• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saluting during Remembrance day ceremonies

I'd rather see no salute than an Army Cpl saluting during the Anthem with one hand in his pocket, a beard on his face, and late after quickly putting out a smoke. Pretty appalling.
  I wasn't 100% on saluting during the moment of silence either, glad I guessed right and now I know for sure.

During remembrance Day you do not salute during the Silence, the case mentioned is for a Funeral guard Officer.  For remembrance day it is easy, National Anthem( include God Save the Queen, colors ( and or gun) or flag going up and down ( if they do it for the last post and rouse ) if not then during last post arm up, then down for silence and lament ( if they have it) then back up for the rouse.  The cenotaph guard will be at rest on your arms reverse through out. but start and end that postion at the present to pay compliments to the monument. 

Or as one smart cookie pointed out and something I am sure most of us have done before.  Watch the highest rank NCO nearest the ceremony outside of a formed body. 

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd like to think the WOs/MWOs/CWOs there are noting ranks and names and making some phone calls to the Base CWO or something to that affect.

I am not surprised though. 

That's part of the problem in today's military. Too many people just go to the supervisor!!! Never pass a fault! If you see something wrong, point it out immediately! Don't go behind the soldier's back (not in that sense) because then it becomes a case of he said, she said, don't make it happen again. It's less effective.

There is nothing wrong with addressing the problem immediately and then going to see the supervisor. Very effective!

2023 said:
That's part of the problem in today's military. Too many people just go to the supervisor!!! Never pass a fault! If you see something wrong, point it out immediately! Don't go behind the soldier's back (not in that sense) because then it becomes a case of he said, she said, don't make it happen again. It's less effective.

There is nothing wrong with addressing the problem immediately and then going to see the supervisor. Very effective!

I fully agree especially when I get to use my BIG BOY voice, which even in a whisper is very very effective.

helpup said:
I fully agree especially when I get to use my BIG BOY voice, which even in a whisper is very very effective.

Pro Patria!

helpup said:
Some, like CWO Williamson (some of you may know him), don't even have to say anything - you just sense the shxx coming down and the burning of his glare as you realize that you were doing something wrong - I can vouch for that  ;D

Anyway, thank you all for your comments. Perhaps for next year the word will be passed around and we all look like we are on the same page.

cheers,
Frank

Watch the highest rank NCO nearest the ceremony outside of a formed body.

Why? when I can watch a senior officer screw it up too.

kincanucks said:
Watch the highest rank NCO nearest the ceremony outside of a formed body.

Why? when I can watch a senior officer screw it up too.

Hey now if your going to quote me do it in the right context...... ;D
but your right if your SIWT then go for the amusement aspect.

I fail to see why, after 150 years of futility, we still try to piss into the wind.

Drill and ceremonial, like doctrine, is the opinion of the senior officer present. Manuals issued by some faceless grey bureaucrat in Ottawa are interesting guidance - that may or may not inform the views of said senior person present.

I have, in various capacities, been on dozens of Remembrance Day parades, and hundreds of others. In almost every case the format and procedures were slightly/somewhat/quite a bit/radically different from whatever I did last time. Sometimes I changed the ‘rules’ because I thought I had a better idea or because I wanted to add or replace or revert back to some wrinkle or quiff - or just because I could.

Eye In The Sky said:
Why not include Warrant Officers in it too?   ;D
well at most small towns a WO is the highest rank serving who is present.  Being one though in a larger cerimony we generally get our marching orders from the CWO who is present.

Or since it is not hard to figure out yet most seem to have trouble do what you know is right since your SIWT, and watch those in the parade watch you and follow your proper example.

E.R. Campbell said:
I fail to see why, after 150 years of futility, we still try to piss into the wind.

Drill and ceremonial, like doctrine, is the opinion of the senior officer present. Manuals issued by some faceless grey bureaucrat in Ottawa are interesting guidance - that may or may not inform the views of said senior person present.

