• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

jpgbrookes said:
2) I do not willingly want to walk into a situation where I can get shot at.

::)

You joined the military why ?

You're in the Navy. You serve on warships. People shoot at warships. You've already willingly walked into a situation where you can get shot at.

jpgbrookes said:
I do not willingly want to walk into a situation where I can get shot at.

One professional to another, please release before you have a detrimental effect on the fighting spirit of your peers. You, personally, are not what we need in the CF.

[/pile on]

Did you miss the part during basic training where they explained the purpose of weapons handling and time spent on the range?

Or did you assume that since you were accepted into the navy that this didn't apply to you.

My advice to you is to make yourself available for the course, regardless of your view on walking into harms way. It may not help your career, but it definitely won't hurt it. Not like asking not to be slated because you don't want to willing go into harms way.

[/pile off]

Since there doesn't seem to be a shaking head smiley, I think this will have to do  :facepalm:

MM

Brihard said:
One professional to another, please release before you have a detrimental effect on the fighting spirit of your peers. You, personally, are not what we need in the CF.

Completely agree; but let's not pretend that we don't already have tons of CF members that are the same. I'm not saying it's a huge issue, but we have tons of people in various trades that treat the CF like a 9-5 or that would a burden/completely ineffective under contact. You are right though, we certainly don't need another one.

Spectrum said:
Completely agree; but let's not pretend that we don't already have tons of CF members that are the same. I'm not saying it's a huge issue, but we have tons of people in various trades that treat the CF like a 9-5 or that would a burden/completely ineffective under contact. You are right though, we certainly don't need another one.

Fully agreed, and the gutless bureaucrats among us should be found and weeded out whenever possible, however unfortunately that will not generally be the case.

Someone who bluntly states to his career manager what has been said here, however, is a clear case of someone who need not be tiptoed around.

But yes, he's hardly the only one, or the worst.

medicineman said:
Since there doesn't seem to be a shaking head smiley, I think this will have to do  :facepalm:

MM

There is this one:  :not-again:

jpgbrookes said:
Hey everyone,

Can someone explain to me the process of becoming a member of the boarding party?

Right now I am a Junior W. Eng. Tech working on my Development Package 1, MCR Package, NETP Package, and the Know Your Ship. There is a lot of stuff that I have on my plate as it is. When I was at the fleet school today, I was told I was on a list of potential candidates for the Boarding Party course. I dradon't want to do this course for the following reasons:

1) Already trying to get my trade and NETP packages completed.

I already directed an e-mail to my career manager. However, he basically said that if I am picked to do the course, I will have to do it.

Dude, the boarding parties of today aren't like they were way back in the Napoleanic war or w/e. You won't be fixing your bayonet and hacking and slashing your way to the enemy's bridge if thats the picture you've got in your mind.Most times the boarding party is used it's for settling disputes between ships and port authorities(i.e. ship doesn't want to pay some fee, boarding party comes in and tells them to figure their sh*t out,end of story) or to counter smuggling operations in Canadian or Int'l waters.Obviously their purpose is to board and take control of enemy vessels by force, but like many other jobs in the CF, it's quite rare for them to actually fufil their primary role on a regualr basis( with the exeption of SAR techs and CANSOF,among others).

As others have already pointed out to you, you're in a situation right now where you can be shot at( or atleast you will be when your done your trade training and are posted to your ship).If you had problems with this you should have thought of that before you joined up.There are loads of people who would jump at the chance to do a Naval boarding party course, it can be an awesome experience if you apply yourself.

Hell, I'm not even in the Navy and I want to do the Boarding Party course ;D. Do the course.Take it in your stride and get your act together when it comes to "being shot at".Just my  :2c: Good luck

TSpoon said:
Dude, the boarding parties of today aren't like they were way back in the Napoleanic war or w/e. You won't be fixing your bayonet and hacking and slashing your way to the enemy's bridge if thats the picture you've got in your mind.Most times the boarding party is used it's for settling disputes between ships and port authorities(i.e. ship doesn't want to pay some fee, boarding party comes in and tells them to figure their **** out,end of story) or to counter smuggling operations in Canadian or Int'l waters.Obviously their purpose is to board and take control of enemy vessels by force, but like many other jobs in the CF, it's quite rare for them to actually fufil their primary role on a regualr basis( with the exeption of SAR techs and CANSOF,among others).

As others have already pointed out to you, you're in a situation right now where you can be shot at( or atleast you will be when your done your trade training and are posted to your ship).If you had problems with this you should have thought of that before you joined up.There are loads of people who would jump at the chance to do a Naval boarding party course, it can be an awesome experience if you apply yourself.

Hell, I'm not even in the Navy and I want to do the Boarding Party course ;D. Do the course.Take it in your stride and get your act together when it comes to "being shot at".Just my  :2c: Good luck

Thank you to everyone for putting things into perspective. I'm not going to apologize for what I said before, but you all are right about me having to sort my **** out about being in the line of fire. Whats done is done, so I might as well make the best of it.

No it is not done.

Seriously, if you have a moral objection to being placed in a situation where shots are being traded, you need to re-think being in the military, period.  I don't say that to be mean to you, but the profession of arms may not be for you.

