• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sigs are not Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a Sig Op said:
That being said, now I'm really just arguing for the sake of arguing, nothing more, mostly because, as I said... I'm not army... and I don't like being marginalized as such. Not because there's anything wrong with the army, but for the same reasons a PO1 would eat you for calling them a Warrant.

This happen all the time. They usually just correct you politely or make a joke about it. Just like when Im in OD and i get called private. I dont blow a gasket. I just tell 'em Im a squid.

I dont see how you consider being called "army" marginalizes you- you attitude does so to a much greater degree. You must be ever so popular with the "army" types you work with.

*sigh* And I swore to myself that I wouldn't reply to this topic again. So much for self-discipline.

Being called "army" only marginalizes me in the sense that I'm not *technically* in the army. Yes, almost everything that I do is army work. Yes, we end up doing mostly army courses. Yes. I wear a green uniform. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the army. I'm just not technically *in* the army. The comm res is a seperate branch, as I've already pointed out.

Although since everyone wants to argue that I'm in the army anyway, I'd appreciate it if they'd bring the matter up with whoever is responsible for the honour gaurd for the governer general, as I was listening to an infanteer acquantince describe his time there with great interest, and it sounds like a particularly interesting call out, unfortunately, it's only open to members of the army. Members of the navy, air force, and yes, the comm res, are not eligible. So if you can convince them that I'm in the army, I'm all for it.

hey i just popped in here to see whats going on . hey got a question when did the tri service become a quad service? army airforce and navy . when did comm res. get added to its own branch . what colour is its berets and uniform ? i have a freiend in comms res and hes in the army .

i'm pretty much in agreement with Just A Sig Op...

at least in the Comm res, we're taught that we are apart from the whole Army-Air Force-Navy cmd structures... we actually belong under the ADM IM (Assistant Deputy Minister of Infomation Management)

All of our commanders and units fall under that... we do not fall under any of the other Command Staffs. The reason for this is that as a sig op, i can do a tasking on time with a naval unit, and then the very next week i can be retasked to a land force unit.. and i've actually had that happen...

Yes, we may wear the cross-swords on our name tapes... i guess the CDS didn't want to have to distinguish with lightning bolts...

But as my fellow SigOp pointed out, on our DEUs, we don't wear the same command badge as anyone else

no and as a Patricia we don't wear the same command badge as the van doos its a chain of command not a service arm entire . when you look up the  trade 291  while tasked with the army air force or navy somewhere on your mprr  it will state your uniform or  service uniform is. what does it say there i do know that there are cooks that wear the naval uniform that ain't served on a coast  and airforce ones that haven't served with the airforce etc  the comms research is a triservice  trade but somewhere or other it will state what service you belong to . i have a friend who is in under the army  uniform in the trade and another who is in wearing a airforce one . but thats the service arm they fall under  now they both wear combats but they each have their distinctive deu uniforms .

Just a Sig Op said:
Isn't [Signals] a branch?
Yes, and so are Engineers, Artillery, Armour, and Logistics.  However, none of these are "environments."  Lets not confuse branches with commands and environments.

Lets not confuse environments with commands.  The CF has several commands, including
  • land forces
  • maritime
  • air force
  • northern
  • communications

The CF only has three distinctive environments
  • Land
  • Air
  • Sea

Your branch is determined by your MOC.  Your environment is the colour of your uniform.  The command you serve under is reflected by the command badge on your uniform.  Personnel from all three environments can serve in any of the commands (although some specific MOCs may be limited in the commands they serve under).

At the risk of confusing things even more I feel a bit of Sigs history might be in order.  Prior to integration the Navy and Airforce had communications trades.  The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals was 100% army and covered all communications-like trades.  In 2003 the centennial of the Corps was celebrated but morphed into the 100th anniversay of Military Communications to accommodate the sea and air components.  At integration the C & E Branch was formed by adding sea and air trades to the existing Signal Corps trades, which created many problems and inequities.  For all intents and purposes the Sigs were disbanded and became a branch with three separate histories and set of customs.  In keeping with the political attitudes of the time the Army component was marginalized.  I assure you that any who served in the Corps, regardless of whether they continued on in C & E did, and always will consider themselves soldiers.  The devolvement of the CF back into a semi-preintegration form however, left the Sigs component as a service with land, sea and air types in one branch.  Sigs is now a branch of the CF in the same manner as other branches but is definitely not a distinct element  Unfortunately it has also changed from an Arm of the Canadian Army to a combat support Branch of the CF.
Velox Versutis Vigilans
Jack

I'd very much like to see us go back to the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals.

