• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SigOp QL5 Journeyman Course

Proud Canadian

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for current information on the SigOp QL5 Journeyman Course. I am slated to go on the course later this year and wondering if anyone has taken the course recently. Not much on the CFSCE site. I see the course is now 28 training days. Curious what the day consist of and what I will be learning.

I'm sure there is someone that will answer this for you, but if not, I have a friend who is on the current course, just finishing up, and I'll let him know about your question for when he's done and back online.  That should be able to give you the most up-to-date information.

navymich - it would be great if your friend can answer my question.

735_winnipeg - I am at Greenwood

proud - isnt buchanan still there?  just email him and he should be able to tell you. 
nothing like asking the instructors themselves.

radop215 said:
proud - isnt buchanan still there?  just email him and he should be able to tell you. 
nothing like asking the instructors themselves.

Yes Buchanan is still there.
Been instructed by not to email him directly and to proceed with my questions by going throught CoC first.

just to find out about the course?  seems like theres a little micro managing going on there.

What you hear about the course from the instructors and what you hear from a recent student are going to be 2 completely different stories.  It will also be dependent on how well the student did, or how much they like the trade too, so realize that wherever you get your information from, it will need to be taken with a grain of salt.

radop215 said:
just to find out about the course?  seems like theres a little micro managing going on there.
Whether it's micro managing or not,  Proud has been told how he is to go about looking into this.  And unless you're good buddies with the instructor and he'll give you info "offline", that isn't the way to go.  This is a good way to get the information.  As well, he should be putting in a request through the CofC, and THEY can be the ones to call the school, if he prefers to continue with that route.

Proud Canadian said:
Yes Buchanan is still there.
Been instructed by not to email him directly and to proceed with my questions by going throught CoC first.

Buch isn't there. He was, but isn't. He's chosen a different path. Too bad, good guy. sideline here, you shouldn't be referring to guy's names here on the forums. That's a thing for PMs.

I just finished my Sig Op QL5 and NCCIS Light Op courses today. Yay me.

The QL5 is a lot of DBP (That's death by powerpoint) learning about the different Communications infrastructures and systems CFwide. (AF, Navy, and Army).

You'll spend a lot of time learning how to write orders, as the course is basically to prep you as a Det commander of a tac Rad Det. We had a really good confirmation Ex, lot's of realistic scenarios, and great support.

If you want anything more specific, just ask, and I'll be happy to answer

Sig_Des said:
Buch isn't there. He was, but isn't. He's chosen a different path. Too bad, good guy. sideline here, you shouldn't be referring to guy's names here on the forums. That's a thing for PMs.

WTF??!! Bucky is still there, saw him on Wednesday. He was the chef instructor for the last 5's course to come through.

And yes, he is a good instructor, probably the best in the troop at the moment.

Hoover said:
WTF??!! Bucky is still there, saw him on Wednesday. He was the chef instructor for the last 5's course to come through.

And yes, he is a good instructor, probably the best in the troop at the moment.

Different Buch, then. The one I know's out

Sig_Des said:
I just finished my Sig Op QL5 and NCCIS Light Op courses today. Yay me

NCCIS Light Op Crse?  When did that get into the reserve training matrix?

JSR OP said:
NCCIS Light Op Crse?  When did that get into the reserve training matrix?

It's was previously an integrated part of the reserve QL5, but as we started doing the Reg F QL5 this summer, they had to tack it on at the end.

Basically it's some minor Theory, SMT, Crypto tools, LCT and QRT. They threw PLGR in there as well.

I'd much rather a heavy course, but, eh...

Theres only about a million buchs.  i thought that most of the res courses were done in shilo now.  what happened to that school they were starting up there.

radop215 said:
Theres only about a million buchs.  i thought that most of the res courses were done in shilo now.  what happened to that school they were starting up there.

All trades training is done at CFSCE, under Fox Squadron during the summer, although 2 spots are now being held on every Reg course at the school for reservists anytime throughout the year.

The School in Shilo is only the BMQ/SQ and PLQ for the Comm Res.

Sig_Des said:
It's was previously an integrated part of the reserve QL5, but as we started doing the Reg F QL5 this summer, they had to tack it on at the end.

Basically it's some minor Theory, SMT, Crypto tools, LCT and QRT. They threw PLGR in there as well.

I'd much rather a heavy course, but, eh...

Really?  I don't remember that on my Res QL5...  But then again, that course was WAY sub par...  We didn't even do data comms on the QRT, let alone go secure.

Its funny that they call it an NCCIS Light det course though, because  I can't see it really giving anyone who took it any official qualification that I know of....  We make no distinction between a heavy det course and a light det course.  Its all covered in one NCCIS course.  Now I say that in respect to Operators, not techs, because in their case, I understand that there is both a heavy and a light det course.

I can't compare for sure, as I've never done an NCCIS heavy course  ;)

I can tell you that it has a course title on the report, Res Sig Op NCCIS Light, but there is no course code, so I don't believe it's an actual qualification.

We did however do data comms on the QRT, and did get secure data and voice.

Hmmm...  We don't use the QRT much anymore.  Everything is pretty much Sat based now.  In fact, the most use we got out of the QRT when I was in Camp Mirage was a couple of radio checks witn MT2, and that was it.  It mostly gathered dust in the corner of the back room. 

JSR OP said:
Hmmm...  We don't use the QRT much anymore.  Everything is pretty much Sat based now.  In fact, the most use we got out of the QRT when I was in Camp Mirage was a couple of radio checks witn MT2, and that was it.  It mostly gathered dust in the corner of the back room. 

I could live very happily with that. We had to cannibalize 4 QRTs just to get 3 working.

Back