If it is just a matter of you being nervous or scared of the concept of being on the Boarding Party-relax.  Plenty of people are scared of things like that. Go give it you best try- you might just discover something new and fun abou the Navy.

SeaKingTacco said:
No it is not done.

Seriously, if you have a moral objection to being placed in a situation where shots are being traded, you need to re-think being in the military, period.  I don't say that to be mean to you, but the profession of arms may not be for you.

Exactly.  Always remember that you can easily be posted/deployed to something completely different than what you thought you'd be doing. 

Case in point:  When I finished Nav school, I was posted to an Aurora squadron.  4 months later I was in Afghanistan in a non-flying (well, not physically in the air) role for 6 months.  For our group, that wasn't even uncommon to be plucked out of whatever unit and tossed there.

SeaKingTacco said:
No it is not done.

If it is just a matter of you being nervous or scared of the concept of being on the Boarding Party-relax.  Plenty of people are scared of things like that. Go give it you best try- you might just discover something new and fun abou the Navy.

Its definitely the latter. Your right though, I should at least give it a try before passing judgement.

TSpoon said:
Dude, the boarding parties of today aren't like they were way back in the Napoleanic war or w/e. You won't be fixing your bayonet and hacking and slashing your way to the enemy's bridge if thats the picture you've got in your mind.Most times the boarding party is used it's for settling disputes between ships and port authorities(i.e. ship doesn't want to pay some fee, boarding party comes in and tells them to figure their **** out,end of story) or to counter smuggling operations in Canadian or Int'l waters.Obviously their purpose is to board and take control of enemy vessels by force, but like many other jobs in the CF, it's quite rare for them to actually fufil their primary role on a regualr basis( with the exeption of SAR techs and CANSOF,among others).

Hell, I'm not even in the Navy and I want to do the Boarding Party course ;D.
Dude, your idea of what a boarding party does is pure fantasy on your part.  Are you seriously trying to tell us that a ship's boarding party would storm the harbourmaster's office if there was a dispute over moorage fees? Really??  Furthermore, your comment that their purpose is to take control of enemy vessels by force is also false.  Naval Boarding Parties (NBP) conduct  unopposed boardings i.e. the ship agrees to let them aboard. 

NBP are not in the business of fast-roping onto hostile vessels and using Tommy-Tactical Ninja techniques to subdue all the bad guys.  Walts need not apply for NBP training.

jpgbrookes said:
Hey everyone,

Can someone explain to me the process of becoming a member of the boarding party?

Right now I am a Junior W. Eng. Tech working on my Development Package 1, MCR Package, NETP Package, and the Know Your Ship. There is a lot of stuff that I have on my plate as it is. When I was at the fleet school today, I was told I was on a list of potential candidates for the Boarding Party course. I dradon't want to do this course for the following reasons:

1) Already trying to get my trade and NETP packages completed.

I already directed an e-mail to my career manager. However, he basically said that if I am picked to do the course, I will have to do it.

Getting shot aint bad. Getting hit hurts but build's your rep if you live. It's a great way of putting life into perspective and a good rush/bit of fun to knit the dull pieces together. If I was your Cheif I would A) Eat your heart for emailing the career manager B) Counsel you on having a lack of moral fiber. And remind you to get use to taking courses that while may not appeal to you is there to build up your lack of skillset. And make you able to be employed in a wider fashion by your superiors.

You need a little military discipline.  We have chain of command for a reason and we all get to do what we are told to do.

Um....ok, Mr Brookes seems to be coming to the realization that he needs to step outside his box and accept that there may be occasions in the military when his life is in jeapordy.  Good first step, however, it's something you should have realized before signing up.

Of note, in today's world, you're much more likely to get shot at than ever before in the Navy....true story, happened to me a couple of times....last year....when I was at sea.  *shrug*

As a Junior WEng Technician, your first priority is your shipboard and trades training, with outside coursing being a lower priority.  That said, if your gaining unit feels it would be a good idea to put you on the NBP course (Note, as mentioned, it is a non-career course, and not managed by your CM, so don't whine to him about not wanting to go on it....I'm surprised he responded instead of just deleting the e-mail!) maybe that unit has a plan for your employment.

Of note, because of the HUGE number of WEng JR guys coming to the fleet, it's difficult for all of them to get sea time....particularly with ships going into FELEX...so if your unit wants to get you NBP training, that makes you MORE desireable to take to sea, meaning you're actually MORE likely than your peers to go to sea, which will allow you to complete your training sooner....

If you decide that being shot at isn't for you, then you should talk to your divisional chain about it (just like you should have done before e-mailing your Career manager!!!) and arrange for a visit to the BPSO to see if they can help you get a public service job.

NS

http://www.cfd-cdf.forces.gc.ca/sites/page-eng.asp?page=10831

Core Military Values:

Accepting unlimited liability. Unlimited liability is the fundamental condition under which all members of the CF serve. They are required to accept, without reservation, that they must carry out their missions and tasks regardless of personal discomfort, fear, or danger. Unlimited liability is the cornerstone of military service and distinguishes CF members from their civilian counterparts.

Shot at?  I have instructed NBP and have been fully involved with its training and development for years. I can tell you that the Navy has never Shot at, or been shot at, during boarding operations to date. 

Back