• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

Thanks so much for the reply!  Except that... I got the acrostics wrong.  He's done Basic, (BMQ), and now graduating from a 6 month set of Classes, though it is OJT in July.  Are barracks then not an option?  (That's his impression).

I better start getting better at my acrostics....  lol!

Thanks again!

Unless the "Shacks" (Barracks) are full, they are always an option.  It can be an expensive option though.

nomij said:
  Except that... I got the acrostics wrong.  He's done Basic, (BMQ), and now graduating from a 6 month set of Classes, though it is OJT in July.  Are barracks then not an option?  (That's his impression).

I better start getting better at my acrostics....  lol!

Acrostics?

Puzzling?

Where is he?

Where is he going?

Where is he near?

You have provided a puzzle that no one here has the opportunity to actually answer.  No one here knows where he is or where he may be.  We have so many different rates for barracks, rent, purchase of a house, food, etc. across this land, that all we can do is speculate as to what he may be facing.  Perhaps the best answer is for you to contact him and have him find out the rates for Rations and Quarters, availability of Quarters, Rental prices, Purchase prices, costs of basic foods, costs of gas, cost of vehicles, costs of bus passes, availability of Public Transport to and from his work place, costs of Taxi fares, etc. and then make your decision.

The forum didn't tell me another reply had come!  Thank you gentlemen!

He's in Gagetown.  Rations & Quarters there are $600.  He's going to be requesting Trenton or Petawawa for when he gets posted.  He'll know in about 4 weeks in theory, and he graduates the class portion on June 26.  I  know that a request isn't always where he'll go, but fingers crossed!

So, R&Q varies from base to base?  He asks these things, but doesn't always get real answers.  As a civillion, am I allowed to call a base and ask barrack's availability and rates?  It seemed to be $600 at both Borden and Gagetown, the only two bases he's been on, so I just assumed it was the same everywhere.  The army hasn't been giving him paystubs, and he hasn't seen his T4 for 2009!  I had to call the CRA to get the T4 numbers to file his taxes this week!  It seems so frustrating trying to get information, which is why I'm ever grateful for this forum, and for the help of those here!

I did mention in my original post that we were looking at Trenton or Petawawa as a hopeful posting.  You're right, though.  Without really knowing, I don't suppose I can do as much as I want to.  Though, if someone does know the R&Q rate for those two bases, it would be a start!

Thank you so much again!  Financial planning is very important to me, and we have some pretty serious decisions we need to make in the next week or two.

Nonji,

I was asking myself the same type of questions... although my process of enrolment is not completed yet... but out of curiosity and to get ready I searched the net...

Hope this can be of any help to you
http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/hl-el/hl-el-eng.aspx

Good luck,
Alea

Good for you for asking, even if you don't land in the places you have researched, the information may well come in handy in the future.  Ignore the jests, there is nothing wrong with being prepared.

Here's an advice an old warrant gave me when I "shacked up" with my wife.....buy a house ASAP once you know where if definitive posting will be! Even a mini-home for a start.

If you guys get posted there's money to be made every time you sell a house ;)

nomij said:
The forum didn't tell me another reply had come!  Thank you gentlemen!

He's in Gagetown.  Rations & Quarters there are $600.  He's going to be requesting Trenton or Petawawa for when he gets posted.  He'll know in about 4 weeks in theory, and he graduates the class portion on June 26.  I  know that a request isn't always where he'll go, but fingers crossed!

Just curious...were you guys living together before he left, is he still paying rent/leasing?  If so, that could change some things re: what he has to pay.

Those are the going rates these days, believe it or not.

The army hasn't been giving him paystubs, and he hasn't seen his T4 for 2009!  I had to call the CRA to get the T4 numbers to file his taxes this week!  It seems so frustrating trying to get information, which is why I'm ever grateful for this forum, and for the help of those here!

2 things.  His pay statements are accessed thru something called EMAA.  He can ask his supervisors for the link to the website on the work network.  Once he has access to that, he can set it  up so his pay statement is emailed to him (mine go to my Hotmail about a week before pay day).

For his T4 to be delivered to the correct address, he'll need to see the pay office to verify they have a current mailing address, as the address for T4s is based off the address listed in the military pay system, known as CCPS.  Having the correct address everywhere else will still not result in the T4 being sent to the right address.

R & Q rats are set nationally, and rations rates don't very much, and quarters it varies with the type of room you occupy, so until he knows what room he is in, your ballpark figures are good to plan with IMO.

(ie, a single room with a bathroom will cost you more than a single room, with a common bathroom).

