• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT [Merged]

To anyone going off on course for the first time, here's some advice: read up on common PT injuries, and if there is something wrong with you that you can't treat yourself, get some help. When I did my BMQ, I had never done any running before so I didn't know what to expect and sprained both my ankles in the first week and then kept going, which led to injuries to my leg muscles from having to compensate for the instability which led to me looking like a retarded spaz on course runs. They called me "Private Faceplant" from that point until the course ended. Long story short, I kept my mouth shut and my feet moving (as much as I could get them to, anyway) and made it through (even though going for a little walk was now difficult). SQ was four days later, and I ended up getting a medical RTU 3 days in when it was finally noticed that I appeared to be having some difficulty. Turns out I'd screwed up the ligaments in one ankle really badly so that I had to keep off my feet, not carry anything and wear a brace for six weeks after all the time, and now just when I'm actually doing something...like walking to the store. And I'm going to have to wait a year before I can try SQ again. 
Moral of the story: Toughing it out won't do you any good if you injure yourself and have to drop out of the course or, even worse, cause some lasting damage. Ice it and elevate (or whatever the particular treatment is) and if that doesn't work, go see the doc.

These are some really good points. My pedorist says the three best brands of running sneakers are Asics, Saucony and New Balance. With a good running shoe it should bend only where you would naturally bend your toes, you should be able to twist the shoe moderately (if it twists around easily it's not very supportive) and if you have shin splints you should consider getting a dual density soled shoe, where the medial (inner) part of the shoe is slightly firmer than the outside to help prevent over protating which can help a lot! I used to get really really bad shin splints (I was a hurdler) and really found orthodics helped me a lot.

Hello everyone.

I'm in need of some advice.... I sent my app in for reg forces near the end of November and i started trying to get into shape expecting it to take awhile.

Well i messed up and think i started myself to hard with the wrong kind of shoes.... i ran for about 2 weeks without problems and i was better pretty fast on the treadmill. Then i got a sharp pain in my legs which would hurt ALOT if i ran... if i ran on the treadmill it would lessen to a degree while running but then it would be twice as painful after i stopped. So i did some research on this and found out it was shin splints i tried most of the things i read. I used the other cardio equipment at the gym to put less strain on my legs, it seemed to lessen unless i ran on them. My gym membership ran out Xmas eve. I got a new pair of shoes on Christmas for running which are really comfortable. So i haven't been able to test them out at a gym yet.

I iced my legs every day, took aleve, and started trying to to strengthen them with some exercises i seen on the net. One were you put your foot on a wall with your heel on the ground and it stretches it, and another were you just try and pull your toes towards your legs upward for about 5 minutes.

It seemed to be working fine... i wasn't really doing any exercising since before Xmas, just things at home like push-ups, sit-ups and what not. But last night it was warm enough i figured i could go for a run... i was able to go as far as i could before the cold was making me gasp for air, my legs didn't really hurt much just a little off the start which i thought was because maybe i was going to fast. I did about 1.5km jogging/walking... and i got home my legs didn't feel to bad. Today their don't hurt when I'm walking or anything just if i touch them or say if i squat kind of like a catcher.

Does anyone have any ideas if this could be serious or not? Maybe my legs just need for strenghtening? maybe I'm to heavy for what I'm doing (230 lbs BTW)?
I'm really hurting to figure this out because my interview in Thursday and if they don't wanna wait for me to get into better shape I'll be going to basic and probably ending up in the RFT.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, any tips if someone has had a similar problem or anything would be nice. Thanks

I can honestly say I was in the same situation last year. I wieghed the same as you did and when running without the proper shoes my legs would hurt really bad. I decided to get new shoes and it helped a bit but not much. I  narrowed it down to ShinSplints as well which it wasn't as it turns out. I just toned the running down a notch, did more stretching and didn't go as far as I was going before. Eventually the pains completely disappeared. When the pains dissappeared I weighed myself again and I was at 205lbs instead of 240lbs. So all in all just slow down the pace specially it you are not used to running outdoors...you will notice a difference when you drop a few pounds.

