• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Commissioning Plan ( SCP )

BMQ candidates are not assessed as leaders.  BMOQ are.  Small detail but huge difference.

I went from NCM to officer and was in St Jean this past summer. I was bypassed the first part of BMOQ and had to go for the second half because I did not complete a PLQ. The second half  (8 weeks) was mostly focused on the field, battle procedure and leadership. If you completed SQ, you will already be familiar with a lot of the topics.

Socialbutterfly said:
I went from NCM to officer and was in St Jean this past summer. I was bypassed the first part of BMOQ and had to go for the second half because I did not complete a PLQ. The second half  (8 weeks) was mostly focused on the field, battle procedure and leadership. If you completed SQ, you will already be familiar with a lot of the topics.

There you go. Those last eight weeks the important ones for guys coming from the ranks. OP, be prepared to be a little behind the curve because although the first 8 weeks are basically BMQ, they do start with the leadership stuff a bit from the start. It is very doable though.

Hey guys, first time on this forum so go easy on me.  I have been considering joining the Canadian Forces for a long time, and have a strong family background in the military.  I am interested in applying for Infantry as an NCM in either PPCLI or RCR.  I have graduated college with a diploma in police foundations and I am graduating university this year in Criminology.  Before University I applied for ROTP infantry however I failed my vision test.  Before graduating I will be getting laser eye surgery so I am eligible to join the infantry. 

From all the stories I have heard and the people I talked to, I believe that before becoming an Infantry Officer, it would be beneficial to do some service as an NCM.  That way I will have more experience and knowledge before I start leading people.  I intend to serve as an NCM for however many years then decide if I want to stay NCM, or get commissioned to an officer.

So anyways, my questions to those that are experienced with this is, how realistic are my goals?  Is it as simple as applying for SPC once im QL3 or is there a lot more to it?  Generally how many years does it take to get a SPC and how competitive is it? Do i have a decent chance of getting a SPC after 3-5 years or is it very hard and takes longer? 

Is this a recommended route or would you guys recommend something else?  Will this route significantly slow down climbing the ranks of an officer?

If you guys could help with this that would be greatly appreciated!

There are multiple ways to become an officer from a related NCM occupation.  Google UTPNCM, CFR, and SRCP.  That's probably in order of preference if you intend to have a long career as an officer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that UTPNCM and CFR was for those that do not have a university degree prior to enlisting in the army.  Seeing as how I will have a degree prior to enlisting, wouldn't SPC be the best commissioning plan for me?

Coxy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that UTPNCM and CFR was for those that do not have a university degree prior to enlisting in the army.  Seeing as how I will have a degree prior to enlisting, wouldn't SPC be the best commissioning plan for me?

SCP only applies to currently serving members.  If you already have a post secondary degree and want to be an Officer, you would have to apply DEO.

Yes i know that SPC is for currently serving members, I want to serve as an NCM before becoming commissioned. So i would not be doing direct entry officer.  I also understand the basic requirements for SPC but was looking for more information how its actually used in practice.  If someone could actually read my post and provide some knowledgeable information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Coxy said:
Yes i know that SPC is for currently serving members, I want to serve as an NCM before becoming commissioned. So i would not be doing direct entry officer.  I also understand the basic requirements for SPC but was looking for more information how its actually used in practice.  If someone could actually read my post and provide some knowledgeable information that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sure, you join as an NCM, do your Basic and QL3 training, then get posted to do your actual job.  Do your job well for 3-5 years, show that you have potential for advancement in rank beyond Cpl and don't walk around with the chip on your shoulder that screams "I have a degree and will be an officer through the SCP shortly".

DAA said:
Sure, you join as an NCM, do your Basic and QL3 training, then get posted to do your actual job.  Do your job well for 3-5 years, show that you have potential for advancement in rank beyond Cpl and don't walk around with the chip on your shoulder that screams "I have a degree and will be an officer through the SCP shortly".

