• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SigOp Kit

RossF

Inactive
Reaction score
I know this might be more appropriate for the Recruiting board, but because I'm directing this more towards SigOps, its what Im going for, I thought I'd post it here..

What kind of things do you recieve in your kit when you are first sworn in? Just like a general list of the things..

thanks,
-Ross

P.S. Yes, I will eventually find out for myself, but I'm curious as heck.

He's a reservist, so the chance he'll be seeing any more of the really high-speed kit anytime soon is unlikely.

The Comm Res seems to get everything far behind any of the army reservve brigades, as an example, we're still waiting on our tacvests. As for the new ruck? Hahahaha....maybe when I'm due for my CD... ;D

You should get your CADPAT uniform right when you join, and your Gortex kit (green gortex, not the new CADPAT variety) soon afer completing basic. As for the rest of your initial kit issue, I think some of it's been mentioned in the recruiting threads but mostly stuff like 3 sets of combats, boots, socks, underwear, thermals, rucksack, duffle bag, raingear, sleeping bags, webbing, etc. etc. pretty basic stuff. You also won't get your DEUs (dress uniform) until you've been in for about a year.

Make sure to free up a closet or a large corner of your basement for all this stuff, it'll take over your house! :D

Hey Bloggins, I hear my unit is getting there vests soon...hopefully before course...you?

Yeah, I've heard the "soon" thing before too...as far back as January.

Trying not to get the hopes up too high, but since I leave for course in just over a week it looks like it's webbing for me.

Anyone else do that stupid TACVEST class?

I'm now fully qualified to place a NATO issue whistle in the TACVEST's Whistle pocket!!!!

wow. wore it everyday for 6 months in Afghanistan and used that pocket for a pen..lol

Alright, that's it.

*THREAD HIJACK*

I'd like to sort out how many units in the Comm Res already have their tac vests. So please post what unit you're from, and whether or not you've got it yet. I know we'll all get it eventually, I'd just like to know if I'm going to be the only one on my course still in old school webbing, for curiousity's sake.

Thanks.

The issuing is going east to west, 70 COMM GRP is just being issued thiers now (scored mine last night). 72 COMM GRP had theirs in the fall.

Dunno if 73/74 has started the sizing/issuing stuff yet.

I heard that the unit I'm applying for (705th Comm Squadron, Hamilton, Ontario) is getting theirs in the fall..

I dunno about that east to west thing.  Royal Westminster Regiment has theirs, I think the deal is you get it once you've completed BMQ or SQ, but until then, its webbing.

Okay, since we're on the topic now of webbing and tac vest.. What's so bad about the webbing? And does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like?

Sc011y said:
I dunno about that east to west thing.   Royal Westminster Regiment has theirs, I think the deal is you get it once you've completed BMQ or SQ, but until then, its webbing.

Yes, most of the Army Reserve seems to have theirs, I know all of 32 Brigade does. We're talking about the Comms Reserve, which is its own little strange entity.

We were informed last night, that we would be trained in 2 weeks, and that we should have our vests very soon after that since they've been sitting down in the supply room for a few weeks waiting for us. Our unit is pretty excitied..lol

The webbing is O.K. just not that great... the same can be said of the vests unfortunately  ::)

We did the TACVEST class....and used a different units TACVESTS to do it. Apparently 70 Comm Group just wouldn't issue us ours until we actually did the class. so now we should get them in the next couple of weeks. but to tell you the truth, I like the old webbing.

It's actually got a spot where I can strap my SOG SEAL Pup, (Bloggins, You've seen it) and the butt pack I'm going to have to get used to not having.

I know a lot of guys are buying extra pouches that they strap to the back, you'd need to take them off every time you carry your ruck. Meh...Everyone loves the LCF

Back