• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So You Want to be an officer, eh!

RMC has a bad stereotype but in my experience it has been almost entirely false.

Call it what you want, the culture of entitlement, the silver spoon...whatever...perhaps less than 10% of the ones I have served with were deserving (which pretty much mirrors DEO, CEOTP, or NCMs).

As for the obstacle course, from what I hear it's not the trench you need to worry about; it's the firehose on the hill.

Some obstacle change, some don't, its different every year. check out the other posts, I'm sure there plenty said about it all.
As for the people here, the majority are gonna have to learn quick after graduation, including myself. but its not just the students, some of the officers here never really learned leadership,  which is probably why they were sent here in the first place.
Either way, its your own experience. and the videos wont do you justice.
Best of luck to ya.

In my limited, yet rather meaningful experience with RMC, the Forces in General and a thesis devoted to the education of officers as leaders....I have learend one thing....that is that Leadership (the quality) is not learned, taught, or otherwise imparted to people.  They either have it in them or they dont. On that note some people are just better at it, like everything else.  As such RMC produces the same % of quality officers as any other programme, but they benefit from a slight advantage in the long run.....they know people. RMC is less an education in something which can't be taught and more an experience in networking and joining a long standing culture of mutual support.

i read most of the posts on this thread they are very informative, yes the NCOs have years of experience through out the time of their service. as i want to get in RMC (which i know i will) i will get to learn to lead and be a better leader, also it does not mean when i am a leader i will forget about the NCOs or fellow soldiers that have many years of combat experience more than me. it will be an opportunity for me to lead and also learn from my subordinates, some one said "you are as strong as your weakest link" a leader is not some one who will bark orders at everyone lower than him, a leader will collect all the information and see how is it processed through this subordinates actions, and if there is a better way can be done efficiently and safely,

also it is a natural skill either you have it or dont have it to be a leader. either you are a Shepard or a sheep.

future_captain said:
also it is a natural skill either you have it or dont have it to be a leader. either you are a Shepard or a sheep.

I think you need to read more and post less.

I am glad you have enthusiasm for the job and career ahead but you are totally wrong.  There are many people that yes people follow because they just naturally have it in them.  Others we follow just out of morbid curiosity of what they are going to do next.  But the skillsets of a leader can be taught, reinforced, mentored and developed in individuals.  There are a great many people on this board who could tell you about the dude they got who could direct or lead his Pl/Troop out of a paperbag when he or she first arrived in the unit.  But by the time they left had gained the trust, respect and loyalty of their subordinates.

future_captain said:
.... as i want to get in RMC (which i know i will) ...

And how do you know this?  Have you been accepted already?  That would be quite the accomplishment.

jwtg said:
And how do you know this?  Have you been accepted already?  That would be quite the accomplishment.

i am sorry i can not say anything more than what i have said regarding my application, or process and the skills i have brought to the table to be a member of the CF.

future_captain said:
i am sorry i can not say anything more than what i have said regarding my application, or process and the skills i have brought to the table to be a member of the CF.
Well, my advice is make sure the essay portion of your RMC application is well written- including proper capitalization!

WOW! I do not know what to say because all the posts i am seeing here, they are all about bashing new cadet officers and folks who wants to join the ROTP program. My first language is not English so pardon me if I made any mistakes.

I've learned to communicate in a few languages that use the same alphabet and generally the same systems of grammar as English - none  condone the use of run on sentences, poor use of punctuation or lack of captialization.  If you read the guidelines when you signed up for this site, you'd have realized we actually expect people to write like they're expected to for school or at work, not like they're texting their friends.  And believe me, I'm being polite...if you wrote a paper like that at RMC or wrote a memo like that at BMOQ or anywhere else in your career for that matter, and in either official language, you'd get something back that looked like someone sacrificed their goat all over it.  Consider it a favour.

