• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

Ex-Dragoon said:
You will find some additional Boarding party info here as well.....

I have searched this site about it before, I was just commenting how the article renewed my interest.

airmich said:
Just as the NCM members are selected from a variety of trades onboard, so are the officers.  It is going to be dependent also on whether you can be spared from your primary duties onboard.

Is there not a requirement for at least one MARS officer in a boarding team?

Neill McKay said:

I don't know offhand about that.  Of course on the MCDVs, that is what we had on the team, but that was the only officer trade onboard anyway.  I'll look into that though Neill, I am curious as to the actual requirements (trade wise) of the team.  Or if someone else knows?

Neill McKay said:

It is preferred to have a someone with a Watchkeeper's Ticket (MARS Officer) on the boarding team in the event that the ship being boarded also needs to be piloted.

I heard rumors that they were going to stop training NavRes NBPs when I was working at the PNE last summer... is this still going to be the case?

MedTech said:
I heard rumors that they were going to stop training NavRes NBPs when I was working at the PNE last summer... is this still going to be the case?

On the West Coast, they stopped a couple of years ago.  Most ships were not able to keep a qualified team onboard, between course, contracts ending, or personnel being posted to another ship.  As well, depending on what else (ex. DC emergencies, SARs, special navigation, etc) was going on in the ship, either fictious (training thrown by the ship or by sea training) or real, there weren't always enough personnel left on the ship to man positions.  This then required, in certain scenarios, the use of a 2 ship boarding team.  That is, having 2 MCDVs sailing together, and taking 1/2 of the team from each ship.  As you can imagine, this would result in alot of planning and coordinating, not to mention the fact of the 2 teams requiring time to train together, which wouldn't always have been possible.  There are 6 ships, so there would have been a number of combination of teams.  Put it all together, and it resulted in NBP being pulled.

I am sure there are other reasons out there too, but that is the explanation that was given to us.

There are usually two officers per team. One is a MARS officer with a bridgewatchkeeper ticket as Navalsniper brings up. The other can be CSE or MARS and he usually fills the position of witnessing officer.

Maybe an approach the NavRes can use is have a team(Alpha Wave only) ready to go when the MCDVs are deployed during SOVPATs or Fisheries.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Maybe an approach the NavRes can use is have a team(Alpha Wave only) ready to go when the MCDVs are deployed during SOVPATs or Fisheries.

Hey, what are you doing talking sense, especially on a Monday, and after block leave too?!?! ;)

Ex-Dragoon said:
There are usually two officers per team. One is a MARS officer with a bridgewatchkeeper ticket as Navalsniper brings up. The other can be CSE or MARS and he usually fills the position of witnessing officer.
Could also be logistics or MSE.  In fact, any breathing officer is eagerly accepted, because there are never enough volunteers.  PRO's NBPO is her A/MSEO.  Like the diving world, if an officer even suggests an interest in this secondary duty, s/he is snapped up quickly (space permitting)

Rhibwolf said:
Could also be logistics or MSE.  In fact, any breathing officer is eagerly accepted, because there are never enough volunteers.  PRO's NBPO is her A/MSEO.  Like the diving world, if an officer even suggests an interest in this secondary duty, s/he is snapped up quickly (space permitting)

I deally though MARS officers are used so if necessary they can bring the ship into a port.

Rhibwolf said:

Really?! Wow... I'm in the process of switching over to NavRes, and well one of my biggest goals was to get on and complete my NBP Course and do that when I'm on a ship. Unfortunately...I learned that the trade that I had picked, well...doesnt go on ships much... :(

MedTech said:
Really?! Wow... I'm in the process of switching over to NavRes, and well one of my biggest goals was to get on and complete my NBP Course and do that when I'm on a ship. Unfortunately...I learned that the trade that I had picked, well...doesnt go on ships much... :(

If you read some of the recent posts on this thread, you'll notice that the MCDVs no longer have boarding teams, or send their personnel on the course, so you would be out of luck anyway.  BTW, what trade are you looking at going?

airmich said:
If you read some of the recent posts on this thread, you'll notice that the MCDVs no longer have boarding teams, or send their personnel on the course, so you would be out of luck anyway.  BTW, what trade are you looking at going?

The MCDV's on the east coast still send some people on course, if there's room. I haven't seen a boarding in a long time, we did however used to do them but with manning problems we usually don't practice it anymore.

airmich said:

Hahaha I know about the no more boardings with MCDVs, I heard about it from the instuctors themselves. I was hoping for a Reg ship.

The trade I was looking at involves alot of information analysis  ;) and something about control of shipping  ;D

It seemed like two of the biggest points from the last (MARS) career managers general brief were: 1) You can't go to Afghanistan until you finish your D levels and 2) Quit asking to get loaded on the NBP course until you finish your D levels

Cayuga said:
It seemed like two of the biggest points from the last (MARS) career managers general brief were: 1) You can't go to Afghanistan until you finish your D levels and 2) Quit asking to get loaded on the NBP course until you finish your D levels

I can understand the deployment thing, but what say does a career manager have in the NBP course?  Sure, they can say that and the ship can take that bit of information and use it or not.  But in reality, if the ship wants to load you on the course, it's up to them, no?!  And just because you have the course, also doesn't mean that you will be on the team right away.

Either way, guess it's giving you the incentive to finish your D levels, eh Cayuga?  :D

Cayuga said:
The AStan is understandable, as it is nearly a year long commitment and will definitely slow down your career as MARS, but you cant tell me that the MARS world will let a D Level Lt(N) go off and do a NBP course..... the demand for fit D Levels is just too high, and most of them are employed on ships and getting ready for the next big leap - ORO. 

Back