• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

Mud Recce Man said:
"Are the ZERO trades going to SLT after BOMQ"

;)

...or are they off to CAP?

SLT during DP1 for Anglo and Franco officers is limitted to Legal O, PAO and Social Worker. Franco Officers must have SLT in fol MOSIDs: AEC, AERE, AF ENGR, ANAV, CELE (Air), PLT, SIGS, MARS, MS ENG, NCS EMG, BIO, NUR and some CHAP.

SLT for NCMs is not mandatory and would only be provided if space available or for Command Chief Appointment. I looked at all 5 DPs (BMQ, PLQ, ILQ, ALQ and CQC) for NCM/Os, WOs and there is no mention of SLT.

Rick Ruter said:
SLT during DP1 for Anglo and Franco officers is limitted to Legal O, PAO and Social Worker. Franco Officers must have SLT in fol MOSIDs: AEC, AERE, AF ENGR, ANAV, CELE (Air), PLT, SIGS, MARS, MS ENG, NCS EMG, BIO, NUR and some CHAP.

SLT for NCMs is not mandatory and would only be provided if space available or for Command Chief Appointment. I looked at all 5 DPs (BMQ, PLQ, ILQ, ALQ and CQC) for NCM/Os, WOs and there is no mention of SLT.

Umm not BMQ...BOMQ (formerly known as BOTP...)

ArtieNewbie was wondering if anglo Cmbt Arms Officers are doing SLT... :)

Rick Ruter said:

Isn't it just what I wrote???  I included NCMs but the quote above is about Officers, hence BOMQ. No Cbt Arms Officers in there.

RR,

I didn't know why you put the NCM stuff in...

However in your post, you say SLT for Franco Officers is limited to Leg O, PAI and SW, then go on to say...Franco Officers must have SLT in fol MOSIDs...and list different ones, 13 MOSIDs.

Mud Recce Man said:
RR,

I didn't know why you put the NCM stuff in...

However in your post, you say SLT for Franco Officers is limited to Leg O, PAI and SW, then go on to say...Franco Officers must have SLT in fol MOSIDs...and list different ones, 13 MOSIDs.

Mud, there is a cure for dislexia. ;)

Read carefully and you'll see that I wrote for Anglo and Franco in the first part. I only included the NCM because of the overall subject of this forum. Some readers are potential NCMs and would probably like to know if it applies to them. :cheers:

Seen... Doh!

I just ate lunch..must be the "food stupids" kicking in...

Rick Ruter said:
Duty fog bank rolled in over Eastern Passage yet?

No idea...I am "elsewhere" in NS.  Should be right on time at 1600'ish...when I get home though.

:mad:

I can't find any current threads on this topic, and my question revolves around a possible (recent or near-future) policy change with regards to second language training.

I was informed recently (by military personnel, yes) that the second language training is no longer being conducted after BMOQ (reg force), but is instead being done later on in one's training. The reason for this is supposedly the high dropout rate of new officer candidates who get frustrated with their second language courses and quit. Go figure...after all the waiting, making it through basic training, and graduating, some officer candidates will actually give up over difficulties with second language training?  :-\

What I am wondering is this: Is this actually the current policy or is it something that is in the works for the future? I do intend to ask the same question at the local CFRC when I get a chance, but they don't always have the information we are looking for offhand, so I thought I'd double my chances of getting a response by posting my query here as well.  Thanks.

[Edited to replace 'recruits' with 'officer candidates'...still learning the jargon.  ;)]

From what I've been told, again, I could be off on this one, they want you to be trained in your trade first, then get the second language through the MFRC once you get posted. This could just be for NCM's though.

The new SLT policy is on a contingency basis and is no longer available for all officers after phase 1.  Some trades do require a language profile; SLT will be available for them. 

The reason for the change had nothing to do with retention. 

CelticGirl,

I'm in the same boat, I've completed IAP and will attend BOTP this summer, and normally an ROTP (Reg Officer Training Plan) OCdt (Officer Cadet, there's some jargon for ya) would also complete their SLT during the same summer.
  However, I've been told that my SLT may not happen this summer. This may be further compounded by the fact that my trade is pilot, and I will have to a LONG time (over a year is common, I believe) to go on Primary Flight and Basic Flight training, so I can do SLT then.
  So to answer your question, as far as I know the policy is changing, I just have no idea how.

PS- For the record, I really want to be more bilingual and am looking forward to SLT, but I heard that it was not REQUIRED by the CF until the rank of Major, which seems like huey. Is this true or just a rumour?

benny88 said:
PS- For the record, I really want to be more bilingual and am looking forward to SLT, but I heard that it was not REQUIRED by the CF until the rank of Major, which seems like huey. Is this true or just a rumour?

The captain at my local CFRC told me that second language proficiency wasn't officially required.  However, he told me that not possessing the ability to speak fluently in both languages would make it much more difficult to advance to senior officer ranks and postings.

Came off SLT in Dec 07, and was the 2nd-last intake (for Anglos at least) where all trades took it after BOTP.  When I left, the only Anglo SLT people left were Pilots, Public Affairs Officers and Legal Officers (and whoever specifically needs a profile.)  It is now a 44-week course, with the end result of a BBB profile.  As for the Francos, it was essentially the same, plus Comms Research Ops and AECs as their instruction is all in English (they also need a different profile...which escapes me now.) 

When I went through, ROTP students took a 10-week course in the summer.  That may or may not be the case now.

Dimsum said:
When I left, the only Anglo SLT people left were Pilots, Public Affairs Officers and Legal Officers (and whoever specifically needs a profile.) 

Don't forget about the INT people! Apparently (If I get accepted still) I would be one of the ones who gets to go for extensive SLT, which I am really looking forward to. I have always wanted to get better at my French. (French classes in high school in BC really don't do any justice to the language and there is no where here to really practise it.)

Back