• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sit-Ups

About running
If you cannot run a mile in 7 seconds at least you will be having a really hard time, I assure you.

Now try running the same mile in under 7 seconds with about 40 lbs of gear on you, in heavy boots and bad weather, that is more like reality now.
Holy cow!! A 7 second mile?!?! You must be in that Army of God I‘m always hearing about!! ;)

I did a bit of math converting KM to miles and figuring out what the minimum and superior scores for the fitness test would be. It roughly works out to a bare pass being 8 minute mile and superior pass being 6:50 (thats in my head, so correct me). However, I‘ve always been under the impression that these entry standards are the same regardless of the job you‘re applying for. If you‘re applying for infantry you‘ll have a rough time if you can just squeeze past the minimum standard (<----recruiter told me that).

With regard to age, I believe that the age limit for applying to the CF is 52 years old, isn‘t it? :)

7 seconds/mile = 515 miles/hour. :eek:

LMAO. I don‘t even think BUD‘s is that tough. :D

Running a 7 min/mile anywhere with 40lbs of gear
on your back is just asking for trouble.. better
make sure that gear tight Tight TIGHTLY secured!

A 7 minute mile is not impossible though even
BUD/S starts at 8:30 and works its way up to
7:30/mile. I don‘t know where that figure is
coming from, but I would sure be interested in
knowing what army requires basic recruits to run
7 minute miles.

Hahahaha, im sorry guys, I was thinking about something else at the time, I meant 7 minutes,

Although I thought you would understand that I meant minutes but oh well

Sorry

I do not think you all understood me correctly,

1. I meant 7 minutes
2. I did not say that it is a requirement in any army, what i meant was that if you can run a 7 minute mile you will be fine.

I think a 7 minute mile is nothing hard, I was doing low 6 when I was back in highschool.

By the way, what does the fitness test require

Polkovnik wrote >
"I must say after I read some of this stuff here, I understand why ur army is not as good as it could be.

No offence, but I think if you are over 35 it is a bit too late to be joining the army."

Have to admit Veteran‘s Son starts a good thread.
Polkovnik, after reading the stuff on this site, why do you think the army isn‘t as good as it could be? I think your taking things way out of context.

For the next paragraph, the CF accepts all ages from about 18 to up to 55 yrs. Yes, the average 35 yrs old isn‘t in the same physical category as the average 18 yr old. I‘d figure the physical requirments for the Army MOCs, infantry and armour as an example, are quite high. Yet, MOCs in medical, electronics, datacomm, mechanics, more or less skilled labour are toned by education and experience. An electronics technologist/recruit right out of college is less useful than that of someone with 10 or 15 years of experience. CF MOCs, not just the in Army, requires skills now with more high-tech content and a good level of physical fitness. In some MOCS, the CF looks hard for skills the recruit brings in and older recruits can have more background. Other MOCs may prefer younger enlistments.

Although I thought you would understand that I meant minutes but oh well
Yeah, we knew, but we where just buggin yah.. :)

From situps to 7 second miles to seals, this thread has it all. :D

Don‘t forget the newbie flaming the other newbies. That‘s always classic and good for a guffaw.

hey guys.... was hoping you guys could completely clarify the step test. I saw the previous link that showed the one step tecumseh test, but as has been previously stated the CF uses three. So are there simply a small set of three stairs in front of you, and you go straight up and then backwards? It seems to me that going backwards like that with any speed could be very difficult/dangerous, so if anyone can confirm or deny my understanding I would be very appreciative, as it would aid in my current training. I think I‘ll be fine, I train on a monstrous set of switchback stairs, totalling a menacing 260 steps! :eek:

The step test is an ineffective test in determining a VO2 max. Firstly it is not performance based (which is the only way a VO2 max can be clearly identified). I can run 2.4 km in 11:15 (as I did the police test), did 35 pushups, 45 situps and had a grip test of 95. i should mention that I am also 34 years old an returning to the forces after a few years. They told me I failed the test. i refuted the result, raised **** at CFRC, and they allowed me a re-test (3 days after i did the first). I passed the test with no problems on the second round. I do a lot of heavy weights, and run 4 times a week. The tester told me that body weight affects the VO2 max calculation, as does your age.

If I was to make a recommendation I would cahallenge any time

Polkovnik, first off because I‘m over 35 (just)doesn‘t mean I can no longer do the job. I am the only member of my BMQ to score 60 out of 60 on weapon qualification staff included.

Begin Rant I think you need to ask yourself the question - who would you rather have as fire team partner? A 17 year old kid shaking in his shoes or a person twice that age with the determination to gut out the physical requirements to be a soldier and with the motivation to get the job done.

People in general tend to discount the Reserve soldier because he or she can walk away at any time. The point is we don‘t . My course signed on to work 5 days per week at our civie side jobs and then 3 weekends on one weekend off for BMQ. Two days off every 28 gets tiring but still people keep on coming back for more. :fifty: Thus ends the rant

Cpt Kap-
"who would you rather have as fire team partner? A 17 year old kid shaking in his shoes or a person twice that age with the determination to gut out the physical requirements to be a soldier and with the motivation to get the job done."

Add a few years experience, military or just life in general to that equation too.

Well said.

"I must say after I read some of this stuff here, I understand why ur army is not as good as it could be.
No offence, but I think if you are over 35 it is a bit too late to be joining the army."
LOL

I‘ve watched super runners carry a rucksack for a day and a half and start to shut down beause they were tired and it was heavy, their muscles were sore. I watched really built muscular soldiers go down after a 2 km webbing march because they dehydrated, too much createan in their system. Ya sure someone can run a mile in 6 minutes in highschool, their also kids and not grown men.

It‘s safe to say our military has a brutal level of physical fitness. Everyone has seen soldiers who are, and i don‘t mean to be hateful, disgusting to look at. Sure their great guys. Would i try and pull them out of a burning vehicle? Of course. COULD i? Even at 185 pounds and a little heavy up top myself, not a chance. Physical fitness is something that can be taught and worked at. When people get out of control they can be brought back down to a normal level. As much our PT is a problem i think even MORE of a concern is the mentality and to be honest, stupidity of people passing battleschool or getting shuffled around regiment to regiment like a hot potato.
When you have a 3 year private confuse a major general with another private, try and bum a smoke off him and then proceed to bitch for having to do a garbage sweep because he "forgot" to show up to work in uniform we need to sit back and say sure this kid can run a mile in 6 and a half minutes and boy look at him pump off those push ups but what the h*ll are we doing putting a rifle in his hands with live rounds?
We need better PT. (My personal PT is pretty bad in itself, something im working on) but we REALLY need to quit hiring bums off the street who can‘t speak english (or french) and laugh at their section commanders because they know we can‘t kick them out of the army with out a practical act of god.

oops, i just ment to laugh at the guy who thinks someone with 35 years of life experence (opposed to that of a 17 year old) isn‘t ideal for the military and being in the real world.

In my opinion 17 is too young for the army,

what i meant was 35 is a bit too late to be >joining< the army, that doesnt go for everyone ofcourse, everybody is different, if you have the energy and the ambition go for it.

I dont think that Canada‘s army has tough physical requirements,
each army has its own strategy and way of making its soldier, thats why all armies are somewhat different.

Polkovnik, if you don‘t mind my asking...

...Have you ever served in the CF? Have you ever served in another nation‘s military?

You‘re saying some controvertial stuff, and I‘m curious as to how you‘ve formed your opinions.

Back