• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So You Want to be an officer, eh!

It's one thing to think you'll get in, but wandering around blathering to everyone here that you're a shoe in is bad form.  SHOULD you make it to RMC and SHOULD you make it to BMOQ, with an attitude like that, you'll find yourself very quickly without any kind of the support you'll need to get through training.  Quite simply, to use your words, the "sheep" will follow the alpha ram instead of the "shepherd" and you'll fail. 

Jim - is that with or without the help of a pace stick?

MM

No pace stick required here, mate!! It is a good thing to carry around an Air Wing.  >:D

yoman said:
You must be able to express yourself clearly and concisely as a member of the Canadian Forces and especially as an officer. That's all their they're trying to say.

Good luck with your application. If accepted, you will have four years at one of the finest educational institutions in the country to hone your communication skills.

I fixed that for you.  I can only assume that you have yet to complete your four years.....

PPCLI Guy said:
I fixed that for you.  I can only assume that you have yet to complete your four years.....

Thank you. and ya I hve yet to comlpet my fuor yaers. won mre to go.  :p

future_captain said:
Again i would like to apologize to the ones that feels it is a slap to their face when i said "I know i am getting in".  Now I will not boast on my skills or my background to justify my application and attitude. It is my self confidence and experience that will help me get in.

Here's some timeless advice for a potential subaltern:

http://regimentalrogue.com/srsub/seccessful_subaltern.htm

I just read this post start to finish and I must say that I quite enjoyed it.

Being someone that has been waiting to get into the military for the last two years as an officer and now I'm waiting another, I found the post full of insight and advice from it's senior members. What made it even more interesting is my major being Psychology.

So... I thank you!

jemcgrg said:
I just read this post start to finish and I must say that I quite enjoyed it.

Being someone that has been waiting to get into the military for the last two years as an officer and now I'm waiting another, I found the post full of insight and advice from it's senior members. What made it even more interesting is my major being Psychology.

So... I thank you!

Interesting.... turn up anything 'Freudian' you'd care to share with us?

And remember, there are no jokes in Vienna.  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Interesting.... turn up anything 'Freudian' you'd care to share with us?

And remember, there are no jokes in Vienna.  ;D

Haha, Based on the 'passion' with which people have expressed their opinions and some of the rebuttals I think it best if I keep mine to myself. :nod:

Does anyone have a clue if NCM PLQ qualified CT's to RMC need to do the FYOP?

As it mainly consists of BMQ/BMOQ material it seems completely unnecessary outside of the RMC history and tradition info.

Any thoughts?

*BMOQ and FYOP searches took me to this thread and I don't think this question alone is worth starting a new one*

stretch said:

As it mainly consists of BMQ/BMOQ material it seems completely unnecessary outside of the RMC history and tradition info.

Any thoughts?

Dude - you are not qualified to determine if something is necessary or not.  Embrace your new life and do whatever is asked of you

Quote from: future_captain on April 12, 2011, 13:39:51
also it is a natural skill either you have it or dont have it to be a leader. either you are a Shepard or a sheep.

Following on from T2B, many persons have natural leadership skills, but that doesnt automatically make them good leaders.  There are also persons who appear to lack leadership skills that end up making good leaders based on experience and training, as you will find once you get in and have a few years under your belt. 

stretch said:

As someone with some experience you should already know about the importance of team work built through shared adversity and hardship. The last thing you want to be doing is showing up and looking to get OUT of stuff. If for no other reason then your classmates are doing it, you should want to do it to.

I intend to completely embrace and appreciate what ever is asked of me. I have always been that way and I wouldn't be as successful if I didn't.

PPCLI Guy, you're right, I shall now pry the foot from my mouth.

Just to be clear I do not intend to ask to get OUT of anything, I'm just scouring the boards for information so that I can prepare myself for a Day 1 mentality if I need to. I'm sure you gentlemen can at least empathize with the necessary shift in attitude that would be required of me if I must go back to the basics strictly for bureaucracy sake.

The pay scale for office from NCM to CFR or UTP-NCM is quite extensive.  I was wondering if a NCM was to CFR, what would be the approximate time frame until becoming a captain lets say?

uniqnik said:
. . . . .  I was wondering if a NCM was to CFR, what would be the approximate time frame until becoming a captain lets say?

Are you wondering about the time from enrolment (as an NCM) until promotion to captain?  You do realize that there are criteria to be met before someone is recommended for CFR.  Anyway, (from my rather dated experience) it would take on average 13 to 30 years to reach the rank of captain through CFR.

Yeah i'm asking because looking at the pay scale here on the forces.ca website, the pay increments are confusing me.  It goes from basic and then 1 - 10, I was just wondering if it would take one year to get from one number on the pay scale to the next.

uniqnik said:
Yeah i'm asking because looking at the pay scale here on the forces.ca website, the pay increments are confusing me.  It goes from basic and then 1 - 10, I was just wondering if it would take one year to get from one number on the pay scale to the next.

Yes, each number represents a year that you are in that rank.  However, just because there are 10 IPC levels doesn't mean that everyone gets promoted (or let go) after 10 years as a Captain; you just stay at that pay level.

Dimsum said:
Yes, each number represents a year that you are in that rank.  However, just because there are 10 IPC levels doesn't mean that everyone gets promoted (or let go) after 10 years as a Captain; you just stay at that pay level.

And conversely, plenty of folk get promoted before they hit the maximum pay incentive for that rank.

stretch said:
If you're a CT then you will be doing FYOP.  There are people who have done tours in Afghanistan and have their PLQ who still had to do FYOP.

The only people who go to class in uniform that get to bypass FYOP are those coming from CMR St. Jean as 2nd years or those coming in as part of the UTPNCM program.

Hello,

Can someone please advise on the deadline for RMC applications for the 2013-2014 school year? I've searched the net and found some conflicting info, 15 Jan 13 is what I've found?

Additionally, is this the deadline for applications to make it to RMC or the deadline for them to be submitted to CFRC?

Thank you in advance.

John

Back