I'm sorry Mr. Campbell, i'm going to have to disagree here. While i'm wholeheartedly in agreement with you on the fact that SOME manuals should be taken for face value and judgement has to be used at times (i.e. the Supply Manual), there are two manuals that cannot be subject to whims - the A-AD-265 and the A-PD-201. Drill can't be just an opinion of a senior officer - as you should know, we teach drill a particular way - for a reason. If you decide to change a protocol regarding my uniform or a movement regarding my drill on a whim, then someone is going to do it wrong again - most likely in front of an RSM who doesn't have a sense of humor - period.

Drill is drill my friend and the book is their for a reason - uniformity. Ever see the Russians or Germans perform drill? I can assure you THEY do not change things when the wind blows a different direction. Senior Officer present or otherwise. I can just imagine trying to explain that to the Sea Cadets to whom I teach drill to - some of which will undoubtedly make excellent CF personnel some day.

BinRat55

I suspect Edward Campbell had his tongue firmly inserted in his aged cheek and was referring to the legendarily high standard of drill exhibited by senior officers. Like our knowledge of tactics, our drill is based on what little we can recall from our days as downy-cheeked officer cadets.

Actually, BinRat55, my tongue was only part way in my cheek. Get together a handful of NCOs from some of Canada's premier regiments and ask them to show you how to come to the halt. Then come back and tell me that anyone gives a damn about some dusty manual.

I was, however, concerned mainly with ceremonial rather than drill, per se.

E.R. Campbell said:
Sometimes I changed the ‘rules’ because I thought I had a better idea or because I wanted to add or replace or revert back to some wrinkle or quiff - or just because I could.
It works for me.

well, maybe not all the time...

in fact, hmmm, rarely...

;D

A rule is like a steel rod; straight, unbendable.
Until you alter the characteristics or our space-time continuum frame and then you get a noodle...

someone must have spiked the coffee in the office...

Using the drill in CAMT 2-2 and its modern cousin as a rough guide is a long standing tradition. I recall while serving as a NCM at least two changes to the halt adopted more or less as a whim of the RSM. We also adopted the dragging of the left leg as the first movement of the about turn on the march in quick time for the same reason. As for dress regulations, which merited the same rigid adherence, we also changed the wearing of our puttees in regard to where the point ended on the inside or the outside of the ankle as well as what was done with the end of the tape. If there was such a thing as male pms, the RSM may have suffered from it. But then, so did the rest of his colleagues, so there had to be another reason.

E.R. Campbell said:
Actually, BinRat55, my tongue was only part way in my cheek. Get together a handful of NCOs from some of Canada's premier regiments and ask them to show you how to come to the halt. Then come back and tell me that anyone gives a damn about some dusty manual.

In that case, consider me part way apologetic. Just because the RCR's have a halt that looks different than the one in the drill manual doesn't make it right. I get the joke, really, but the joke is not in your sentiment - it's in the discipline of today's younger soldier, partly brought on by Sr NCO / NCM's and officers who feel it necessary to change the rules whenever they please.

No, really, Sir, it's not you "per se" - you managed to touch on a nerve at the wrong time. It happens. But my original rant still stands - discipline means following the rules, even if you don't like or agree with them.

Mr. Campbell - all else aside, I hope your Rememberance Day went well. You, and many like you were in my thoughts on Tuesday and I have much respect for the time you gave your country and selfless acts you must have performed through out your career. Thank you.

To Recce (et al) - Sorry for the hijack... I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I can't seem to find my answer anywhere.  I will be parading in uniform with my local legion for the remembrance day ceremony tomorrow.  I will be formed up with the legion members.  What I am unsure of is if I salute individually when marching past the Cenotaph, or simply do an eyes right.  I'm not sure if the legion members will be calling out the words of command.  I have read the CF Drill manual 201 and can't seem to find a clear answer.  As far as the Anthem/last post/reveille I believe I'm considered a part of a formed body of troops and therefore do not salute as an individual for those. 

Thanks for the help

Back