• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

They have taken out the anti-armour stuff because most land environment types would never use it....and no more driving course.

It's much harder than basic because you can't get aay with all the whiny stupid crap you get away with as a recruit. They expect you to be a tough soldier.

I am on SQ and our section/PL is doing a bang up job according to the SGT....we just got off of the range with the C9 today....it's wuite the thrill....especially when you have a stoppage and sarge is yelling in your ear

I know Basic training is in ST Jean.  However, does anyone know where they do Soldier Qualification?

McG said:
Craig M said:
1. Where is the 10 week SQ course held?  Is carried on at St. Jeans right after the BMQ?
The SQ course can be run at any of the area training centres, by an infantry battalion (working out of its own lines), or any other place the Army may decide it has the staff and facilities available to run the course.  I do not know if any are run at St Jean.  The SQ is an Army course and St Jean is not an Army establishment.

I start my SQ in meaford on july 19 because my moc is infantry.I also know that quite a few people from my platoon in St. Jean that are doing there SQ in borden. The people in borden are going in for trades such as MSE op,med tech,clerks.......so if you are considering one of those trades you are likely to end up in borden.

You could end up in Borden or Wainwright. They are the two places that I know that they hold SQ. It can also depend on what trade you're wanting because they'll hold your SQ in different places depending on what trade you are and also what spaces are open in SQ courses.

For your SQ training is there any chance a person can request a particular location?

Craig M said:
For your SQ training is there any chance a person can request a particular location?

of course not LOL. Its going to be where you will do your ql3 usually, If your infantry PPCLI, then its wainwright, Vandoos then its val cartier.

I know with us (Sig Ops) here at JSR Kingston, we had a bunch of new privates come in off of their 3's that had to do it. We put almost 100 of them through the trg. We sent them all to Petawawa (with our own staff) and I heard that it went very well.

My understanding of the SQ crse is that you only have to do the trg if you did not have an LTT \ LET portion of your 3's. This is basic soldiering skills, it's not as light as Basic and not as heavy as battle school.

I've read the info on SQ in the FAQ section.  But I'd like more details...preferably from somebody who's recently finished the SQ course.  I've heard some people say 70% of the people fail it and that it's 10 times harder than BMQ.  I just want to know if that's true...

All an SQ course is a course where you are trained in the basic skills needed to be in the army. How to use a variety of weapons, gernades and other things. There is definately a lot of PT and ruck marches, but it can vary on who is in charge of your SQ course. It can be taught by anyone of any trade in the army. There's not much else to it.

Don't worry about it -- it's not as if you have a choice NOT to do it! The field portion is the bit you wanna watch out for.

My advice:

1. Get fit
2. Get fit
3. Get good insoles for your boots

and ... oh yeah, 4. Get fit

Greywolf: Even advanced courses like Basic Para don't typically have a failure rate of 70%, so whoever told you that is full of $hit. It's harder than BMQ, but it's designed to that people of all trades have a reasonably good chance of passing it. Without counting voluntary or medical RTUs, it wouldn't surprise me to see most SQ courses with a pass rate in the high 90th percentile or even at a hundred percent.

I've heard that the Driver Wheeled Crourse (PO 113) is no longer part of the regular force SQ.  Is this true?

The driver wheeled course is no longer used.  Each vehicle has it's own course, and it done on a need to have bassis.  If a member already has a driver course for a vehicle, the other vehicle courses can be shortened, it becomes a conversion course.
We just finished a dvr course for the reservists and all they learned was LSVW, now any other vehicle they learn will be a conversion course.

I find it hard to believe that any vehicle being taught after taking a LSVW Dvr Crse will be simply a Conversion Crse.  Learning to drive a LSVW, does not in anyway resemble or come close to driving a HLVW, TLAV, LAV III, MLVW, Bison, Coyote, or any other vehicle in the CF inventory.

GW

In the reserve world no smp vehicle driving is taught until you take a trade specific course. IE DP1 and only in the armoured trades as far I'm aware. :threat:

George, you're absolutly right about the differences in driving vehicles.  The big reason that I see for this way of thinking is the amount of people on PAT platoons, to at least qualify them on something. The reservists that were taught on this course still had their cornflakes and after they went on their trade course.

Back