I am so thankful for all the help! 
I'm a bit old school, and am really looking forward to shaking up with him after the wedding :D  Great advice about the house...  I hadn't thought about it that way!  And what fantastic info on the EMAA!  The info is out there... it's all in who you ask!  Aren't forums great!  I definately feel better prepared for the adventure ahead!
Oh, and the BEST news of all... He's posted to Borden!!!  That's just a couple of hours away!  Life is good  8)

This from MERX:
.... The work includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the supply of labour, material, supervision and equipment necessary to construct a new three storey training accommodations facility (97 bedrooms) and associated site work .... The estimated cost for this opportunity is in the order of $11,703,000.00 .... (Tender call) Closing:  2011-05-05 02:00 PM Atlantic Daylight Saving Time ADT ....
Site plan of generally where they might be going attached.

Interesting they want to put it in the area where the firehall and the two churches are....

Basically, it's going in the trees  ;D.

The new and as yet very fuzzily defined fire hall is supposed to move to the woods behind CFSME's gravel parking lot, with the chapels possibly moving to a new location somewhere up by the CANEX/Soldier's Arena.

That's why they won't let us expand the gravel parking lot  :mad:

Wook

Wookilar said:

Wook

Are they still talking about re-locating Tech Svcs Br lines from the B lines to the G lines (into new digs) as well? Last I heard, they were considering 'in the woods/field' to the left of the Officers quarters - directly accross the street from CFSME; you know -- co-located with their customers in a megaplex rather than on the far side of the base in 65+ yo buildings.

Wookilar said:
Basically, it's going in the trees  ;D.

The new and as yet very fuzzily defined fire hall is supposed to move to the woods behind CFSME's gravel parking lot, with the chapels possibly moving to a new location somewhere up by the CANEX/Soldier's Arena.

Wook

ArmyVern said:
Are they still talking about re-locating Tech Svcs Br lines from the B lines to the G lines (into new digs) as well? Last I heard, they were considering 'in the woods/field' to the left of the Officers quarters - directly accross the street from CFSME; you know -- co-located with their customers in a megaplex rather than on the far side of the base in 65+ yo buildings.

Hmm.... that would put it and the firehall in a boggy area.....

NFLD Sapper said:
Hmm.... that would put it and the firehall in a boggy area.....

I don't think so. I thought the plan was for the firehall to be behind CFMSE (currently the gravel compound accross the street in the rear of the building -- looking towards range control).

For Tech Svcs, from the main entrance of CFSME, look towards the Officer's Mess in the G lines. Note the road into their lines proper. Immediately to the left along that road ... now an open grassy field with wooded borders (across the street from G2 in the attachment that was uploaded to this site).

No matter where, it is nice to see some movement on infrastructure there ... they were discussing this crap when I was newly posted in there in 2003.

The plans I saw had much of the area around the F-lines marked off for "future development."

Like Vern said, the firehall was penciled in directly behind J-10.

Take all this with a grain or two of salt, this was back in Sep '10 when I tried to get a new parking lot and building for Fd Spt Tp/Pl...whenever the heck they end up coming over  ::)

Wook

ArmyVern said:
I don't think so. I thought the plan was for the firehall to be behind CFMSE (currently the gravel compound accross the street in the rear of the building -- looking towards range control).

For Tech Svcs, from the main entrance of CFSME, look towards the Officer's Mess in the G lines. Note the road into their lines proper. Immediately to the left along that road ... now an open grassy field with wooded borders (across the street from G2 in the attachment that was uploaded to this site).

No matter where, it is nice to see some movement on infrastructure there ... they were discussing this crap when I was newly posted in there in 2003.

Went through that area this summer with a course and it was boggy down in there...

NFLD Sapper said:
Went through that area this summer with a course and it was boggy down in there...

Before all the construction in 1989 and the building of the Combat Arms School, what is it? J1; we used to take the TQ3s out into the woods between the H Lines (South Parade Sq), next to the old Rappel Tower and the K Lines and have them practice patrollings and stealth in playing "Capture the Flag".  It was all bog too.  When I looked at the foundation they built for J1, it was only three feet high.  I'm no Architect or Engineer, but even I could figure out that that foundation in a bog was not going to support a multi-story cement and brick building.  And people wondered why all the windows and the roof leaked.

I am pretty sure the Building is J7 that houses all of the Schools in Gagetown.

Simian Turner said:
I am pretty sure the Building is J7 that houses all of the Schools in Gagetown.

Its been a while.  I left in '89 as the first steelwork was started.  I had a tasking there in 2004, but that was about it; and most of that was out at Clone's Biv Site.

Back