Having been a signaller in the reserves during the CFCC and DISO period, and now being a regular force sig op (formely a radop) I have some insight into this:

The Comm Reserve are part of ADM (IM), but there has been talk about putting them under Army control, probably not a good thing because I think the militia units burn through their budgets, yet the commres always seems to have $$. The Joint Signal Regiment is under DCDS (I may be wrong, maybe VCDS) control, the 3 HQ & Sig Sqns and the ASG signal squadrons are Army units, and everything else is (more or less) part of ADM (IM). Now I work in Ottawa for an ADM (IM) unit but my trade is an ARMY trade, for career management we fall in with the Engineers, and are not considered a purple trade (that is insulting if you ask me) we are a hard army trade. The same with the linemen and the LCIS techs.

Although the reserve comm sqns don't fall under Army command, reserve sigops, linemen and LCIS techs are definitely Army trades. Yes, you can work in an air or sea environment (as can I but it would be rare) but you are still Army and not purple.

Just a Sig Op, Gryphon:

While I appreciate your loyalty to the C & E branch, I think you could find better ways to express it than by causing this tempest in a teapot.  

I am a communication reservist myself.  I therefore fall under DISO, and not FMC (or whatever it's called these days).  That is not to say that I do not belong to an Army trade, however.  Regardless of what command I fall under, I am classified, along with all other sig ops, linemen, and LCIS techs as belonging to the land environment.  The army owns those trades.  The command one is assigned to is for the most part irrelevant.  There are navy cooks on army bases, pilots aboard ship, and army vehicle techs posted to air wings.  The specific sigs trades I mentioned above are green, not purple, guaranteed, every time, regardless of place of employment.  So sorry, but you're pretty much wrong.

I've seen guys from all 3 ELEMENTS involved in Comms work........I never did see what the response to the uniform and head dress colour question was.........

From what I have seen, if you're in a green DEU and a green beret........I'm willing to say you're in the ARMY........You issue a navy guy CADPAT, he still has on a different colour beret......They'd also have an anchor on their name tape......

Brutal.

HollywoodHitman said:
I've seen guys from all 3 ELEMENTS involved in Comms work........I never did see what the response to the uniform and head dress colour question was.........

From what I have seen, if you're in a green DEU and a green beret........I'm willing to say you're in the ARMY........You issue a navy guy CADPAT, he still has on a different colour beret......They'd also have an anchor on their name tape......

Brutal.

On the subject of berets, what of tankers, paratroops and MPs? They don't wear green berets, would you say that they're not in the army as a result? Of course not. The colours of their berets are derieved from tradition, orn the case of the MPs, perhaps a slight flair for higher fashion.

As to the uniform itself. What else would you change it to? No argument, the comm res is descended from an army origin, it's just that it's not actually part of the army now. The only notable difference is the command badge, rather then having the maple leaf with the crossed swords, it's got globe with a maple leaf and a sword superimposed on it. Wherein lies the major difference.

I should really ask a moderator to lock this thread, as it's getting rather silly. People seem to be getting offended for some reason. And I don't understand why. All I did was point out that the comm res does not fall under the army, but for some reason, people are seeming to think that I'm saying that being "army" is a negative thing, though you're welcome to read over what I've written, no where will you find me write anything negative about the "army", quite the opposite.

Just a Sig Op said:
No argument, the comm res is descended from an army origin, it's just that it's not actually part of the army now.
The Comm Res does not fall under Land Forces Command.   However, every member of the CF belongs to one of three elements: Land, Air, or Sea (AKA Army, Air Force, or Navy).   It just happens that the MOCs of the Comm Res belong to the Land environment.

Just a Sig Op said:
I should really ask a moderator to lock this thread, as it's getting rather silly.
Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back