• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sound off: What are you doing right now? Aside from the obvious being on here..

Just waiting to see the Quack of a MO (known as Ilsa from Buchenwald) about med restrictions for my knee.

The current MO we have is a retard. All try to avoid her, and thats a sad affair.

Apart from checking out 'yummies' at the local pool, currently I'm fighting alititude sickness at 3820 m at Lake Titicaca in Peru. 

JABAC said:
Apart from checking out 'yummies' at the local pool, currently I'm fighting alititude sickness at 3820 m at Lake Titicaca in Peru.

:D

Any landscape picture ?

Not yet.  I'll have some pics once I get back to Canada.

Planning what's happening out for tomorrow. 
Cpl Starker arrives in Trenton at 2pm Fri, May 9, 2008.  So, that means he will passing under the Victoria Park overpass around 4:30pm. Last time there was quite a few EMS, I'm sure this time there will be even more this time.
For anyone in the area, who would like to join us out there, I'm leaving the Dennison building at about 3:30-4pm if you would like to catch a ride. It is not fun, but is certainly an honour and should not be missed :'( 

TGIF - this is Australia  ;)

As for me, well its 15 mins to an EKO, so off home up the Bruce Hwy to Bribie Island. Dinner will be shake and bake chicken, and there will be some time in front of the TV.

Nothing unusual, just another day in paradise. I'll sit back and think about the recent casualties both our countries have had in the Ghan. Might have to have a few CCs and ginger.

Painting my bar room tomorrow.

Engineer's Wife,

I'm on the other side of the country, but will be thinking about Cpl Starker at said time.  Say a little prayer for me.

MamaBear, I definitely will. 
It is a very powerful, emotional and a huge honour to be there. I do it because it is the one time the family KNOWS WITHOUT A DOUBT that I am thinking of them and that I appreciate their ultimate sacrifice.  I stand there with my Canadian and Support the Troops flags.  It is not easy, but their trip is much harder than mine, so, I figure it is the least I could do. 
And being the wife of a soldier, I know that there is no difference between me standing on the overpass and the family passing underneath me. 
I will say a prayer for you, Robin

Finally out of the wilds of Manitoba and back in Ontario - for a day and a half.

MM

Sitting in 38 Brigade HQ G3 Tasks on OJT with absolutely nothing to do and instructions from the G3 Tasks Warrant to surf the DIN. Which I am doing. But next week at least I get to go support the adv. SERE course in Springer Lake.

Heading to the Carleron Mess in Gagetown for a Friday beer (or two)... see you there!?

rossco said:
Heading to the Carleron Mess in Gagetown for a Friday beer (or two)... see you there!?

I went to Griffens this evening.  ;D  Seemed to be many Officer types about there tonight too ...

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
MamaBear, I definitely will. 
It is a very powerful, emotional and a huge honour to be there. I do it because it is the one time the family KNOWS WITHOUT A DOUBT that I am thinking of them and that I appreciate their ultimate sacrifice.  I stand there with my Canadian and Support the Troops flags.  It is not easy, but their trip is much harder than mine, so, I figure it is the least I could do. 
And being the wife of a soldier, I know that there is no difference between me standing on the overpass and the family passing underneath me. 
I will say a prayer for you, Robin

Well said, well done.

We got home from the overpass as about 5pm.  Cpl Starker and his family passed under us at about 4:20pm.

On the overpass we all stood and waved our flags. As we are waiting thousands of cars pass underneath us, hundreds and hundreds wave and honk at at. They ALL know why we are there!  As we see the motorcade coming, it takes my breath away.
First one motorcycle, then a few motorcycles, then the express lanes of the 401 empty, then the police cars, then 4-5 hearses and then about 3-4 EMS vehicles.  All of their lights are flashing and then it's all done.  Over in about 20-30 seconds, we turn around as they pass under us and watch as they head west.  I can now breath.  And I try and hold back my tears.

I have born children and I have been married the love of my life, which are life changing moments.  Going to the overpass is also a very profound moment for me, everytime I go it weighs heavy on my heart, but I would not have it any other way. 

