• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

Also, the boarding party will still use C7s when part of the Quick Reaction Team, which is used when in situations where there is no imminent threat, but where one could easily emerge, such as going in an out of port.

Not necessarily the Boarding Party....anyone who is tasked as an Upper Deck Sentry will be so equipped.

Well now, thanks for all the advice, So being navy I will use a C7 for gaurd duty? Or a .50 cal sidearm? So there will be additional training in firearms? And does this mean I am to be licensed or will it add to qualifications?

*What is the best way to show I have what it takes to be apart of the boarding party crew?

50 cal is a heavy machine gun not a sidearm. You may never be tasked with upper deck sentry, my advice to you is focus on your trades training and worry about the Boarding Party later. Its up to your Dept on whether or not you can go, but all that has already been discussed in other Boarding Party threads.

I figured as much, and yes what ya are trained for stick with unless ordered to be trained otherwise.

I may not know everything but I might as well ask right?

Ask all you want I am just pointing out that the Navy and or your Department may not always give you what you want. Every ship and department may have a different policy on what your seconday duties may be, I've been in this business for well over 20 years and will attest things may not go as you would like. Thats why its been suggested you take a wait and see approach. When you get to a ship, by all means let your immediate supervisor know you would like to get loaded on the next NBP course, and drop the hint you would like to be an UDS. 50 cal operators are Bosuns and loaders tend to be NAVComms or other Bosuns. As a Stewart, one of your main secondary duties is that of Casualty Clearing, so I would say the likelyhood of you being employed as a UDS are pretty slim. Again, let you supervisor know, but be prepared to be told no as you will have to get several packages completed before they will even really consider you for the NBP.

Prior to going on course, you can google disassembly of the M16/AR-15, Browning Hi-Power pistol and the Sig 220,226 or 229 (almost all the same). This will give you a background knowledge of how to take the firearm apart, so you can absorb your lessons better. You can also google information on other weapons you will come across in your training to increase your knowledge.
However a word to the wise, don’t disassemble your firearm prior to being taught the military way and don’t be to keen to show off your knowledge prior to class on that subject. It just attracts unwanted attention from your instructors.

Very true, I just wondered what will help me gain the right experience for NBP. Advice I do take to heart. Being on a ship which would enable me to gaining more experience for NBP. But everything one does reflects heavily on BMQ correct?

Colin P said:
Prior to going on course, you can google disassembly of the M16/AR-15, Browning Hi-Power pistol and the Sig 220,226 or 229 (almost all the same). This will give you a background knowledge of how to take the firearm apart, so you can absorb your lessons better. You can also google information on other weapons you will come across in your training to increase your knowledge.
However a word to the wise, don’t disassemble your firearm prior to being taught the military way and don’t be to keen to show off your knowledge prior to class on that subject. It just attracts unwanted attention from your instructors.

I will adsorb info yes, But I will only acquire the do's and don'ts, like do not scrape aluminum (stay away from shiny metal) those things.. But what I learn in BMQ will probably be best with on weapon training..

silentspanky said:
Well now, thanks for all the advice, So being navy I will use a C7 for gaurd duty? Or a .50 cal sidearm? So there will be additional training in firearms? And does this mean I am to be licensed or will it add to qualifications?

*What is the best way to show I have what it takes to be apart of the boarding party crew?

The best way to get permission to get loaded into the boarding party course (In my not so humble opinion) is to be good enough at your actual job, that your supervisors will agree that the addition of this secondary duty will not adversely affect your performance in your trade, or hamper your career progression.

The best training you can get for NBP is your trade. If you are a Steward then you will definatly have skills required for NBP. There is always at least one advanced first aider on the team. Along with that having a good idea about how ships are laid out in general will go a long way to helping you. Do not be too concerned about the weapons. In all the years that I have been on NLBP/NBP I have never had to fire a weapon in anger. I have however had to find my way around deep in the bowels of a civilian ship.

FDO said:
Do not be too concerned about the weapons. In all the years that I have been on NLBP/NBP I have never had to fire a weapon in anger. I have however had to find my way around deep in the bowels of a civilian ship.

I don't agree with that sentiment. You should be concerned about the weapon systems you will be employing. Never having fired a shot in anger does not mean you will not, and the situation could not arise where you need to.

Now, if you meant that don't worry about it for now, and concentrate on the MOC training, then I agree with you. However, one should never be unconcerned about their weapons, and the proficiency there of.

Now, if you meant that don't worry about it for now, and concentrate on the MOC training, then I agree with you. However, one should never be unconcerned about their weapons, and the proficiency there of.

That's how I meant it. The young fella seems to be bent on the weapons and weapons only. While it is important to to know, understand and be proficient with the weapons they are only one of many tools that are required for the job.

MedTech said:
I don't agree with that sentiment. You should be concerned about the weapon systems you will be employing. Never having fired a shot in anger does not mean you will not, and the situation could not arise where you need to.

How about this? Don't be too concerned with your proficiency in the weapons typically used by a Naval Boarding Party member prior to getting selected for Naval Boarding Party training. Instead, focus upon learning your trade, proving that you've got a good head upon your shoulders, and general seamanship.

Once you are selected, they will train you up to the standard required. It is after that point that you should "worry" about how good you are at handling them. 

I am not into the weapons aspect, I just look for advice in which would benefit my navial career. I thought researching what I could somewhat expect would help me mentally prepare for whats around the corner. I know there is nothing I will know once I get there but I am trying to prepare myself for some of which is around the corner.

If you say jump, I will say how high, the old army saying as it were. I just want research into what I can expect. But as far I gather. Chill, have a beer and let it happen. Do not stress over it or you will be consumed.

silentspanky said:
On a side note is BMQ different then it use to be? As I am noticing its more proactive on positive reinforcement then the old yelling and swearing of how useless a recruit is?

I found on my BMQ while we did get jacked up, how bad it was depended on the instructor doing the jacking.  The instructors from the combat arms trades tended to tear off a bigger strip.  When I did my BIQ the jackings were much more like what I expected.  This is what I noticed from my course, but each course is different.

Well whatever will be in store for my future, It will be better then my current situation. I have a ok job, however the lifestyle for the armed forces I always was attracted too. Had buddies who are in, some in the states for marines/seals. Never had the guts to really proceed forward until now.

*Due to being lazy and self centered.* I was pretty bad back then.

Originally it was suppose to be SIG OPS. Then MP. Now Navy. I can still do more then that but Navy seemed interesting :p.

Out of topic: Anyone here play xbox 360?

Hey everyone,

Can someone explain to me the process of becoming a member of the boarding party?

Right now I am a Junior W. Eng. Tech working on my Development Package 1, MCR Package, NETP Package, and the Know Your Ship. There is a lot of stuff that I have on my plate as it is. When I was at the fleet school today, I was told I was on a list of potential candidates for the Boarding Party course. I dradon't want to do this course for the following reasons:

1) Already trying to get my trade and NETP packages completed.
2) I do not willingly want to walk into a situation where I can get shot at.

I already directed an e-mail to my career manager. However, he basically said that if I am picked to do the course, I will have to do it.

If you don't want to walk in to a situation where you could potentially get shot at then maybe you shouldn't have joined the CF in the first place.

MSEng314 said:
If you don't want to walk in to a situation where you could potentially get shot at then maybe you shouldn't have joined the CF in the first place.

:goodpost:

Perhaps you could explain why you would joint the military; just to clarify your position.  We are in the business of going into "Harms way" and if necessary shooting at people who may be shooting at us.  Surely you are intelligent enough to realize that.

On another note; there are one or more topics covering Naval Boarding Parties.  Perhaps a quick look at them would be in order.

Back