• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

@Dwalter...I was under the impresson one couldn't go INT O directly, but rather had to "remuster" (I think that's the word?) to that trade later on after gaining some military experience. No?

Great information re: SLT, everyone. I'm trying to gauge just how much time I'll be in St. Jean (if I get an offer) before going on to Phase II. While I would love to upgrade my second language skills, I prefer to do it in a later stage of training so as not to extend phase I, so this new policy suits me just fine and dandy.  :)  I was initially told by the recruiters here that SLT would be 2-8 months, at least 2-3 months even if your French is good (mine's not terrible, just rusty). I'm planning to ask them about it again in hopes that they have updated information for me. Ultimately, the more time I spend in Phase I, the more time I spend away from my daughter. All of you parents out there can relate, I believe.

dwalter said:
Don't forget about the INT people! Apparently (If I get accepted still) I would be one of the ones who gets to go for extensive SLT, which I am really looking forward to. I have always wanted to get better at my French. (French classes in high school in BC really don't do any justice to the language and there is no where here to really practise it.)

INT Os no longer require SLT either.

INT Os are not linguists and do not get 'extensive SLT' in French or any other language.

Celticgirl said:
@Dwalter...I was under the impresson one couldn't go INT O directly, but rather had to "remuster" (I think that's the word?) to that trade later on after gaining some military experience. No?

Not true anymore, the regulations have recently changed. One is required to re-muster as an INT Operator, but INT O is now available to ROTP and DEO applicants.

Also a quote from the CF Recruiting website's INT O article, under the heading "Qualification Requirements":

"They must have a good understanding of military operations in the world, both in peace and war, and excellent written and oral communication skills in both official languages."

That was the only reason why I figured it would be important for them to have SLT.

Re IntO SLT - hubby is an Int O, with AAA profile (ie, very limited skills for those who don't know the profiles), and was told by the CM last week that he would not get any more SLT, unless he was slated to be posted to the Int School.  So whatever the recruiting people say, reality is they don't need any more second language skills than other officers.

We left St Jean in Aug 07 and were the first Anglo course to skip SLT (pilots exc excluded).  Be prepaired to spend extra time on a PAT platoon whereever you end up after CFLRS as these new policies have created a glut in the training system. For example there are a lot of 2LTs kicking around Gagetown at the moment. Over this period you may not be permitted to move your dependants out either. It can be a long haul but well worth it in the end. Good luck!

Well I'll be OK in terms of PAT seeing as I'm doing ROTP anyways so after training each summer its back to the books. It's a shame, now I will have to take French at university to get my language credits done. UBC doesn't let you get a BA without a certain level in a language.

Sorry I feel like I'm getting mixed signals here. If someone could fill in the blanks for me that'd be great:

An Anglo pilot         take SLT this summer after his BOTP

Thanks!:)

Will not.

Pilots need an English profile, not a bilingual one.

Here is a link from the BPSO in Edmonton, shows what trades need what in regards to profiles!

http://edmonton.mil.ca/1asg/asu%20web/bpso/Lang%20Reqrs%20-%20Offrs%20by%20Occ%20--%20Besoins%20Ling%20-%20Offs%20par%20GPM%20--%2020-08-2007.xls

Looks like I don't have access to the site. Would it be possible to post a quote from there Rowshambow?

dwalter said:
edited for missing word (should never type when I'm tired)

Well I'll be OK in terms of PAT seeing as I'm doing ROTP anyways so after training each summer its back to the books. It's a shame, now I will have to take French at university to get my language credits done. UBC doesn't let you get a BA without a certain level in a language.

dwalter - The university I'm going to also requires language credits to complete the degree. I see this as a good thing because in the long run, anything that improves my communication skills will help me to be a better officer. I'm adding this not to be critical, just to offer another view.

As for the SLT, I will be glad if I get it but I won't count on it to provide me with all the language skills I will require. I don't see anything wrong with picking up the odd night course here an there, even if it's out-of-pocket, but that' just me.

This is what I try to keep in mind - The bottom line is that when i finish my training and a French speaking soldier hears an order from me, he or she will no doubt judge my competency based on how well the message is delivered and not just the content. 

Sure, I'll see what I can do!!
It doesn't look as good without all the lines, but you get the jist!!
oh ya just in case, where it says "FOl-French Only" it means that they  (The Francos) have to take English

