• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some pilot related questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

estoguy

Inactive
Reaction score
When I reapplied this year, I saw on the Forces website that they are accepting pilot applications, which I jumped at, since it was my boyhood dream to be one.

Some questions after reading Max's sticky'ed thread:

From what I gather on the website, they stream pilots into the different areas (fighter, transport, maritime, helicopter), correct?  Do you only get trained in the one area, or could you wind up flying in a combination?  How do they determine what you will fly if accepted?

Thanks a lot!

estoguy said:
  Do you only get trained in the one area, or could you wind up flying in a combination? 

You might, in the span of a career, fly in more than one "stream" but not at the same time (with the possible exception of the testing world).

CDN Aviator said:
You might, in the span of a career, fly in more than one "stream" but not at the same time (with the possible exception of the testing world).

This.

Furthermore, while not "rare", it happens less often than a pilot staying in a particular stream for their career.  As well, if it happens, it is usually a permament transition from one stream to another...not a "hopping" back and forth.

Regards
G2G

And there goes my vision of the debonair pilot landing a C-17, hopping into a armed Griffon on his/her way to blast the bad guys so he could get access to his fighter jet that he loaded missles single handedly while fighting off the intruders......awh...... :crybaby:

estoguy said:
they stream pilots into the different areas (fighter, transport, maritime, helicopter), correct?

The streams are Fast-Jet, Multi-Engine, and Rotary.

Zoomie said:
C-17, Airbus, Challenger, E-3B

And they are all in the "multi-engine" stream. So, what is there in this "fast-jet" stream other than fighters.....i believe that is what SF2 was getting at

CDN Aviator said:
So, what is there in this "fast-jet" stream other than fighters.....
CF-188A/B, CT-114, CT-156, CT-155

CDN Aviator said:
Ok..i know you went from props to jets and thus completely confused about whats what.......... ;D

Cue the "centerline-thrust" arguments...  ;)

Turbo-props, turbo-fan, turbo-jet - it is all relative.  It's more to do with who is the respective Career Manager - we have three.

Good2Golf said:
Cue the "centerline-thrust" arguments...  ;)

Yeah, but picking on Zoomie is much more fun. Besides, if all it takes is centerline thrust to make it "fast jet".....that's just sad. I'll have tell my buddy who flies PC-12....    :)

CDN Aviator said:
, if all it takes is centerline thrust to make it "fast jet".....
FWIW we don't really call it "fast jet".

Also - thrust is produced by turbo-fan and turbo-jet motors. Power is produced by turbo-prop and other propellor driven aircraft. Hence the term Power Levers vs Thrust Levers (instead of just plain old throttles)

my head hurts - going back to stand on my beach ball.

Thanks for the replies, guys... and the laughs from GAP... shattered my illusions too!  ;)

Appreciate your time!  :salute:

SupersonicMax said:
The Hornet is not centerline trust, FWIW.

Unless it's a classified number of course, what yaw rate will you get from one engine in burner and the other at idle?

Actually, let me restate my question: "What is the manufacturer's published VMC for the F/A-18/CF188 regarding an inoperative engine?"

Perhaps being a quick thinker as one assumes all fighter pilots to be, you might have an inkling as to where this is headed....  :nod:

Regards
G2G

No Vmc per say, but AoA. 10 to 12 degrees depending on flaps config with full A/B.  It equates to about 8-10 knots slower than without using A/B. (15 to 17 degrees without AB).  With a heavy jet, it's quite significant.

I invite you to Bagotville for a demonstration anytime you want.

Yaw rate with Max/Idle split, not sure.  Less than 40 degrees per second is really all I can really tell you. It takes quite a bit of rudder to counter.  I'd have to take a look at the data from our tapes... 

SF2 said:
my head hurts - going back to stand on my beach ball.

Welcome to the Air Farce!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back