I think the biggest problem is the weight.

While I have not been running lately because I am lazy and hate the roads being a sheet of ice, I still lost that 30-40 pounds and my shins still do not burn nearly as much when crouched down or any other position putting strain on them. So I believe weight, or a rapid-onset of weight can damage your shins pretty bad. Mine are still healing I figure.

This spring.. zoom zoom. haha

I lost my weight by rollerblading, it still puts a bit of pain (or it did at the start) on your shins. But it is much less intense. It is a good work-out if you do it long enough and at a good intensity (just do not go so fast you can not stop for a car ha.) Then I started running the end of fall just to see if it helped and it did, I was stopping more for air then at all for my shins :)

Marshall said:
Hi,

I read the article by para on shin splints (very good)

Im wondering if you guys think i should go see a doctor for help, or if you know the best thing to do?

Ive had S.S for as far back as i can remember, and i dont remember it ever going away. Only last year my gym teacher told me i probably had a problem called shin splints, i always thought it was just muscle burn when i was younger. Until the pain started to get so bad that after 10 minutes of running my shins would be burning a hole in the ground.

I use to run on just my toes usually, which would make me very bouncy. My teacher said it was probably making my calf (or shin) muscles wayy too strong compared to the other muscles around my tibia and making them flame up or something.

He told me to just rest and do a thing where you crunch up a towel with your toes, and that it helps flex all the muscles in your lower leg.

I wasnt very dedicated to the towel thing tho, so here iam with them still. I want to get rid of them now tho for i can begin to exercise much more during my G12 year coming up, and then eventually join the CF. I decided not to take Gym12 for i wouldnt be put into situations of large stress on my shin splints.

Also, is there any drugs to hell combat possible inflamation in the shins?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

-Alex  :blotto:
Oh shin splits... I have fond memories of track and field days where after my race I couldn't walk afterwards.  :p Get a running sneaker that has a dual density sole. ASICS Gel Kayano's are awesome for this. A lot of the time, shin splints result from over-pronation and abnormal movement while running. A stabilizing sneaker can help this. I had the worst shin splints ever until I got orthodics which almost instantly helped. The way you're running is probably the cause of your shin splints, because for jogging you should be striking heel to toe.

INFLAR said:
Oh shin splits... I have fond memories of track and field days where after my race I couldn't walk afterwards.  :p Get a running sneaker that has a dual density sole. ASICS Gel Kayano's are awesome for this. A lot of the time, shin splints result from over-pronation and abnormal movement while running. A stabilizing sneaker can help this. I had the worst shin splints ever until I got orthodics which almost instantly helped. The way you're running is probably the cause of your shin splints, because for jogging you should be striking heel to toe.

Hehe long overdue help for me. I'm good now. But thanks :) I'm sure others will like the information though.

I went to see a doctor about this just to get rid of them as quick as possible. And turns out you NEED to stretch after a run. Focus on the calves, because as they tighten it pulls on your tendons and muscles along the tibia adding unnecessary strain even when you done running. As for during the run they will not have full range of motion increasing the strain. So I found some good stretches on the internet and I am getting better.

Training properly is always key.  As I am an avid running, and at the gym 5 days a week, running every day, what I find works is a good warm up, for me it's a 5 min fast paced walk, a warm up stretch (calves, quads, hamstrings, knees, and shins -rotating your foot in an up to down circle clockwise then counter clockwise- works wonders for preventing shin splints, as it is a muscle not used often), then your cardio, and afterwards a cool down, another 5 min walk reducing in speed, and then finally stretching.

Hello all,

I've got a little over a month until BMQ, however, I've recently been battling a case of shin splints, it was going away but i was too aggressive in the recovery and have reinjured them. With just over a month, they should go away just prior to BMQ, however I'm unsure they will be fully healed, there are no guarantees they won't surface again.

Due to the splints I haven't been able to run for the last 3 weeks, and looks like the next 3 weeks at least. I've been keeping cardio up with cycling, but that just isn't the same as running. And I'm hoping i'm not lowering my cardio/running such that it would hamper me on course.

