• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking Cemetery Photo - ST STEPHEN, NB (Updated 12 Jun 11)

I see that it is up in the Mirimachi.  It may be a while before I get up there, but if I do get the chance, I'll let you know.

EDIT TO ADD:
Given his last name, and given that there are two places known as "Black River" in NB, and given that "Black River Cemetery" gave me the location near Saint John, I may have opportunity to head there this weekend.  Even if he's not buried there, it's a nice drive.

Cheers

TV, thanks. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission gives no detailed directions for the Canadian cemeteries, so I would not be surprised if I guessed the location wrong from the available choices.

Michael O'Leary said:
TV, thanks. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission gives no detailed directions for the Canadian cemeteries, so I would not be surprised if I guessed the location wrong from the available choices.
No problem at all.  There are two places with that name here in NB, (though the one near me is referred to as "Black River, Saint John, New Brunswick").  There was a site I found listing graves in cemeteries in NB; however, it is far from complete.

No no no.  :p

Black River Bridge (the town name) ... along the Black River with a Black River Road is just outside Miramichi;

Black River is another town near Saint John.

I just was up at Black River Bridge about 3 weeks ago while on leave ... dammit.

ArmyVern said:
No no no.  :p

Black River Bridge (the town name) ... along the Black River is Miramichi;

Black River is another town.
Ah....thanks.

(Of course, it's not confusing at all)  ;D

Technoviking said:
No problem at all.  There are two places with that name here in NB, (though the one near me is referred to as "Black River, Saint John, New Brunswick").  There was a site I found listing graves in cemeteries in NB; however, it is far from complete.

The Black River cemetary is another matter.

There is a Black River Cemetary in Black River Bridge too ...  :-X

Black River Cemetery Fund
30 North Black River Road, Black River Bridge, N.B., E1N 5S4

I'll try to get my aunt in to do a recce and check the headstones; she's 10 minutes up the road.

Technoviking said:
Ah....thanks.

(Of course, it's not confusing at all)  ;D

Notice how the river's name, road & street names, and town names are all related to each other?? Kind of like those of us actually born there.  8)

~Yes, Vern said that out loud.  ;D

Found this obit for another vet (WWII) of the same names who was born right after WW1. Miramichi; am thinking - given how we are all related up there and love utilizing same names etc --- that it is the Black River Bridge's Black River Cemetary that may the resting place for whom Michael is seeking.

James Alexander Fowlie c1917-2005

Miramichi - Mr. James Alexander Fowlie, husband of Laura Fowlie, of
the Mount St. Joseph Nursing Home and formerly of Little Branch Road,
Black River Bridge, passed away at his residence, on Friday, November
25, 2005, at the age of 88.

Born in Black River Bridge, he was the son of the late John and
Rebecca (Godfrey) Fowlie. He was a farmer by profession and a Veteran
of the Second World War, serving overseas with the Canadian Army.

He is survived by his wife, the former Laura McLenaghan; two
daughters, Mary Bonney, of London, Ont. and Betty Jones (Lloyd), of
Little Branch Road; one son, Albert Fowlie (Rosemary), of Little
Branch Road; one sister, Dorothy McCabe (John), of Moncton; one
brother, Doug Fowlie (Minnie), of Miramichi; one step sister, Adel
Libby (Garth), of Moncton; five grandchildren; ten great
grandchildren; as well as several nieces & nephews. He was
predeceased by two sisters, Jessie Cameron and Elizabeth Martin.

Visiting will be at Adams Funeral Home Ltd., 140 King St., on Sunday
only, from 2-4 & 7-9 pm. Funeral service will be held from Adams
Funeral Home Chapel, on Monday, November 28, 2005, at 2 pm, conducted
by Rev. David Cleveland. Interment will be in Black River Community Cemetery.

As expressions of sympathy, donations to any charity of the donors'
choice, would be appreciated by the family. Funeral arrangements are
entrusted to Adams Funeral Home Ltd., 140 King St., Miramichi,
telephone 773-3492. http://www.adamsfh.ca/obit_details.asp?obit_id=17430

Hmmm, then found this obit too, for the brother of the above. Notice that one of the girls was named Minnie (just like the spouse's name for the Vet that Michael seeks) ... I'd say we're needing to visit that cemetary in Black River Bridge, Miramichi.

