• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note on this, I was under the impression that your CFAT scores are not discussed. How did ZxExn know he was second highest? Im suprised they told you this.

Another note, as was told to me by a recruiter, was obviously, your GPA scores are only as good as who your competition is. Just depends what kind of grades the other applicants have.

Chris

hi! i'm presently in the naval reserve as an nci op and i got one of the best average of all canada student in my QL1(97%) and i made a request for pilot. So i was wondering if i have great chance to be choose even if my highschool average is almost 80%. I'm now studying to the college in natural science and my average si about 75% and i'll begin a mechanical engineering this winter. I'm now waiting for a call to do the basic canadian forces test (medical, physical). I know there are a lot of demand to go at the military college this year and the highschool average to get in is 80%. Is there any one who know if i'm considered as a good candidate if they consider that i have a great shape?

thank you!

It really all depends on who you're competing with. Yes a 80% average is definately competitive, but as long as you have lots more on top of that. Im not a recruiter so you probably want to talk to one of them.

ok thank you! Yes it's sure if there are a lot of people having an average of 90% with good experience of working and in great shape i have less chances to be chosen.But if i'm not chose this year because of the tough competition with other candidatei could be choose next year right? But i'm gonna talk to a recuiter to know more about my case to place me through the other candidates! :mad:

steven18 said:
yeah it's sure lol!..but working in the naval reserve, go to the gym fourth a week and study do you think it's enough to be a good candidate?

Are you talking about applying for DEO or ROTP?

ok thanks for your advise cda84...kincanucks for my part i'm talking about rotp! i'd like to go to rmc next year but i was wondering if i was a good candidate to be a pilot as well as rmc:)

steven18 said:
ok thanks for your advise cda84...kincanucks for my part i'm talking about rotp! i'd like to go to rmc next year but i was wondering if i was a good candidate to be a pilot as well as rmc:)

Oh I was just a little confuse because this thread is about DEO.Ā  You have a fair chance but I would recommend adding the prep year as a backup and don't forget to apply to Civie U too.Ā  Good Luck.

yeah i begin in mechanical engineering this winter at laval university and if i'm accepted to rmc i'll go there next year...but if i'm refused to rmc i don't know if it's sure they'll want me to subsidize me at laval U.

I've alway wanted to become a pilot and heard that the air force is always looking for pilots.Ā  I have been reading on this forum and Canadian forces web site on what you need to become a air force pilot for the CF. I know that you need to have a degree to become one but i was wondering if there is anyone that doesn't have a degree and yet they still got in, what they did to get there. Also wondering what the average age for beginner pilots?

yes, you need a degree.Ā  Age is irrelavent.Ā  There were a few in their 40's on my Moose Jaw course.

if your "Smart" enough, you should be able to get in to RMC or get a tuition reimbursement.

Guy. E said:
if your "Smart" enough, you should be able to get in to RMC or get a tuition reimbursement.

By "smart" he means female, visible minority, or french.Ā  :D

Tuition re-imbursement does'nt even come close to covering the bills either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know someone will, but I belive you can go for pilot without a degree under the (CEOTP) Continuing Education Officer Training Program (which there is a ton of info about on this site). The recruiting gal I was speaking with yesterday mentioned it to me and said there are openings.

Cheers

:cdn:

I didn't realize that CEOTP was still open. But thats good if it is.

I have to say, I think its really funny when recruiters are saying that the Air Force is looking for pilots cause they are low on numbers when there are about 200 untrained pilots in the system waiting for our wings.

23007 said:
I didn't realize that CEOTP was still open. But thats good if it is.

I have to say, I think its really funny when recruiters are saying that the Air Force is looking for pilots cause they are low on numbers when there are about 200 untrained pilots in the system waiting for our wings.

If you think the waiting is going to stop when you get your wings, you're in for a big surprise. MH you'll be waiting for 6 months to a year for the OTU, and then once you're finished, the only way you'll get any flying time is to go to sea. The Griffon community probably flys the most out of any community in the CF, with the instructors in Moose Jaw not far behind.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world.

One more note on CEOTP, it's not that you don't require a degree, it's that you don't require one up front. You still have to get one within your 9 year Short Service Engagement.

Inch said:
If you think the waiting is going to stop when you get your wings, you're in for a big surprise. MH you'll be waiting for 6 months to a year for the OTU, and then once you're finished, the only way you'll get any flying time is to go to sea. The Griffon community probably flys the most out of any community in the CF, with the instructors in Moose Jaw not far behind.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world.

I`m fully aware of that. The good thing is that I want TacHel anyways so hopefully that wait for me won`t be too bad after wings. Besides if the wait is no more than a year then its just gravy compared to this 19 month wait.

Inch, are you eastcoast or westcoast?

23007 said:
I`m fully aware of that. The good thing is that I want TacHel anyways so hopefully that wait for me won`t be too bad after wings. Besides if the wait is no more than a year then its just gravy compared to this 19 month wait.

Inch, are you eastcoast or westcoast?

I waited 20 months for Moose Jaw, I feel your pain.

Eastcoast.

i cant fly CF, i have glassesĀ  :'(

thats why i want to fix themĀ  >:D

Inch said:
I waited 20 months for Moose Jaw, I feel your pain.

Eastcoast.
20 months from the application, or after basic training...?
What did you do in the meantime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back