
And that's something that the RCN needs to push.  You don't need fancy equipment to get a workout done.  What do you see when you go to Wainwright with the Army?  (Let's pretend that the field amb hasn't also deployed with physio, who always seems to insist on bringing all their ellipticals, stairclimbers, etc. lol)  You see guys using what's around them to get a workout done.  Cardio?  Get a jump rope.  A punching/kicking bag (weighted base) is usually the most expensive piece of gym equipment you see.  Weights?  Ammo cans or just using their own weight in different ways.

Saying that it's hard to work out because you don't have the right equipment or the sea state prevents you from using it sounds like an excuse to me.  A chin up bar that can be mounted in a hatch and some TRX straps, which can be mounted almost anywhere, are more than enough and are easily store away on the side of a bunk or in a locker.

Sea state is a valid reason to curtail some activities on ship at a certain point (just ask your brother how rough it can get).  Also, it's not a good idea to be mounting anything on a hatch as they are points of egress into and out of different decks/compartments on ship.  They could also undog and slam down that would not be good.  Ships are not a stable platform unlike the field and you must take where you're locating and doing things into consideration.  Your points about being "creative" are very valid and there are things that can be done in that regard for sure.

jollyjacktar said:
Sea state is a valid reason to curtail some activities on ship at a certain point (just ask your brother how rough it can get).  Also, it's not a good idea to be mounting anything on a hatch as they are points of egress into and out of different decks/compartments on ship.  They could also undog and slam down that would not be good.  Ships are not a stable platform unlike the field and you must take where you're locating and doing things into consideration.  Your points about being "creative" are very valid and there are things that can be done in that regard for sure.

Speaking of being creative, a friend of mine hung bouldering holds from the Ops Room deck head using rope. We'd have pull-up competitions during watch to help the time go by (most pull ups at one time and most during the whole watch). It was really furstrating when you're about to beat your record for most at one time, the the ship suddenly takes a dive down a wave, and suddenly you feel a tad bit heavier.

Sea Training promptly removed them as soon as they came aboard... :'(

Strike said:

From the Gyms on Ships discussion, I read this,

"Just moving around a ship in certain sea states is workout enough...."

mariomike said:
From the Gyms on Ships discussion, I read this,

"Just moving around a ship in certain sea states is workout enough...."

It's true. Try climbing up a ladder when the ship is pitching down. It's like wearing a leaded vest.

Lumber said:
It's true. Try climbing up a ladder when the ship is pitching down. It's like wearing a leaded vest.

On the other hand, if you time it right, you can fly up a ladder with barely a step.

You want a good work out at sea?

Go clear a halyard in sea state five or above  :nod:

Seriously though, while there is a combination of ship movement and dangers onboard ship that restrict us in getting a work out, we all have to admit that at times when such work outs were possible we have all been guilty of laziness and preferring to get some more shut eye instead of exercising (though I would never blame anyone from sleeping off, on a calm day, when we just went through a multiple days storm where all we could do is wedge ourselves in a corner of a compartment and stay awake in our bunks, resisting the rolls trying to throw us out of there.)

All this discussion of fitness while sailing is moot; I gather the point was this chunky monkey was unable to workout because he was physically tied to a chair and force-fed deep fried food for 20 years. Not easy doing cardio when bound to a chair, and the only carbs burned are the reps from chewing Kentucky fried Mars bars...  :nod:

Strike said:
And that's something that the RCN needs to push.  You don't need fancy equipment to get a workout done. 

Before the Crossfit craze, the RCAF already had this: 

The 5BX Plan is composed of six charts arranged in increasing order of difficulty. Each chart is composed of five exercises that are performed within 11 minutes. The first four exercises are calisthenics, and the last an aerobic exercise. As the individual progresses within the system, the number of each type of exercise that must be performed increases and the difficulty of each exercise increases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5BX

Dimsum said:

I like the Forward from the Chief of Defence Staff on page 1,
http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/5bx-plan.pdf

Dimsum said:

It was far, far ahead of it's time in that respect.  I had a reprint of that book at one time.

They came out with a 10 BX as well - my Dad was addicted to doing it back in the 70's and 80's.

MM

Back