Just looking for some advice:
Should I just wait it out and go to BMQ, or advise the recruiter and try to get a later class?

May sound silly but how do you know you have shin splints?

Most people get pain in the front of their shins from running or marching or carrying a heavy backpack and automatically assume and cal it shin splints. 

The pain most people feel isn't shin splits, it's pain from just having not used those muscles often enough or their pushing too hard.  Actual shin splits are considerably more painful than the average soldier (or whoever) thinks.

Doesn't sound silly, I even was skeptical at first. However, the running training I have been doing is nothing new or drastically changed. I have been training for over 9 months now, 4 times per week 7-10 kms, due to bad whether ended up on the treadmill for awhile, longer than i should have, and on a switch from treadmill back to road running they originally surfaced. Went to the Doctor and was diagnosed with them.

I want to be able to do my best in basic and then after in sq/dp1, but also don't want to throw in the towel at this opportunity. At the same time if it is best I don't go, I don't want to wait until the last minute to call the recruiter, since I am taking up a spot on course.

I know it is a very subjective situation, however I am looking for ANY advice. Since I have no been through the training..

Well if your really worried about it go to your doctor. I had shin splints went to the doctor and they gave me orthotics. After getting the adjusted it was good. Then I got em again, needed new shoes. As running on concrete like yourself is how I got them, and good non worn out shoes on concrete makes a big difference as we were never designed to run on it. But seriously go see a doctor they're there to help you.

...I used to get terrible shin splints from my days in the infantry.  And because I was in the infantry, I was expected to tough it out...which I did. Until one day, I lost feeling in both of my feet even at times losing sensation up to the knees. I eventually had to see the doc about it.  I was diagnosed with Exertional Compartment Syndrome and saw a surgeon.  An operation would be the only treatment that would work. I opted out of that because of possible permanent nerve damage as a result of surgery.  Plus, I was moving onto the Air Force so the chances of humping over tank rutts would be next to nil. I am currently on permanent Cat for my legs now but becuase of my trade may still be employed. As well, I am recieving a medical pension for my trouble.
  Anyone that tells you to tough it out through an injury is a moron...and you are more of an idiot if you listen to that advice. Risking permanent injury is not worth false bravado...get the facts and listen to no one other than a professional...and even then, don't be afraid to get a second opinion.  And for god's sake, keep records, if need be do up a CF98, and never take "no" for an answer.  Once you are considered "sick, lame or lazy" the military no longer gives you the time of day.

paracowboy
  Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:33:14 »

Thank you very much for posting the info.

i wokrout 3 hours a day / 7 days a week, for personal pleasure and for martial arts + i want to be more than ready for the army when i join. I am kinda sure i have a shin splint because i do a lot of rope skipping ( 20-30 minutes a day ). and now i'v been feeling this pain on my left leg on the side of my shin .. i guess right between the muscle and the shin. I thought it would go away after few days but it's still bothering me not as much as the first few days tho.

I am not sure if i should take few days off.. i can already hear you guys say what a dumb ass stop playing the big macho man and take a week off .. anyway

To all of you guys in the army, thank you for what you are doing , we are proud of you

adahmani said:
paracowboy
  Shin Splints, Blisters, and PT
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:33:14 »

Thank you very much for posting the info.

i wokrout 3 hours a day / 7 days a week, for personal pleasure and for martial arts + i want to be more than ready for the army when i join. I am kinda sure i have a shin splint because i do a lot of rope skipping ( 20-30 minutes a day ). and now i'v been feeling this pain on my left leg on the side of my shin .. i guess right between the muscle and the shin. I thought it would go away after few days but it's still bothering me not as much as the first few days tho.

I am not sure if i should take few days off.. i can already hear you guys say what a dumb *** stop playing the big macho man and take a week off .. anyway

To all of you guys in the army, thank you for what you are doing , we are proud of you
Pretty much right on the button. You should have days off of working out anyway, and if you don't, you're doing it wrong.

Perhaps visit your doctor to ensure that you don't have Stress Fractures.  If that is the case, you'll be taking more than a week off.

Back