• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sigs are not Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Ex-Dragoon said:
Time for another poll folks.  What is your military or non military status?

Hey.... signals isn't on the list...

Signals is a trade...the purpose of the poll was not to determine what a respondents trade was, otherwise I would have added infanteer, pilots etc in there.

Isn't a branch? Since when?

Communications and electronics branch, primarily made up of Lineman 052, Signals Operators 215, Aerospace and Telecommunications Information Systems Technician 227, Communicatior Research 291, Communications and Electronics Engineer Officer 83 and Signals Officers 84. These trades along with the requisite "purple" support trades make up the comunications and electronics branch. (My appologies to anyone I missed).

I don't know if the reg force communications unit use the same command badge, but I do know that the commres has it's own command badge, it's looks like a red globe, with a sword and two lightning bolts (Couldn't find a picture of it, but bottom left hand corner of this page http://www.img.forces.gc.ca/commRes/units/units_e.htm is the crest. Just remove the crown, gold rope, and gold leaves, and you've got the command badge)

Just a Sig Op...what if you looked at the choices carefully you would understand the flavour of the poll.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Just a Sig Op...what if you looked at the choices carefully you would understand the flavour of the poll.

The flavour of the poll? Seems to list all the branches of potential service, military or para-military. So I reiterate, just for the purpose of future clarification, signals is not part of the army, though yes, the bulk of the work we do is army work. It's like going to the United States, and telling a marine that they're just in the army because they have to walk a lot, or they're just in the navy, because they have boats.

When a person goes into Recruiting they are not given the options of Army, Navy, Air Froce or Signals. They are given Army, Navy and Air Force. Everyone else seem to get the meaning.

Just a Sig Op said:
<snip>   signals is not part of the army, though yes, the bulk of the work we do is army work...

You could say the same for cooks, veh techs, RMS clerks etc etc.   Signals are a purple trade group that have their own autonomy when it comes to their Unit operations.   For the purposes of this poll look down at your CADPAT nametag and click off the following:  
(1) if you see an ANCHOR - click NAVY
(2) if you see CROSSED SWORDS - click ARMY
(3) if you see an ALBATROSS/PIGEON/EAGLE/Whatever - click AIRFORCE

Only in the Reserves do you find a fourth element of the CF.   (ie Communication Reserves)

(cut and paste from DND.ca website)

History
The Communication Reserve history goes back to the beginning of the Century.   Some units trace their formation back to the Original Signals units created in 1903.   These units were the first dedicated Army Communication (Signals) units to be formed in Canada. In 1974, after a reorganization, the Communication Reserve adopted its current structure.

Zoomie said:
You could say the same for cooks, veh techs, RMS clerks etc etc.   Signals are a purple trade group that have their own autonomy when it comes to their Unit operations.   For the purposes of this poll look down at your CADPAT nametag and click off the following:  
(1) if you see an ANCHOR - click NAVY
(2) if you see CROSSED SWORDS - click ARMY
(3) if you see an ALBATROSS/PIGEON/EAGLE/Whatever - click AIRFORCE

Only in the Reserves do you find a fourth element of the CF.   (ie Communication Reserves)

(cut and paste from DND.ca website)

History
The Communication Reserve history goes back to the beginning of the Century.   Some units trace their formation back to the Original Signals units created in 1903.   These units were the first dedicated Army Communication (Signals) units to be formed in Canada. In 1974, after a reorganization, the Communication Reserve adopted its current structure.

Honestly, the poll doesn't really matter. I'm just making my point, and I shall continue to make my point.

You couldn't say the same thing about the purple trades, as the members of these trades still belong to an element. If you have a naval RMS clerk attached to an army unit, that doesn't mean they're suddenly in the army.

The comm res is a seperate branch.

Let's swap in 'component' for 'branch' in the previous discussion to make it clear...

Come to think of it...i'm surprised that Mr "just a sig op" didnt point out that, in Canada, there is no air force, army, or navy !!  Officialy there are only the air, land force and maritime commands of the Canadian armed forces.

How's that for anal retentiveness ??

Shame on you "just a sig op"

I really didn't care about the poll to begin with, it makes no great difference in my life. My initial post was really intended in more of a tongue in cheek manner in pointing out that I'm in the signals branch.

That being said, now I'm really just arguing for the sake of arguing, nothing more, mostly because, as I said... I'm not army... and I don't like being marginalized as such. Not because there's anything wrong with the army, but for the same reasons a PO1 would eat you for calling them a Warrant.

You guys are getting as bad as some of the Cadets. Agree to disagree and drop it.

