• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

Good Afternoon,
I finish BMQ in early December if everything goes as it should. I'm just trying to get a grasp of what will follow once BMQ is over. Such as if I will be sent to wherever training for AC OP is held (North Bay according to the Canadian forces site), or if I will report to somewhere else. Not sure if the holidays will be a factor but its not really a concern for me if I'm working or not. Also any general information anyone feels like providing about the AC OP training is more than welcome.
Thanks again in advance. 

jk_7 said:
Good Afternoon,
I finish BMQ in early December if everything goes as it should. I'm just trying to get a grasp of what will follow once BMQ is over. Such as if I will be sent to wherever training for AC OP is held (North Bay according to the Canadian forces site), or if I will report to somewhere else. Not sure if the holidays will be a factor but its not really a concern for me if I'm working or not. Also any general information anyone feels like providing about the AC OP training is more than welcome.
Thanks again in advance.

Concern yourself only with BMQ for now, focus on getting through that first.

Once you complete BMQ you will be posted to a unit for "OJT", along with studying your pre-course package (for QL3, assuming they still have that). You could be posted to any one of a number of units post BMQ, i.e. North Bay BTL, 12Rdr, 42Rdr, any ATC unit (i.e Greenwood, Shearwater, Bagotville, Trenton etc..). There are usually three QL3 courses per year, most often Sept, Jan, Apr/ May in Cornwall ON. With Dec timing you could end up on the Jan QL3, but that depends on if there's a backlog. Your best option for OJT post BMQ is an ATC unit, since a lack of security clearance won't prevent you from seeing / learning something directly trade related. If you're sent to North Bay or a Radar Unit for OJT you'll be doing unrelated work until you have a security clearance (although this can be a good time to complete other courses like 404's, language profile etc..). FYI most people don't have their security clearance until their QL3 is completed, and sometimes later. Good luck.

I went through the search engine to find the answer, but couldn't find them in the end and decided to just ask directly (maybe I over looked it?).

Anyway, I'm not in the army, but I do hope to join them in the near future, and I been collecting as much information as I could, either from the gov site or  from this form, which has been extremely helpful so far. And so to the question at hand! How much is the rent cost for a room in the garrison, which people seems to call it a "shack" ?

And I'm assuming different garrison have different rent price and whether you share a room or have a room to yourself is also a factor, so any general number would be a great help! And in case it matters, I'm planning on joining the Infantry or the Combat Engineer.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies!  :)

For a new Pte.  On the high end of the scale $309.00 per month (Single Room, shared bath) and on the low end $97.00 (Dorm style, shared bath).

It all depends on the "type" of accommodation being provided and the rating (ie; Poor to Very Good).

And don't forget the cost of rations, if you're not able to de-link.

Thanks you for the clear info!

And this might be going a bit off topic from the original post, but I have some more questions about living at the Garrison. Am I correct to assume that the meals are not covered? (Seeing as PMedMoe said ration is not covered :( and what is this "de-link"?)Or is the lunch served by the military and the rest of the meals are from our own pocket? And do you also have to pay for the utility bills, such as water, electricity, and internet and such? I'm mainly interested in how we would pay for the internet. Assuming that we are even allow to have internet that is :p.

youkissass said:
Am I correct to assume that the meals are not covered?

Meals are another expense on top of paying for your room.

youkissass said:
and what is this "de-link"?

Living in barracks, but opting not to pay for rations(food) from the mess. You can pay cash for meals at the mess if you aren't paying rations.

youkissass said:
Or is the lunch served by the military and the rest of the meals are from our own pocket?

If you are paying for rations(food), you are paying for 3 meals a day for every day of the month.

youkissass said:
And do you also have to pay for the utility bills, such as water, electricity, and internet and such?

You do not pay utilities.  Internet you will have to pay for unless your barracks has wifi available for everyone - only seen this in some barracks in Edmonton and I believe transient quarters in Meaford(or at least they used to).

youkissass said:
I'm mainly interested in how we would pay for the internet. Assuming that we are even allow to have internet that is :p.

You would pay for internet like you would any where else, paying the ISP.

To set up the internet you would go through a ISP and they will send a tech to do the hook up(some places, base Sigs will do the hook up). When on course, for the most part don't expect to be able to have internet.  How ever, some schools may allow you to get internet hooked up or may already provide wifi for everyone.  Once you are out of the training system and posted to your unit you are allowed to have internet/cable.

-Skeletor- said:
Just like you would anywhere else;  call a Internet Service Provider and go through them.  They will send a tech to hook you up, etc. When on course, for the most part don't expect to be able to have internet.  How ever, some schools may allow you to get internet hooked up or may already provide wifi for everyone.  Once you are out of the training system and posted to your unit you are allowed to have internet/cable.

At least for GAGETOWN, base Sigs does your internet hook up in the shacks. BELL provides service to the main hub and then Sigs takes over.

NFLD Sapper said:
At least for GAGETOWN, base Sigs does your internet hook up in the shacks. BELL provides service to the main hub and then Sigs takes over.

Thanks, didn't know that;  edited my post to reflect this.  All the places I've been, we had to call a ISP to come down and do the hook up unless wifi was already available in the barracks.

How often are people in AC Op trade able to get their posting of choice, or at least their top 3?

Also, is possible/likely in the AC op trade to spend a good chunk of your career at one base (say 10 or 15 years in north bay or trenton)?

Thanks

Just to quadruple confirm and revive a dead thread.

If I have a son who I'm paying for, however I'm separated, I only pay rations and not quarters?

Thanks.

Cbbmtt said:
Just the thread to quadruple confirm and revive a dead thread.

If I have a son who I'm paying for, however I'm separated, I only pay rations and not quarters?

Paying what?  Child support?  In that case, you will pay both R&Q.

Will your son be living alone in the house while you're gone?  I'm not sure what the regulations are for someone with a mortgage of an unoccupied house.

I would just like to point out that while on PAT/PAR we pay...

$97.00 for a bunkbed with up to 12 persons a room (shared bathroom with up to 150 pers) and
$565.85 for Rations a month... Anyone eaten here before?

:facepalm:

Anyone else here on PAT/PAR? What do you pay? Is it all the same?

adventure-guide said:
I would just like to point out that while on PAT/PAR we pay...

$97.00 for a bunkbed with up to 12 persons a room (shared bathroom with up to 150 pers) and
$565.85 for Rations a month... Anyone eaten here before?

:facepalm:

Anyone else here on PAT/PAR? What do you pay? Is it all the same?

Sweet Jesus  :eek:  the $97 for a bunk bed with all those roomies is high but manageable but $565.85 in rations!  Crazy

Back