August 6, 2009

J. Dougald Fowlie
1933-2009
Miramichi - Mr. John Dougald (Doug) Fowlie, husband of Minnie Fowlie of Winnipeg Crescent, Miramichi Retirement Community, passed at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital in Fredericton, on Monday afternoon July 20, 2009, at the age of 75. Born in Black River Bridge on September 6,1933, he was the son of the late John G. and Rebecca M. (Godfrey) Fowlie. He was a retired employee of Lafarge Canada Ltd., as well as Courtright Supply Dock Ltd., in Courtright, ON. He was a member of St. Stephen's United Church, Black River Bridge. He was a peacetime Veteran with the Canadian Armed Forces, serving in Germany, France and South Africa.
He is survived by his wife, the former Minnie B..(Blundon) Fowlie; three sons, Darrell Fowlie (Shirley), of Miramichi, Wayne Fowlie (Carol), of Sarnia, ON, and Timothy Fowlie (Helen), of Newcastle, ON one sister, Adelle Libby (Garth), of Moncton; one sister-in-law, Laura Fowlie of Black River Bridge; one brother-in-law, Jack McCabe, of Moncton; two grandchildren, Rachel (Scott) and Jessica; two great-grandchildren, Nolan and Dylan. He was predeceased by three sisters, Jessie Cameron, Elizabeth Martin and Dorothy McCabe; one brother James Fowlie. By request, there will be no visitation at the funeral home. The public is invited to attend a gravesite memorial service to be held at the Black River Community Cemetery on September 6, 2009, at a time to be announced, conducted by Rev. David Cleveland. As expressions of sympathy, donations to the Black River Cemetery Fund, or any charity of the donor's choice, would be appreciated by the family. Funeral arrangements are entrusted to Adams Funeral Home Ltd., 140 King Street, Miramichi, telephone 773-3492, or messages of condolences may be sent online to www.adamsfh.ca

Will contact my Aunt this weekend.

I visit Montreal frequently to visit family i'll try and get all the ones you ask for and i'll send them to you. It might be a while before I get back up there maybe longer than a week if you can wait that long.

aussiechangover, thank you.  There's someone in the Montreal area who may find time to do those ones, so please check the page before you go in case she gets there first.

Thanks

Michael

I continue to be humbled by the support I have received from 'strangers' in my search for grave and memorial photos of Royal Canadians who are the Regiment's war dead of the First World War. Within the past few days, I have received from Pierre Vandervelden, a member of the Great War Forum, images of almost every name of a Royal Canadian on the Vimy Memorial. He has taken the time to photograph 180 names (missing only 3), prepare and label the images and e-mail to me for my webpage.

See the full list of Cemeteries.

See here the remaining cemeteries in France and Canada.

Pro Patria

Michael,

I just received an email in from my Uncle that included pics of all "Fowlie" headstones located in Black River Cemetary, NB. Unfortunately, there is none for an "AJ Fowlie" located in Black River Cemetary. Nor is he listed on their War Fallen Memorial (pic below).

Is it possible, that the original recording of the "official" cemetary name was incorrect? A google of "Black River Cemetary" reveals only the one actual "Black River Cemetary" (& he is not located there), but it does reveal many other variations such as:

Black River United Church Cemetary;
Black River Catholic Cemetary;
Anglican Cemetary of Black River.

All are in the Saint John area. Do you know the denomination of Capt AJ Fowlie?? That may assist the Technoviking (yep, I'm tasking him!!  >:D) in aiding and abetting your search in the Saint John area.

Vern, thank you very much for that.  At least it strikes one possible cemetery off the list and I will have to amend my page to "cemetery location unverified" for the time being.

Unfortunately, I have very little information on Capt Fowlie, and there isn't really anything else to work on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial (where I will have to enquire about the listed regiment) or his entry at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

There is always the possibility that there is an error in the War Graves Commission record, or that the cemetery name has changed in the intervening 96 years since Fowlie's death.

Cemetery page amended as noted: Black River Cemetery

Michael O'Leary said:
Vern, thank you very much for that.  At least it strikes one possible cemetery off the list and I will have to amend my page to "cemetery location unverified" for the time being.

Unfortunately, I have very little information on Capt Fowlie, and there isn't really anything else to work on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial (where I will have to enquire about the listed regiment) or his entry at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

There is always the possibility that there is an error in the War Graves Commission record, or that the cemetery name has changed in the intervening 96 years since Fowlie's death.

On a side note, as you are the SME, in the pic that I just linked, there is (top left corner of the marker) listed one H. Gordon MacNaughton memorialized as being one of our Fallen from the Boer War (1899-1902) and "buried in South Africa". Is there a way to further determine a more precise whereabouts of his grave, or is that forever lost to history?? The CWGC & the Virtual War Memorial sites seems only to hold those records from the Great War and onwards.

ArmyVern said:
On a side note, as you are the SME, in the pic that I just linked, there is (top left corner of the marker) listed one H. Gordon MacNaughton memorialized as being one of our Fallen from the Boer War (1899-1902) and "buried in South Africa". Is there a way to further determine a more precise whereabouts of his grave, or is that forever lost to history?? The CWGC site seems only to hold those records from the Great War and onwards.

Trooper Hugh Gordon  McNaughton - Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Cemetery:
HEIDELBERG OLD CEMETERY
South Africa

Soldiers of the South African War (1899 - 1902) (database link) - Service record: "Contents of File Missing"

Back