• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sonar Tech, worth my time?

jacxy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been window shopping the CF for a few months, and am currently looking at the above trade.  Also, I am interested in the subsurface navy.

Anyone with experience in either of the aforementioned specialties care to sew some pearls of wisdom?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Any trade is worth it, because it benefits the navy. What you should be looking for is aspects of trades that interest you.

Get into the NETTP.  I am in the METTP here in St. John's.  Great program and oppurtunity in the Navy.  We take classes at the Marine Institute and live in shared apartments for 88$ a month.  This is a great way to get into the navy and you are an acting leading seaman in 2 yrs!

My only suggestion would be to get a trade that can be transferred to civilian life.And don't take the "related civilian employment" at the recruitment center as gospel.Look around and find a trade that is easy to translate to another life.Not everyone survives a 25 year military career,plus its always nice to have a plan B.

Does this trade apply to the outside world?Has me curious.

X-mo-1979 said:
Does this trade apply to the outside world?Has me curious.

Sure does.  Any of the NE Tech trades at a QL5 level make you eligible for certification with TechNova as a Certified Engineering Technician (C.Tech).  If you enrol via the NCM-SEP program (not just in St.John's), you'll have a college diploma to go along with the C.Tech designation.

Of course, with this WET nonsense that's supposedly being implemented, all that may change.

Occam put the spot on it.

The NET/NWT trades are in the process of a re-alignment. So none of the trades as they are presently consituted may exist in three or four years. But what may or may not happen in the next while should not have a bearing on what you decide to do. If anything gets drummed into you in this outfit, it is that you cannot make a choice today based on five years from now. Everything is too fluid.

That being said, I have had no complaints with regards the trade I picked almost 19 years ago. Keep in mind that us ping techs don't just do sonars. We also have all of the navigation systems as well as being trained on the command and control system. On a sub, the 283s are probably the most prominent of the Combat Systems trades sinces subs obviously depend alot more on the sonars than a frigate or destroyer.

Trade progression has been pretty good the last 10 plus years, mostly due to our small numbers (250 or so forces wide, all ranks) and the fact that we have not been at our allowed manning levels for most of the period.

Thank you guys.Very interesting trade indeed.What is the min enrollment time frame for service for new guys coming in?Free education and a trade when you release, wish I had a head on my shoulders when I was 17 and looked around at trades.

I'm not even qualified security guard...which the recruitment poster said I would be. ;D

I say go for it!

Another thing I wish to mention to you to think about.Are there reserve units in your area that has the same occupation.That way if you do decide to get out you could transfer reserves for extra money while you seek other employment,or for a second job when you retire.

Again in my job I cannot transfer to the reserves as my trade does not exist in my home province.

X-mo-1979 said:
Are there reserve units in your area that has the same occupation.That way if you do decide to get out you could transfer reserves for extra money while you seek other employment,or for a second job when you retire.

Most of the RegF Navy Operator and Tech trades are not available in NavRes. Most often what happens with those trades is a RegF person will retire to the SHR and join a local Naval Reserve Division (NRD) or take a NavRes tasking (ie: instruct at NRTD or Fleet School) for a maximum six months. This is renewable on NRHQ's approval every six months or until the sailor decides to transfer to the PRes under one of the existing MOS within NavRes.

There is only a limited number of NavRes MOS IDs compared to the RegF Navy:
MARS
Int
LogO
PFAO
Padre
Bosn
MESO
NCI Op
Nav Comm
Cook
RMS
Supply
Band

I'm a sonar tech in halifax.  i dont quite understand the question, " worth your time?"  Are you asking if anyone who is a sonar tech enjoys being one?  pm me if you have specific questions and i will do my best to answer them, that or just be more specific here.

I'm a Sonar Techie in Halifax as well.

I've been doing it for 17+ years.

Worth it?  Oh yeah.  I'd do it the same way again if I could. 

I'm an instructor up at the school right now, but have spent about 11 years in the fleet, and those 11 years span 5 ships, and about 35 different countries. 

Like Pud says, if you want to know more, feel free to either PM or ask here if you have any specific questions.

NS

I Applied for this trade, im very satisfied with the information i've been given but i want to know how often are you at sea. Im almost 20 and i just want a sence of how often i could possibly be away? And do alot of you have have familys/ is it hard on them? ( Both my parents are in but thier tours and field time havent been like most of thier careers or in the Navy)

As you noted, time away from family is a fact of life with the military and everyone’s experience/time away will be different for a variety of reasons. This applies to anyone who is Navy, Army or Air Force.

Your time at sea will vary too much to be able to give you a number of days or months. It depends on things like, your own career progression, which ship you are posted to, the fleet sailing schedule and the other needs of the service.

A quick search of the site for “sea time”  brought up a number of threads that already answered this question:

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/33864.0.html

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/33559.0.html

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/70962.0.html

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/81655.15.html

If you want to go NET(S) then I would suggest you move now. You have to have all your processing done and your application to the Marine Institute so you can report to CFNES St. John's in November for your indoc. If you are in the Toronto area RCC has as program that is acceptable. Contact your nearest CFRC for more info on NCTTP AKA NCMSEP. Like I said do it now!!!

FDO said:
If you want to go NET(S) then I would suggest you move now. You have to have all your processing done and your application to the Marine Institute so you can report to CFNES St. John's in November for your indoc. If you are in the Toronto area RCC has as program that is acceptable. Contact your nearest CFRC for more info on NCTTP AKA NCMSEP. Like I said do it now!!!

That's assuming the poster wants to go the NCM-SEP route.  He/she can enroll at anytime (vacancies permitting, of course - but that's unlikely to be a problem) to go through the CFNES Halifax QL3 Apprentice training.

I only mentioned NCMSEP because it was mentioned in an earlier post. Of course if they take the first part of my advice and talk to a recruiter then you'll they'll get info on the unskilled entry plan as well as SEP.

Back