• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signals Officer

Over simplifying the Campus Uni living bit.

I am sure they will set me straight. I expect it.

Seems to me that Military has more acronyms then IT.

211RadOp said:
1. You already know this one
2. Your Signal Officer training is broken into 4 mods for a total of 109 training days.
3. It depends on the course.  For example Formation Signals Operations Course is 10 days of DL followed by 12 days residency. This will be done later in your career.
4. Again depends on the course. For example, your BMOQ-A, which you will take following BMOQ, is 55 days and is done in Gagetown.  Other Army courses will be offered at various times in your career.

While at Kingston for your SigO course, you normally live in barracks, however there are sometimes concessions made for married members.  While waiting training, you will do OJT at a unit or at CFSCE.  For FSOC and other SigO and Army specialty courses, if you are not posted to the location the training is taking place, you will live in barracks.  If you are posted there you will live at home.

All courses have different lengths, so it is difficult to predict how long you will spend in formal training, and not all courses will run back to back.  Expect around a year for BMOQ, BMOQ-A and SigO training which you will attend consecutively before you can take any other courses.

Edit to add other requested info and for clarity.

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Also, I was told sometime after creating my post that BSOC runs only once a year. Am I correct in assuming that once BMOQ, BMOQ-A, and BSOC have been completed you are considered a full fledged SigO and are promoted to Lt?

Thanks again !

I wouldn't be surprised we run into each other in BMOQ at this rate if we get in. :D

Good Luck

HiTechComms said:
I wouldn't be surprised we run into each other in BMOQ at this rate if we get in. :D

Good Luck

Hopefully!

Still waiting on my medical approval before I get competition listed :/

Good luck to you as well!

Phwaker said:
Hopefully!

Still waiting on my medical approval before I get competition listed :/

Good luck to you as well!

Well Medical was done. Cause I am an older candidate I had to do Blood workup and submitted mid October. Recruiter received it late oct they said it would take 2 months to process, it was done in less two weeks! Finished interview this week. Now all that is left is Reference check and Security. They said some time in January 15th I should hear something back. For some reason I think I will hear by December. I know when I started the process there were 49 positions available in Early September, according to the HR officer there are still 49 positions out of 52 open.
Doesn't sound like a lot of people want into this field.. Doesn't surprise me as I work in IT and pretty well much everyone hates IT, so I guess the private and public/mil spheres share that attitude.
It feels to me like CAF is pretty desperate for Signals anything. Doesn't really surprise me since you can make far more money in private sector.

Oh I was informed that its also a 9 year contract. I applied for CAF early 2000's and it was 4 year contract. So I guess somethings must have changed.

Any way very exciting time for me.

Phwaker said:
Thank you for your detailed reply!

Also, I was told sometime after creating my post that BSOC runs only once a year. Am I correct in assuming that once BMOQ, BMOQ-A, and BSOC have been completed you are considered a full fledged SigO and are promoted to Lt?

Thanks again !

For what it's worth, in the past BSOC has run twice a year, a Winter serial and a Summer serial.  The Army changes course durations and schedules most years.  By the time you get to it, the schedule may change again. 

You are considered an officer once you are promoted to 2Lt.  You need BSOC to be promoted to Lt; BMOQ-A is a pre-requisite for BSOC and BMOQ is a pre-requisite for BMOQ-A.

Hi all !

Very nice post ! Thank you all for all this information.

I'll apply to Signal Officer trade as soon as I get my citizenship. I already work in IT domain and I think that I'll love SigO career.
Sad thing is that I've heard that security check is very long when you're not born in Canada, so I expect starting BMQ in 2023... 2024 =/

Sorry about my grammar errors. I immigrated to Canada in 2016 and I've been living in Québec since then. So I do not practice my English so often.

Have a nice day you all and nice to meet you !

Back