And as many civilians come up and shake my husband's hand, who is in uniform, and say thank you, I know we are all in this together.

Like I said before, my journey there does not compare in any way shape or form to that of the family passing underneath me. 
The only difference between them and me is they have had to make this journey and I have not. 

But I just want them to know that I will not forget and I appreciate their sacrifice. 
I AM EXTREMELY PROUD TO BE CANADIAN!  :cdn: Robin

AGAIN, well said, well done. Wish I had been there. Don't ever doubt that your presence did not matter.  As you well know, soldiers do what they do, because that is what they do..........  (by soldier, I mean every servicemember, army, navy, airforce).... They do not do it for glory, but because it is the right thing to do. Others may not agree, but they do not have the purity of heart to put their lives on the line for what they believe in.

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
We got home from the overpass as about 5pm.  Cpl Starker and his family passed under us at about 4:20pm.

On the overpass we all stood and waved our flags. As we are waiting thousands of cars pass underneath us, hundreds and hundreds wave and honk at at. They ALL know why we are there!  As we see the motorcade coming, it takes my breath away.
First one motorcycle, then a few motorcycles, then the express lanes of the 401 empty, then the police cars, then 4-5 hearses and then about 3-4 EMS vehicles.  All of their lights are flashing and then it's all done.   Over in about 20-30 seconds, we turn around as they pass under us and watch as they head west.  I can now breath.  And I try and hold back my tears.

I have born children and I have been married the love of my life, which are life changing moments.  Going to the overpass is also a very profound moment for me, everytime I go it weighs heavy on my heart, but I would not have it any other way. 

And as many civilians come up and shake my husband's hand, who is in uniform, and say thank you, I know we are all in this together.

Like I said before, my journey there does not compare in any way shape or form to that of the family passing underneath me. 
The only difference between them and me is they have had to make this journey and I have not. 

But I just want them to know that I will not forget and I appreciate their sacrifice. 
I AM EXTREMELY PROUD TO BE CANADIAN!  :cdn: Robin

There aint nothing wrong with being a patriot EW. Personally, I would find just watching on that overpass too traumatising for me, and afterwards I'd be swimming in a bottle of JD for the day/night and/or weekend.

I guess one small way my time in theatre and this war has changed me. It used to be on Remberance Day, I thought of the sacrifice of generations past, and a few men I knew who died while serving during peacetime.  This now has been overtaken and surpassed by todays sacrifices from todays generation, of many who are old enough to be my sons.

Again I will sum up by saying there is no glory in death, dying or killing.

One day this war is going to end, but before that, there will be more cars in a procession passing under that overpass. One occurance is too many as far as I am concerned.

On ANZAC Day on the 25th of April, during the 2 mins silence, I was bombarded by intense memories of my time in Iraq, viewed in my mind as literally a clear video slideshow presentation, moving from one memory to another with the purest of clarity, along with memories of going on 33 yrs of service in two different countries. The JD and beer that flowed that night was deserved.

Wes, I can appreciate that for some, such as yourself, that going to the overpass might be too much. 

Your experiences in life have been far different than mine. 
Having grown up in Canada and not military I never experienced anything close to war. I think that war is a profound and life changing for all involved, whether you live through it because it's in your homeland or because you are a soldier in that war.  And being the soldier in that war, even though you join the military knowing you could go to war, you will have never meet a soldier that wanted to be at war.  Peace is always what all of us want. 
But, I am glad that there are men and women such as yourself, Cpl Starker, my husband and other men and women that step up to do the right thing. 
I appreciate their and your sacrifice, and everyone involved sacrifices something different, some with their lives, some with their bodies and some with their minds. But it is all a sacrifice.  Thank you, Robin

Right now;

- Watching the Wings/Stars game
- Feeling sick
- STILL looking at courses at MUN
- Wishing tomorrow wasn't Sunday

Baker

Just got back from my middle daughter's wedding shower.  It will soon be 2 down and 1 to go.... and the 1 to go is the military girl!  Thank goodness she has a boyfriend back home because I bet it would be easy for her to find a suitable prospect among all the handsome men in the CF.

Back