• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

I would still take that list with a pound of salt - things constantly change.  As an example - for Trg Dev (my classification) at least a BBB in English is required if you are French FOL.  We only have a couple of positions in our branch that are unilingual French, all others are English or bilingual.  But the chart says no SLT is required for either official language.

Anyone have any info on the Second Language School in Shearwater? I'm having trouble finding anything on the DIN.

Look for WCOL on the Wing's DIN page. Thats the Wing's coordinator for official languages.

You're looking for the LTC (A), I am trying to find the link to the PSU Halifax site or the CDA site.

Ok.  I don't seem to be able to find the damn Intranet site.  I believe LTC (A) [Language Trg Center (Atlantic)] falls under MARLANT N11, but 30+ minutes of looking on the MARLANT site and I came up with squat.

I can tell you that the LTC (A) is located in the old school building on the Upper Base in Shearwater, which also houses the CANEX, MFRC and Chaplain's office. 

If you are interested, PM me your @forces.gc.ca email address and I'll send you his contact info.

I tend to visit this site and the forces.ca site quite regularly, curious about what may lay ahead of me in the CF (I just sent in my application papers this morning, woot). I know you guys practice safe use of the search button (which every forum should!), but I could not find an answer to my question. Anyways let's get to my question..

I was reading the benefits page on the forces.ca website, and I noticed under Education and Training..

The Canadian Forces (CF) has outstanding education, training and professional development opportunities, such as paid tuition, second language training and financial support for continuing education.

Who are these services available to? Maybe just officers? Is it JUST to learn French? Can we only do it if we're required to?

I hope that made sense..

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, if it is PLEASE do move it.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to click the thread and thanks for the staff running this site - its a goldmine!

~Darren

Languages other than the official languages are only really taught to people that require it for their job, or are going on an OUTCAN (in rare cases).

There's a variety of options for SLT, from a year long french course to smaller classroom courses run at various bases. Anyone can apply for them, however the preference is for higher ranks to have it.

I'm on the year long french course now, along with a lot of MCpls from my Battalion.  Before that, we had sent very few people on second language training.  It has bitten the Regt in the ass.  It is required for advancement beyond certain ranks to be bilingual, from what I understand, and gives more points to you for the merit boards.

That being said, yes, you can request it.  But if you are a new Pte in an infantry Battalion you prob won't get it as there is no requirement at that stage for you to have it.  Your chain of command will be the one that decide who the put on the course. They will base this off many things, one of them being long term planning for the Battalion and Regiment, and looking ahead at key positions to be filled. 

For any CWO senior appointments, to be competitive, you need BBBs up to until you hit one of the big 5 (Navy/Army/Airforce/CMP CWOs and CF CWO).  For those, to be competitive you need CBCs.  Most of the military is now realizing that the time to take SLT is not when you get promoted to CWO or even MWO.  Kiwi99 has it right, do it at the MCpl/Sgt/WO level.

One other point, in addition to the residential courses there is web based training.  http://www.allies.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp Any member can sign up for it, there are limited spots, and if you are not on a officially loaded course, apparently you cannot do the verbal interaction with a facilitator, but can still work on reading, comprehension, and grammar.

Edit for spelling  :-X

Kiwi99 said:
That being said, yes, you can request it.  But if you are a new Pte in an infantry Battalion you prob won't get it as there is no requirement at that stage for you to have it.  Your chain of command will be the one that decide who the put on the course. They will base this off many things, one of them being long term planning for the Battalion and Regiment, and looking ahead at key positions to be filled.

I would disagree with you on that - as Canada has a bilingual force, every soldier needs to have some basic level of understanding in both languages.  Even a basic RCR or PPCLI Private needs to understand the commands given by a VanDoo Corporal. 

Greymatters said:
I would disagree with you on that - as Canada has a bilingual force, every soldier needs to have some basic level of understanding in both languages.  Even a basic RCR or PPCLI Private needs to understand the commands given by a VanDoo Corporal.

How often are PPCLI or RCR Ptes placed in that situation?

