• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

It is not a new practive to conduct courses for just one vehicle in the reserves, but I have never seen this done in the regular force (where I still see driver wheel courses being run).  However, I ask again: Has the drive SMP portion been removed from the SQ course?

The way I understand the new directives is that the actual LFC DVR WHEELED course is no longer a recognized course, it is no more.  New recruits get an introduction to a vehicle, either LSVW or ILTIS (until they're gone) to give them a basic vehicle and then send them off to their units, and it's the unit responsibility to train them on the vehicles that are required.  This is for reg and res.  All other driver instruction can be done in a shorter format because the member has already completed the written tests and should know the rules of the road, the staff can therefore concentrate on teaching the vehicle in question.  I hope that answers a few questions.

Hey all I'm a trucker (MSE Op 935) with 1 SVC BN. I'll go talk to MSE Safety to verify the info on the dvr portion of the SQ crse. Give me a couple of days (Bn's last week before block lve)

Cheers :mg:

Straight from MSE Safety, dvr wheeled crses are NOT part of any SQ crse. Respective units train their own pers with Iltis, LSVW and MLVW. There are exceptions to every rule....I was also info'ed that if some pers are in holding pattern on PAT Pl they may receive certain veh according to job requirement.
Have a good one   :mg:

BMQ and the old QL2 are almost identical..
They did not cover C9, C6, M67 (c13), field craft or sh#t like that in the old QL2. Don't be disillusioned.

The old QL3 infantry was SQ/DP 1 Infantry (2IC Skills coy info me a week ago BIQ as a term does not exist) except that the training followed a more logical approach. (you didn't jump from one are of training to another so much)
Prior to SQ, the other combat arms (Art, arm and fd eng) did their own field phases (cool) and EME did some hard core sh@t at CF SMEME (Yup some CSS guys are hard core)..
The Log branch did nothing like that.
So the SQ was good for some areas of the army, others it actually put their training out of sequence.

I think the addition of SQ for all army trades is an excellent idea.  Previous to it, there was definitely not enough common army training for support trades.  As for CFSEME doing hardcore training, I did the week long field exercise in 1989 at Regimental (as part of EME common); it definitely was not hardcore.  We did a few section attacks and the rest was basically how EME lives in the field, ex:  cam & concealment, etc.  On the last night there was an attack on our position by the instructors.  Some of us also helped out the instructors with the new advance to contact drills with the C9 as they didn't know them yet and were teaching the old method with the C2's.  Perhaps things improved after that time.

In regards to the comment someone made earlier that BMQ trained pers are not allowed to go on field ex, they are correct.  Technically that is.  Most units still take 'em anyways.  The idea is that the BMQ field portion is now only a sleepover and therefore does not qualify for field work.  Having taught that BMQ field portion, it's basically a camping trip.  I'd still take BMQ trained pers on exercise though, despite the fact that all they have under their belt is a camping trip. 

im on sq right now
we have completed 3 weeks

learned...
c9 and c6
cold weather stuff
section attack theory
laser safety
recce patrol theory
field burial procedure
snow defences
camoflauge
did a shooting test (got marksman)
battle procedure
radios and field telephones
BFT - 13km ruckmarch

now we are on 30 days leave for christmas when we go back we go in the field and practice section attacks

At what website do they post these dates at, if anyone can send me the link that would be great thanks!

Hello everyone I started sq but did not finish due to injury. It didnt seem that bad but you can expect the same if not worse treatment than at basic. I do have a question though to anyone who may be able to answer. I have been hearing that sq will be add to the end of basic again starting in Jan. if this is true what about us guys still waiting to do sq? To further this info. the story has it that no one will be sent out to do sq. I hope someone can help answer this and have a Happy New Year.

I'm on my BMQ rite now in st jean, they told us that the next course staring IN Jan is just going to be 2 weeks longer. 1 more in the field, not sure bout the other.we had a couple guys have to recourse so they'll be doing the 12 week course. thats what we where told by our staff any way, who knows though?!

