• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signaller‘s - Training, Promotion, Retention, Employment

I have to agree with my counterpart.  There are SigOp 215's in the IT field, but it is a choice posting, not enjoyed by many.  LCIS is Land Communications & Information Services.  We cover voice / data (telephony), Small Systems Support (computers), Roll--outs and installation of new systems (where does it end).  If you are concerned about the civillain applications - they are too numerous to list.  It all depends on how you mould your career path, and the specialty courses you attend. 

If you do go LCIS, its a lot longer haul that most trades. 8 months POET, 6 Months LCIS apprentice and the PAT time between courses.  Be aware that LCIS (as well as ATIS, Comm Research, SigOp) are being considered for a minimum 5 yr engagment upon enrolment, rather than 3yrs for most of MOC's - largely because the front end training is so heavy, the forces aren't getting their money back, as many choose to go civy after 3 yrs with what they have learned

This might be a series of dumb questions, but what is the normal arrangement for a signals squadron and troop?  How many Sig Ops, or other positions are in such a troop and squadron?  Do the other trades (LCIS, ATIS, Comm Research) fit into this organization, or are they part of something else?  I think I know the basic answers to these, but I'm looking for more clarification and whatnot.

What led me to this question was the DFS Regt post in the Armoured thread.  It contains, as part of its hierarchy this entry:

Sigs Tp (1-3-11)
              LAV III
              LSVW x 5
              GRIZZLY IS MRT
              MLVW

I guess I'm just curious what would make up the (1-3-11) (I assume those are number of pers., which could very well be mistaken).  Would this be a typical arrangment for a signals squadron in any situation (not including the vehicles, just the pers.), or is it specific to a certain attachment or whatever? 

Hey,
I think that the size and formation of the sig tp/sqn are unit specific.   I work for 2 ASG Sig Sqn and I know for sure that it has a different setup then a typical sig sqn.   Let me look for a few things and see what I can find out.   If anything it'll probably be just a typical Orbat of sorts.

Cheers

Hoser,

I think you're talking about vehicles within certain dets. Mr.LCIS is right, it is unit specific. It depends what the CO requires and what the unit is required to do within the military. For example, my unit is made of about 4 or 5 squadrons for which, each squadron will have 3 or 4 troops. Each troop will ideally have about 30 pers. Those 30 pers will be broken down in to dets which will each provide a unique roll contributing to the overall effectiveness of the unit and in turn, the CF.
A CP troop may have a handfull of ML and HLVW's to manage a transport the HQ while an MT or deployable LAN det will be mostly made up of LSVW's and an EW Sqn will have a dump load of bissons.

To sum up, it all depends on where you go. No two places are really the same.

Ok, that makes sense.

I was just reading through the OSP for SIGS, and was curious about how everything was organized at/around the troop/squadron level.  It states how my first posting as a Signals Officer should be something like a troop commander for a brigade signal squadron.  I was just interested in figuring out how this fit into the whole squadron's picture, and how the troop looked. 

The number/type of vehicles I wasn't really concerned with, more the organization.  But I suppose the organization depends on the number/type of vehicles, depending on the task. 

As far as I know, most Sig O's start out as a troop commander but remember that everying is always subject to change.

Back