• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking Cemetery Photo - ST STEPHEN, NB (Updated 12 Jun 11)

Michael, my sister has not gone to Summerside yet, but did send me this link from Veterans Affairs.  Is this a good enough picture?

2755505_2.jpg

OMG
Check out the date on the headstone. :(

This has never occurred to me before, but how did these war dead wind up being buried in Canada? Bermuda I understand as the RCR was sent there first to garrison the island, but bodies were not routinely repatriated in WWI - and IIRC, families were forbidden from having bodies returned privately even if they could afford it. Are these soldiers who died in training or after being medically repatriated from Europe?

There was no repatriation in either war. Pte Riley died somewhere in Canada. Cause?

mariomike, that photo will certainly do.  The stones are notoriously hard to photograph without ideal lighting conditions. Someday if a better shot appears I can insert it.

Soldiers could be repatriated to Canada after being wounded and categorized as unsuitable for further service.  If they later died of war related injuries before the Commonwealth War Graves Commission cut-off date, they were still considered war dead.

Mike

Michael O'Leary said:
mariomike, that photo will certainly do.  The stones are notoriously hard to photograph without ideal lighting conditions. Someday if a better shot appears I can insert it.

Mike

You're welcome, Mike.  ;)

Moe, sorry about that. I probably shouldn't have been trying to post last night considering the condition I was in after the weekend.

Cheers

Mike

No problem, Mike.

Condition good or bad?  ;)  I hope I wasn't posting at oh-dark-stupid Saturday morning when I got home from the Mess dinner.  :-\

You take good photos, Moe!

Michael, I had to run to Hamilton this afternoon and on the way back I found LT Munro's grave in Puslinch. I didn't have the camera with me but I'd like to trim it up a little first anyway, however, I did notice a month differential in the date of his death from your website to the date on his headstone.

Lieut. J.W. Munro RAF
Aged 22 yrs. 4 mos.
Killed at Camp Bordon
Aug. 10 1918
Served two years in France
Asleep in Jesus

I will have time next week for the photo.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Lieut. J.W. Munro RAF

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/Detail&casualty=2756419
Edit to add:
The accident was reported in the Toronto Star 12 Aug 1918, page 4.

Participants on the Great War Forum have now visited and photographed RCR graves in 24 out of 28 cemeteries in the UK.  Still hoping to get a few more from Canadian cemeteries if anyone has an opportunity to visit sites near their homes.

See the first post for the outstanding list.

During our leave next  month, I was planning on taking a side trip to help out with this project.

I wanted to confirm that you have a suitable photo for Sgt-Maj Stanton in Calgary?

If so I will move on to the other photo in Gravenhust, ON I am sure I can take for you.

kratz,

Thank you.  I do have one of Sgt Maj Loftus' grave (Stanton is a middle name), so no need to go out of your way.

I am still looking for one of Pte Pike's grave in Gravenhurst (Lakeview) Cemetery.

On the other side of the Atlantic, members of the Great War Forum have continued to provide photos with a number of cemeteries in the Somme and the one in Denmark being added to my completed list.

Mike

Are you still looking for Sgt. Demaray? I'm back in Prince George, and will gladly make a run down to the cemetery.

My grandfather, a pilot in the RCAF during WW2, is buried in Trinity Cemetary...

When I go home I can get Pte. Millers tombstone...

:salute:

Michael O'Leary said:
kratz,

Thank you.  I do have one of Sgt Maj Loftus' grave (Stanton is a middle name), so no need to go out of your way.

I am still looking for one of Pte Pike's grave in Gravenhurst (Lakeview) Cemetery.

Mike,

I'll stop by Gravenhurst on my way to Pet next weekend and will ensure that I have my camera.

Vern

On the other side of the Atlantic, members of the Great War Forum have continued to provide photos with a number of cemeteries in the Somme and the one in Denmark being added to my completed list.

Mike

Back