I am instructing on an SQ right now. Yes you will do if you are waiting for it (Holding platoon?) and no don't think that 2 extra weeks in St Jean means your doing SQ. The course is 7 weeks long and done at an area training center. SQ should not mentally be tougher than basic, however it is.

I'm taking my tests next week so I haven't started my SQ just yet...

However I am worried about the SQ dates.

I'm still in Highschool for the next year and a half...I can't be gone 20 days to complete that course...Especially since I'm going to Shilo and Fort Lewis with my Regiment (5th RCA in B.C.)

Anyone know more about this or does it have to be done in the summer before I go off?

I'd appreciate the help.

I would like to ask any member who knows if you could be selected with the knee condition "runners knees"?

I have had this condition for over 4 years, although pain in minor, and rare in most cases. Im afraid when i am medicaly inspected by a phycisian i be voided because of my knees. I also have partially flat feet and i must wear insoles.

I sound pretty screwed up physically, but i am a avid hiker and outdoorsman

Canuck_25 said:
I would like to ask any member who knows if you could be selected with the knee condition "runners knees"?

I have had this condition for over 4 years, although pain in minor, and rare in most cases. Im afraid when i am medicaly inspected by a phycisian i be voided because of my knees. I also have partially flat feet and i must wear insoles.

I sound pretty screwed up physically, but i am a avid hiker and outdoorsman

I also have flat feet and also wear insoles...However I think insoles would be allowed but maybe someone who has been through the experience could enlighten us?  I'm also a runner, hiker, and a sports fanatic (Golf, Hockey, etc...)  Military is going to be my life.  And no stupid feet are gonna stop me. :salute:

George Wallace said:
I find it hard to believe that any vehicle being taught after taking a LSVW Dvr Crse will be simply a Conversion Crse.   Learning to drive a LSVW, does not in anyway resemble or come close to driving a HLVW, TLAV, LAV III, MLVW, Bison, Coyote, or any other vehicle in the CF inventory.

Sounds about right to me... the initial course covers the basics of driving, the rules of the road, defensive driving, night driving, off-roading, maintence, etc etc...

The conversion courses then cover the specifics as related to each vehicle, as the basics, such as the rules of the road, apply no matter what vehicle you're driving (IE you don't suddenly get to drive on the left just because you're driving a Coyote)... how long the conversion takes depends on the vehicle... a conversion course to drive a milcot takes a day, to drive an HL takes two weeks if I recall correctly...

A conversion course doesn't "convert" you from just knowing generally how to drive to being a specific type of vehicle driver.  It converts you from being qualified on a certain vehicle to the vehicle that either replaces it, or is of a similar type.  For example, if you were qualified on the 5 1/4, you could be converted to the LSVW, or ILTIS to LUVW, as they were replacements.  You could also be converted to BISON if you were qualified AVGP, since the vehicles are mostly identical.  However, you cannot be converted from BISON to LAV because as anyone who's ever been inside the drivers compartment on both vehicles can tell you, the similarities end after the 8 wheels.  Anyhow, the term "conversion" gets thrown around alot, but a formal driver wheeled or BDT type of course is still required then specific courses for each vehicle like HL, AVGP, LAV, (LOSV???) are done.  Sorry for the rant, just venting about a pet peeve of mine since I deal on a daily basis with new troops that can't drive any vehicle in the compound...

I've already applied for the Army Reserves in my area, and am gonna be either a reserve MP or reserve Infantryman. However I am also considering getting into the Regular Force Infantry. Right now I can do about 30 situps in a minute, and 55 pushups if I really push myself, I was also able to do the 2.4km run in 9:30. Can anybody tell me any of the key differences between the Infantry reserves and the Infantry course fulltime. As well as what I could expect if going fulltime with the infantry?

Thanks for the responses.

Back