Sorry recceguy....Just if you did not like the poll no one forced you to take it. There was nothing stated you had to participate. As for your PO1 example that is totally out to lunch as its a naval rank. Naval personnel on predominate army and air force bases are used to being called as is army/air force on naval bases. You politely correct the mistake and move on. The only time I ever saw a PO lose it for being called the wrong rank was during BASIC.

I love a good (if not inane) fight.

Again I will direct your eyes to your Nametape on your CADPAT uniform - if it has a bunch of crossed swords on it, you are a member of the Land Forces element of the CF.  (ie ARMY!) Until they put a bouncing Jimmy on your chest you will have to deal with that fact.  I'm not trying to marginalize you or your Corps, just trying to make reason.  If you drive ARMY vehicles, wear ARMY DEU, adopt ARMY tactics and go on ARMY courses - aren't you ARMY??  :warstory: (p.s. if u wear a bucket on ur head - that too is a good clue)  - Welcome to the ARMY!

Zoomie said:
I love a good (if not inane) fight.

Again I will direct your eyes to your Nametape on your CADPAT uniform - if it has a bunch of crossed swords on it, you are a member of the Land Forces element of the CF.   (ie ARMY!) Until they put a bouncing Jimmy on your chest you will have to deal with that fact.   I'm not trying to marginalize you or your Corps, just trying to make reason.   If you drive ARMY vehicles, wear ARMY DEU, adopt ARMY tactics and go on ARMY courses - aren't you ARMY??   :warstory: (p.s. if u wear a bucket on ur head - that too is a good clue)   - Welcome to the ARMY!

I to love a good inane fight, well, argument anyway, always hate resorting to violence... perfectly good beer always gets spilled... always a waste. Comes from a heritage in debating, while in highschool and in uniiversity. So rather then call this an argument, we shall call this a debate (And an unfortunate hijacking of poor Ex-Dragoon's thread, which is why I'm not going to bother to continue this, asI freely admit the arguing is a bit pointless, as functionally, yes, I could be considered army, though I am not actually army.)

After looking over my DEUs, I failed to note any insignia placing me in the army. After staring at them long and hard, I started to go cross eyed, and the one sword on my command badge started to become two... but suddenly there were also two maple leafs, which was equally confusing. Closing my eyes for a few seconds, my head cleared, and the sword returned to it's normal single state.

Regarding driving army vehicles and adoting army tactics, I've currently got my name in the hat for a deployment with the navy. If I manage to get it, I assume you'll conceed the fact that I'm not in the army, and must clearly be in the navy.

PO1 would eat you for calling them a Warrant.

Only while on a Naval vessel or a Naval base.

But even on a base or vessel, you couldn't get angry at the poor Army schmuck, because he wouldn't know the difference >:D.

(I was kidding, I don't want a problem on my hands)

Ok, back on topic.

Just a Sig Op said:
After looking over my DEUs, I failed to note any insignia placing me in the army. After staring at them long and hard, I started to go cross eyed, and the one sword on my command badge started to become two... but suddenly there were also two maple leafs, which was equally confusing. Closing my eyes for a few seconds, my head cleared, and the sword returned to it's normal single state.

Nothing on your DEU to signify that you're army eh? Are they green? Did you have collar dogs? Do you wear your rank on the collar of your short sleeve green shirt? Do you have a wedge or a Forge cap? If you answered, yes, yes, yes, no, then you're army, sorry you disagree, but I'll bet that if you look at your MPRR it says your element is land and not sigs.

cheeky_monkey said:
Only while on a Naval vessel or a Naval base.

But even on a base or vessel, you couldn't get angry at the poor Army schmuck, because he wouldn't know the difference >:D.

(I was kidding, I don't want a problem on my hands)

Ok, back on topic.

eh what ever ive called em warrant and they were happy that they were recognized . as opposed to hey you, which i have done and when ever they TRY to read my the riot act.  i just recall hey ive been jacked up by wayyyy  better .. ive been jacked up after ive returned fire  and this guys jacking my up for what?..

Inch said:
Nothing on your DEU to signify that you're army eh? Are they green? Did you have collar dogs? Do you wear your rank on the collar of your short sleeve green shirt? Do you have a wedge or a Forge cap? If you answered, yes, yes, yes, no, then you're army, sorry you disagree, but I'll bet that if you look at your MPRR it says your element is land and not sigs.

bout to say almost the same thing, next tim eyou are in uniform, look at your self in a mirror, and tell us what colour your headdress is......im pretty sure there isnt a special colour for sigs.

oh and I am R031-reserve infantry. Though I am class B in Borden fixing computer for the Regional Cadet Headquaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back