• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SHOES FOR OFFICERS AND CWO

serge

Inactive
Reaction score
Where can I find the reference that officers and or CWO have to wear shoes on parade instead of inkle boots, like NCMs ? thank you.

1632162884306.jpeg
This RSM is wearing ankle boots. Most RSMs I’ve seems wear ankle boots. In fact I see two CWOs in this pic wearing ankle boots.

It is one of those "unofficial" rules based on unit or branch/corps tradition. I have never seen an RSM wear low shoes on parade just officers. For officers, I would check with the Adj and they will sort you out.

In Scottish Regiments, you now switch from Oxfords to Brogues when you get promoted to Corporal

You gotta wonder what story spurred (ha!) the "not to be worn while dancing" line whilst wearing spurs.

But anyway, the first Coxn of the unit I was in had a great line when one of us Naval Cadets asked that very same question years ago:

"Officers. Wear. Shoes."

2 RCR the officers wore boots on parade as with everyone else.

Here's the only "shall" I think you'll find in 265 IRT ankle boots:

CH 5, Annex C Service Dress No. 3

5. Skirts and pumps shall not be worn on parade. For Army members, boots ankle shall be the normal footwear ordered worn on parade.

Almost every parade instruction/Admin O I've seen over XX years has said "officers shall wear oxfords, NCMs shall wear ankle boots". Recently I was part of a mil funeral @ the NMC. As there was no instructions otherwise, I wore short sleeve shirt and oxfords and some people thought that was odd. Just tells me most people just aren't aware of para 5(b)(2) at link below.

Long-sleeved shirts:
  1. shall be worn by Navy members, and
  2. may be ordered worn by Army and Air Force members.

OldSolduer mentioned "the CO can order" aspect...265, Ch 1, para 8:

8. Control is exercised by local commanders who may standardize the dress of subordinates on any occasion, including the wear of accoutrements and alternative or optional items, subject to overall command direction.

** just to mention, there are other dress instr's to read/consider. I'm a 1 Cdn Air Div type, so operational dress is governed by a CADO, and then I have my Wing Dress Instr's to know/consider as well.

Last edited:
The actual dress regulations say that either oxfords or ankle boots can be worn, but that ankle boots are the normal footwear for parades. This does imply that oxfords are normal footwear for other, unstated, duties. The dress regulations do not indicate an officer/NCM divide on the subject of footwear. And since officers and NCMs are issued with both, the implication is that they can wear both, depending on the circumstances.

If the various Corps and Regimental Senates find this situation distasteful and offensive to tradition — they are free to staff amendments. The dress instructions devote 7 pages to the subject of aiguillettes — there is room for another sentence on shoes.

In Scottish Regiments, you now switch from Oxfords to Brogues when you get promoted to Corporal.
Depends on the unit as brogues are not provided at public expense. Members either buy them or they are provided from non-public funds (e.g. "regimental" kit).

Depends on the unit as brogues are not provided at public expense. Members either buy them or they are provided from non-public funds (e.g. "regimental" kit).
They are on logistic corps now.

Hopefully they are better quality than the shoes and ankle boots they currently have and you can actually shine them.

Back