Thank you, more advise like this would be appreciated.  So does it usually only take 3-5 years? Or is it very hard to obtain this and could take around 10 years? And would it be better long-term to just do DEO, or is this more beneficial?  Im just wandering if SPC is very achievable and if it is a better route than DEO to become a good leader and someone that knows what they're doing? The last thing I want is to be an officer that doesn't know what he is doing and is trying to lead sgts and WO that are more experienced and knowledgeable.  Also I think I might like the more "hands-on" approach of an NCM in my first several years

You do not need NCM experience to be a good officer; nor are all officers with NCM experience amazing officers; IMO it varies person to person.

Serving 3 years as a NCM doesn't automatically guarantee success as a officer; as will you not have a lot of leadership experience or have a chance for a leadership course(PLQ) in your first 3 years.

Coxy said:
Thank you, more advise like this would be appreciated.  So does it usually only take 3-5 years? Or is it very hard to obtain this and could take around 10 years? And would it be better long-term to just do DEO, or is this more beneficial?  Im just wandering if SPC is very achievable and if it is a better route than DEO to become a good leader and someone that knows what they're doing? The last thing I want is to be an officer that doesn't know what he is doing and is trying to lead sgts and WO that are more experienced and knowledgeable.  Also I think I might like the more "hands-on" approach of an NCM in my first several years

For the most part, Pte's aren't always afforded the opportunity nor are they in a position to display leadership abilities (ie; leading people) in their regular duties.  Nevertheless, there is opportunity to do so through secondary duties, etc and hopefully the CoC recognizes these when an application does come down the line.  SCP is not a common pathway to becoming an officer and I believe that positions and occupations are very limited.

At the end of the day, superior performance and a favourable recommendation from your Chain of Comd is somewhat crucial in achieving such a goal.

-Skeletor- said:
You do not need NCM experience to be a good officer; nor are all officers with NCM experience amazing officers; IMO it varies person to person.

Serving 3 years as a NCM doesn't automatically guarantee success as a officer; as will you not have a lot of leadership experience or have a chance for a leadership course(PLQ) in your first 3 years.

Yeah I realize its not a guarantee to be a good officer after NCM, but I thought it would be better than going officer with nothing, and having no knowledge or experience.  At least this way I know who I am leading because I have been through it for a little bit.  At least  maybe I would know after a couple years of NCM if I would make a good leadert based on recommendations of my NCOs and COs.  Also, I understand there is more "hands-on" as an NCM and I think I would it enjoy that more for my first several years.  Any additional thoughts on this would be awesome Skeletor, thanks!

Coxy said:
At least  maybe I would know after a couple years of NCM if I would make a good leadert based on recommendations of my NCOs and COs....Any additional thoughts on this would be awesome Skeletor, thanks!

As a officer you can still learn from your NCOs and fellow officers.  Royal Drew, and Technoviking (I'm sure there are others as well) have posted some good information regarding Infantry Officers in the forum, I'd recommend going through their post history.

As well,  don't be like the officer in the attached photo/comic.

Alright thanks Skeletor I will look into that! If anyone else has input, that would also be greatly appreciated! I guess another thing is that I thought the NCM life might be more enjoyable for the first few years because youre one of the "guys" where as an officer you're more detached as you're their leader.  But you guys would know best

dapaterson said:
http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/adm/pdp-pps/cp-pac-eng.asp

How's this apply to reservists? i.e. I know of reserve Cpls who have CFR'd, yet the CFAO says you need at least 10 years experience and be a Sgt for CFR.

Message is out, see CANFORGEN 137/13 for details.

Anyone have any ideas why Pilot never seems to be open for competition under SCP ? In recent years it's been open under UTPNCM, but not SCP. With the trade still being red and with active DEO recruitment, it doesn't seem to line up. AERE and AEC seem to be open each year under CFR, SCP and UTPNCM but nothing for Pilot under SCP.

I was wondering what officer trades are available this year/or usually are offered through the SCP program?

Back