• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Service Dress - Right On!

Nordman said:
I think a khaki uniform sounds interesting as long as its not the really light tan....... i do think the the army's DEU is the lesser of all three services right now......

The problem with the Tans was that they were more of a "light sand" colour... not too far off from the old "pinks" officers used to wear in the summer.  Then again, Pinks and TWs were made out of 100% cotton and would wrinkle at the slightest glance... Ugh! 

An OD uniform cut to the DEU pattern would suit pert much all occasions.

Officers could be coaxed into wearing Sam Brown belts on dressier days...
ODs lends itself well to White belts & gloves for ceremonial occasions......  This could be good :)

Dirty Patricia said:
I agree as well.  It was an Airborne tradition and we should leave at that.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
As for bloused trousers, Dirty Patricia has already hit on it:  very Airborne.

A small correction for those interested, a very SSF tradition. I wore my uniform that way from 78 until getting posted out in 86 and I never put on a maroon beret.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
a very SSF tradition

The Airborne was the backbone of the SSF.  Bloused oxblood boots for Airborne troopers predates the SSF in the Canadian Army.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
I think that's definitely the way ahead.  He listens to BTDT guys and this almost has to be put forward as an idea that has the support of a pretty wide constituency, not just a bunch of harumphing staff officers (of which I am one now).

Support from said staff officers will help though.

Before this thread dies, I wanted to ask if there was a way to re-instate the traditional rank system for the Army Mess Dress.  If this is allowed for the Navy (with the executive curl) in Mess Dress, should the Army not be allowed to retain their traditional pip system for the officers?  I know obsolete patterns of Mess Dress may be worn by people who have had them when they were authorized - but I'd wager there are damn few people in the system entitled to wear rank pips.

Thoughts on this?  Again, any way to bring this up efficiently?

My Member of Parliament is (the late Minister of National Defence) Gordon O'Connor.  Would I be remiss in calling him up, and or writing his office a brief letter?

Any Canadian citizen has the right to address any correspondence they so wish to their Member of Parliament, the Prime Minister or any Minister at any time, on any subject of their concern, without fear of retribution or repercussion.  One of the great things about living in Canada.

Would it serve much purpose on this subject?  Unlikely, but you could give it your best shot anyhow...

Corp of guides...
there are many Reserve units (all corps) who have asked for and obtained permission to retain the old "pip & Crown" rank badges on their mess dress.  They also wear same said rank badges on their patrol blues...

Ask for permission and explain why you want / need to use em and you might obtain the nod you appear to want.

It would be interesting to go back to the Star (Pip) and Crown badges of rank on Mess Kit. In the olden days wearing pips was often a method of obtaining a free refreshments by the subbies on the unfortunate new junior officer who had his Stars on the epaulets sideways or upside down! Traditionally, Rifle Regiment officers do not wear badges of rank on Mess Kit. The idea is everyone in the Regiment knows their brother officers (and who are senior officers) My unit does wear badges of rank though - miniatures, gun metal - very difficult to see the acorns in dim light!

As much as I like the old system and as much as I acknowledge that it is almost universally recognized as the "standard" international Army system, this isn't going to fly for a variety of reasons.

Reserve units wear the old system simply because they've been grandfathered.  As far as I know, no Regular Force unit or corps has a similar arrangement.  While mess dress is indeed privately purchased, control of the patterns (which is the key here) is invested within the CF.  Thus Armour Corps mess kit has one standard and that standard is held nationally.  Given the "CF" bias of those in Ottawa, there is no way that a unit not already authorized to wear pips and crowns is going to be permitted to do so.  IMHO, we were lucky to get away with a return to scarlets.

Pips and Crowns are viewed as "British", with all the baggage that that carries for some.  Much as with Service Dress, the only path to success involves ensuring that the "CFness" of uniforms is reflected while maintaining a modicum of tradition.

I thought that was a good idea about officers' rank identifiers being a different shade of khaki (if they are worn on the cuffs of the tunic) but for the army, it just seems to me that they should be on the shoulder straps. How about officers' bars on a metal badge (like our NCM collar rank badges) that would be worn on the shoulder strap of the khaki DEU?

Lol...stumbled onto this threat while writing OPME stuff on Unification...how ironic.

As mentioned by J. Granatstein in his multiple writings, anti-Americanism is the secular religion of Canadians. I think there is a great deal of merit going back to a British-like Service Dress, as long as it isn't too British and our current uniforms are sold as looking too "American". In my opinion, our uniforms look like darker versions of the old US Army Service Dress, minus the weird bling. Personally, I hate the dark green DEUs after many a parade in the summer under a hot sun. The tan DEUs, while an awesome retro-disco uniform, at least mitigated the effects a little bit!

I don't see what's wrong with a khaki version of our current DEU cut. Rank insignia colours could remain identical to those in use now. The colour of the backing would be the only change. Officers would continue to use the cuff system of rank, as it's now identifiably Canadian and harkens back to the cuff embellishments used by the CEF. We should also go back to Sam Browne belts for officers and a heavy belt for NCOs, with infantry NCOs using the sash. Berets would remain the same as they are now. If the colour is right, we may still even get to continue using the Linden Green shirt.

Maybe this can be sold as a reward for the commitment in Afghanistan. Ultimately, it's something that has to be sold to the current government. Given that they've pushed to have the Red Ensign recognized as a symbol of Canada, and that they're waging an image war on that icky "Canada" logo with the stylized Maple Leaf, this is the chance to push the idea.

Back