It can also be vice-versa; and this happens more often than you would think. While as a former PPCLI soldier we had contact with VanDoo units every year during training, exercises and other events.

You also miss the point - how many times does 'it' have to happen before we 'need it'?  We dont 'need' our rifles every day, and some soldiers go for years without a deployment to an operation or tasking, yet they are expected to use a rifle on a regular basis and be proficient with it. 

An important communication tool like language is no different.  If anything, the lack of cross-language training acts as a continuing barrier to inter-unit cooperation.  If every soldier spoke both languages to a minimum standard we wouldnt have to be fixated with 'English-primary' and 'French-primary' rotation issues.

AmmoTech90 said:
For any CWO senior appointments, to be competitive, you need BBBs up to until you hit one of the big 5 (Navy/Army/Airforce/CMP CWOs and CF CWO).  For those, to be competitive you need CBCs.  Most of the military is now realizing that the time to take SLT is not when you get promoted to CWO or even MWO.  Kiwi99 has it right, do it at the MCpl/Sgt/WO level.

I can tell you that part of the Sup/Ammo tech career manager's briefing this year includes the new CANFORGEN details wrt merit points and language profile requirements for promotions to different rank levels.

It also includes the statement that the year-long courses will be considered only for those who have consistently demonstrated outstanding leadership, the potential to advance in rank or into succession planning posns and the ability to learn and retain a second language. All candidates must have a clear endorsement from their CoC and demonstrated ability before careers will consider testing them for loading. In other words, your average Cpl isn't just going to find themselves on a year long french course - even if they request such.

I can only recommend that all personnel avail themselves of the opportunity to undertake whatever language trg they can - and at the earliest possible opportunity. Blocks of mods work well, but approved requests for "cours continu" are going to be very very rare at the lower rank levels. Look after yourselves folks. Talk to your local language school about what is avail for you out there at your location. Only the year-long is career managed.

CDN Aviator said:
For every private to undergo SLT is unrealistic.

And too expensive.  Im sure there are all sorts of other good arguments against it.

Im not talking about full immersion lasting a year - even two weeks training time during basic and another two weeks during the first year of service would be a good start.  Apparently many of our French-speaking recruits get this training - why not vice-versa?

Thats rhetorical by the way.  If you think its a bad idea, Im unlikely to change your mind just by posting an enthusiastic response.

I agree in saying this is something very important, and also you need time to learn it and be comfortable with it, and thats another reason why the course shouldnt be given at the last minute (aka just before promotion)

I've actually seen 2nd language training forced on french pers, all the while the english pers requesting learning french were turned back quick.

I would consider mandatory 2nd language training to all francos posted to english bases and vice versa, I work with some good troops, who are hardcore french, they can get by sort of with some help, but they've never been offered english training, and we're in ontario, I just don't get it.

Then again the clerks/language people/personnel management system, needs to keep better track of language qualifications, I had to fight for 2-3yrs to get mine changed to the appropriate quals, even though I had my test results handed in, they had my 1st and 2nd languages flipped and wouldn't change them.

Biggoals2bdone said:
Then again the clerks/language people/personnel management system, needs to keep better track of language qualifications, I had to fight for 2-3yrs to get mine changed to the appropriate quals, even though I had my test results handed in, they had my 1st and 2nd languages flipped and wouldn't change them.

They COULDN'T change them; this is a language school issue. ALL language profile courses, and testing results, are input by Canadian Forces Language School Staff, not military clerks.

ArmyVern said:
It also includes the statement that the year-long courses will be considered only for those who have consistently demonstrated outstanding leadership, the potential to advance in rank or into succession planning posns and the ability to learn and retain a second language.

Woo Hoo, I really tricked them this time!!!!

Biggoals2bdone said:
Vern: they were contacted, and gave the clerks and myself the run around.

Exactly; it's not a clerk problem. It's a contractor problem with the results section in Asticou  the national hub for the language schools. No one else has authority or access to the profile portion of your MPRR.

Back