• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seamless Canada - MND

ballz said:
And you think this far more complicated solution will not be messed up by politicians and bureaucrats alike?

A second crack at PLD would likely yield better results and would again be far simpler.
I don't think flat tax is the way to go, I'd rather a system where you pay provincial tax from where your SOR says you vote. After all, the military is only temporarily moving you around.

There is no political appetite to fight TB bureaucrats on PLD changes, and I'm willing to bet these changes will be fought by them as well.

I’ll be ecstatic if we can keep license plates, registration, drivers license and dependents health cards from posting to posting. 

One of my peeve is the provincial vehicle inspection.  Some places are really hard to pass. I had a 1 year old car (car was shipped, not driven and only had 5,000 km on it) fail because of a random computer code that even the dealership had no idea how to deal with since it wasn’t in their books. And then you see beaters missing parts driving around town without issues...

Yes, IRP pays for the inspection.  But it doesn’t pay for the “repairs” and “troubleshooting” needed, especially with somewhat older cars, that you would not normally have to pay for if you didn’t move province.

SupersonicMax said:
I’ll be ecstatic if we can keep license plates, registration, drivers license and dependents health cards from posting to posting. 

One of my peeve is the provincial vehicle inspection.  Some places are really hard to pass. I had a 1 year old car (car was shipped, not driven and only had 5,000 km on it) fail because of a random computer code that even the dealership had no idea how to deal with since it wasn’t in their books. And then you see beaters missing parts driving around town without issues...

Yes, IRP pays for the inspection.  But it doesn’t pay for the “repairs” and “troubleshooting” needed, especially with somewhat older cars, that you would not normally have to pay for if you didn’t move province.

Ahhh yes, also known as the the traditional changing of the windshield upon posting out from AB and hoping you don't get hit by a rock driving out!

ballz said:
There's a far easier solution to this than the stuff being proposed. A CAF-Posting tax credit which is calculated as the difference in tax rates * percentage of the year lived in the former province * your effective tax rate in your new province.

This credit would essentially mean you pay the rates for the first 6 months in the province you came from, and then the last 6 months in the province you are now living in, instead of paying rates for the entire year based on the province you lived in on 31 Dec.

The Federal gov't doesn't even need the provinces to play ball with this, they could do it without them if they are willing to forego the revenue wholly on the Federal side. Adding a tax credit is pretty simply for legislative purposes as well.

EDIT: This tax credit could extend to anyone posted by the Federal gov't, such as the RCMP.

I would say this is the more fair solution for both tax payers and posted public service members. That was outside my box of thought.

Back