MM

future_captain said:
WOW! I do not know what to say because all the posts i am seeing here, they are all about bashing new cadet officers and folks who wants to join the ROTP program.
No one's bashing anyone.  This forum expects proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Consider our comments to be constructive advice.  Also, coming in here saying 'I know I'll get in' is a slap in the face to everyone patiently awaiting their answers RIGHT NOW from RMC.  There are no guarantees.  Maybe you'll be a great applicant- maybe you won't.  Best of luck, but coming in with such certainty walks a fine line between confidence and arrogance. 

My first language is not English so pardon me if I made any mistakes.
Pardoned.  You make an effort- that's all we ask.  Use spell check and capitalize your 'I's.  That will reduce your errors.

EDIT: Typo.

Again i would like to apologize to the ones that feels it is a slap to their face when i said "I know i am getting in".  Now I will not boast on my skills or my background to justify my application and attitude. It is my self confidence and experience that will help me get in.

I have used the excuse that english is my second language on occasion, but it does not excuse lack of proper capitalization and ponctuation. Compris?

future_captain said:
Again i would like to apologize to the ones that feels it is a slap to their face when i said "I know i am getting in".  Now I will not boast on my skills or my background to justify my application and attitude. It is my self confidence and experience that will help me get in.

Et ton arrogance vas etre ton talon d'Achille.

Dissident said:
I have used the excuse that english is my second language on occasion, but it does not excuse lack of proper capitalization and ponctuation. Compris?

Excuse is not an option sir. It is what it is. I understand French have studied it too but nor English or French is my mother tongue, I do okay, I am not an English major or anything,

future_captain said:
Help is the operative word here.  Your confidence and experience, while valuable, will be meaningless with regards to your CF application if your CFAT score isn't high enough.  You also need to perform well on your interview, research your trades of interest thoroughly, write an impressive application, have competitive marks and a range of different athletic, leadership and volunteer experience example to draw from in order to make your application competitive.

It doesn't matter how good you are- it matters how good you are compared to the other applicants- and there are some very high caliber ROTP applicants.  Not to discourage you- in fact my intention is the opposite.  Work hard to make yourself competitive, but be prepared to face the reality of the sheer volume of ROTP applicants VS. available positions.  Some ROTP applicants even have previous CF experience or other equally impressive resumes.

Further, your profile lists your preferred language as English.  Perhaps change that.

EDIT: I realize, after reading your post in another thread, that you have apparently already been merit listed.  Welcome to the big, happy family. 

future_captain said:
WOW! I do not know what to say because all the posts i am seeing here, they are all about bashing new cadet officers and folks who wants to join the ROTP program. My first language is not English so pardon me if I made any mistakes.

No one should be bashing any officer cadets on here. That's my job.... ;D

future_captain said:
Excuse is not an option sir. It is what it is. I understand French have studied it too but nor English or French is my mother tongue, I do okay, I am not an English major or anything,

You must be able to express yourself clearly and concisely as a member of the Canadian Forces and especially as an officer. That's all their trying to say.

Good luck with your application. If accepted, you will have four years at one of the finest educational institutions in the country to hone your communication skills. 

future_captain said:
i read most of the posts on this thread they are very informative, yes the NCOs have years of experience through out the time of their service. as i want to get in RMC (which i know i will) i will get to learn to lead and be a better leader, also it does not mean when i am a leader i will forget about the NCOs or fellow soldiers that have many years of combat experience more than me. it will be an opportunity for me to lead and also learn from my subordinates, some one said "you are as strong as your weakest link" a leader is not some one who will bark orders at everyone lower than him, a leader will collect all the information and see how is it processed through this subordinates actions, and if there is a better way can be done efficiently and safely,

The first paragraph of your post, while hard to follow at times, did have a generally positive theme. Your second line, though, strikes me as a bit odd. Everyone in uniform has a boss. To be a good leader you also have to be a good follower.

None of us are sheep. If anything we are sheepdogs - what makes us different than the wolves out there is our willing obedience and willingness to protect the flock against all dangers.

The nature vs nurture debate on leadership is ongoing. My own thoughts are that some are more suited for leadership positions than others, but that it also takes training and experience to develop leadership potential into leadership ability. I have also found that people can surprise me and themselves regarding their leadership potential.

Cheers

T2B

Back