Occupational Level Linguistic Requirements Profil linguistique requis selon le niveau professionnel
Occupation Grouping DP 1 SLT Reqr? DP1 SL Level Reqr Profession Élément d'appartenance FLS requise durant la PP 1? Profil linguistique requis pour la PP 1
AEC Air Yes - FOL-French Only BBB C AÉRO Air Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
AERE Air Yes - FOL-French Only BBB G AÉRO Air Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
AF ENGR Air Yes - FOL-French Only BBB GA Air Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
ANAV Air Yes - FOL-French Only BBB NAV AIR Air Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
CELE (AIR) Air Yes - FOL-French Only BBB GE COMM (AIR) Air Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
PLT Air Yes - FOL-French Only BBB PIL Air Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
ARMD Land No N/A BLINDÉS Terre Non S/O
ARTY Land No N/A ARTIL Terre Non S/O
EME Land No N/A GEM Terre Non S/O
ENGR Land No N/A GÉNIE Terre Non S/O
INF Land No N/A INF Terre Non S/O
SIGS Land Yes - FOL-French Only BBB TRANS Terre Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
MARS Sea Yes - FOL-French Only BBB MAR SS Mer Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
MS ENG Sea Yes - FOL-French Only BBB GSM Mer Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
NCS ENG Sea Yes - FOL-French Only BBB GSCN Mer Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
BIO CMP/HS Yes - FOL-French Only CBC BIO CPM/SS Oui - PLO - Français seulement CBC
DENT CMP/HS No N/A A DENT CPM/SS Non S/O
HCA CMP/HS No N/A ASSAN CPM/SS Non S/O
HSO CMP/HS No N/A OSS CPM/SS Non S/O
MED CMP/HS No N/A MÉD CPM/SS Non S/O
NUR CMP/HS Yes - FOL-French Only BBB S INFIRM CPM/SS Oui - PLO - Français seulement BBB
SOCW CMP/HS Yes - All BBB T SOC CPM/SS Oui - Dans tous les cas BBB
PHARM CMP/HS No N/A PHARM CPM/SS Non N/A
PHY TH CMP/HS No N/A PHYSIO CPM/SS Non N/A
LOG CMP No N/A LOG CPM Non N/A
CHAP CMP Some Job-based AUM CPM Dans certains cas Selon l'affectation
MPO CFPM No N/A OPM GPFC Non S/O
INT CMP No N/A RENS CPM Non S/O
PSEL CMP No N/A S PERS CPM Non S/O
TRG DEV CMP No N/A DÉV INSTR CPM Non S/O
LEGAL CMP Yes - All BBB DROIT CPM Oui - Dans tous les cas BBB
MUSC CMP No N/A MUS CPM No S/O
PAO CMP Yes - All BBB OAP CPM Oui - Dans tous les cas BBB
Applicable to DEO, CEOTP, CFR, CEOTP-Internal, SCP La matrice est applicable aux officiers du PEOD, du PFOEP, du PIOSR, du PFOEP­Interne et du PSAC
Changed 20 Aug 07 Changée le 20 août 07

thats good to know, i wonder why they tell you that you have to do SLT for every officer trade?

Wow, thanks so much Rowshambow. That's a really helpful list!

Penny, I also intend to take my French courses, but I had been hoping to do military SLT because I thought the learning environment might have been more stimulating. Anyways, now that I know how the system works, I will definitely put the effort into my university French courses in order to get the most of it.

Rowshambow, if you could clean that up into proper columns, I recommend that this be stickied. Thanks a lot for the list man, helps a lot.

benny88 said:
Rowshambow, if you could clean that up into proper columns, I recommend that this be stickied. Thanks a lot for the list man, helps a lot.

Good luck with that!! I'm a mod ... and I still can't make the damn "columns" layout friggin' work ... and I have tried numerous times.  :mad: But I am a numpty anyway -- so really that doesn't say much that I can't do it.

It's probably easier to upload it as a file that can be opened by using the "additional options" button.

After taking a closer look I see at the bottom of that list it says it does not apply to ROTP. I imagine the requirements are similar, but just be aware, this may not apply to you. Anyone have an ROTP relevant list?

Dunno if this will help ...

Occupational Level Linguistic Requirements

Occupation GroupingDP 1 SLT Reqr?DP1 SL Level Reqr
AECAirYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
AEREAirYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
AF ENGRAirYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
ANAVAirYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
CELE (AIR)AirYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
PLTAirYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
ARMDLandNoNA
ARTYLandNoNA
EMELandNoNA
ENGRLandNoNA
INFLandNoNA
SIGSLandYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
MARSSeaYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
MS ENGSeaYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
NCS ENGSeaYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
BIOCMPHSYes - FOL-French OnlyCBC
DENTCMPHSNoNA
HCACMPHSNoNA
HSOCMPHSNoNA
MEDCMPHSNoNA
NURCMPHSYes - FOL-French OnlyBBB
SOCWCMPHSYes - AllBBB
PHARMCMPHSNoNA
PHY THCMPHSNoNA
LOGCMPNoNA
CHAPCMPSomeJob-based
MPOCFPMNoNA
INTCMPNoNA
PSELCMPNoNA
TRG DEVCMPNoNA
LEGALCMPYes - AllBBB
MUSCCMPNoNA
PAOCMPYes - AllBBB

Applicable to DEO, CEOTP, CFR, CEOTP-Internal, SCP
Changed 20 Aug 07

Oops, two more thank yous - one to Gimpy for cleaning it up even more on the other thread and one to ArmyVern for sticking it. (I can't reply on the other thread 'cause it's locked so I had to put this here.)

Back