• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Commissioning Plan ( SCP )

Newguy1 said:
I was wondering what officer trades are available this year/or usually are offered through the SCP program?

See CANFORGEN 173/13 for details and the program is done for the year.  Not to mention, SCP is an "internal" program, available only to currently serving members of the CF.

DAA said:
See CANFORGEN 173/13 for details and the program is done for the year.  Not to mention, SCP is an "internal" program, available only to currently serving members of the CF.

What DAA said, get in get trained then worry about stuff like this.  This beyond recruiting.

locked.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I can get some advice here at this forum regarding Special Commissioning Plan.

I attended RMC but due to credit deficiency, I could not get my commission.  But I am granted a degree from RMC.
I still love the military and want to still be part of the CF so I decided to COT LOG to NCM trades. (RMS clerk, Sup Tech and Med. Tech)
Not that this is my pressing goal to get commissioned right away, I just want to see my options for the future.

So, I already have my degree and if I was to go officer later on how does this work?

startagain said:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I can get some advice here at this forum regarding Special Commissioning Plan.

I attended RMC but due to credit deficiency, I could not get my commission.  But I am granted a degree from RMC.
I still love the military and want to still be part of the CF so I decided to COT LOG to NCM trades. (RMS clerk, Sup Tech and Med. Tech)
Not that this is my pressing goal to get commissioned right away, I just want to see my options for the future.

So, I already have my degree and if I was to go officer later on how does this work?

Sounds like you attended RMC, received poor academic guidance, then graduated with a "general" undergrad degree that was NOT compatible with your chosen occupation.

Your not the first one this has happened to......      :facepalm:

Now the bad news.  You won't be able to apply for SCP later on down the road, unless you obtain the proper "major" and have the academic qualifications for whatever occupation you may wish to choose at a later date.  Without the "proper" undergrad degree, you still wouldn't qualify for Log O through the SCP program.

I'm surpirsed that RMC just didn't run you through another semester to obtain the requisite courses.

Yeah, that is exactly what happened- unfortunately.
To receive my "major" (Economics) degree I am 2 credits short at RMC, so I am already signed up to do those course
through distance learning on the upcoming academic year.
So I should have an appropriate degree soon enough.

I heard there are some pre-req that are needed for SCP you need ql3 and be a Cpl/LS? - is that correct?

You're looking for CFAO 9-70: Special Commissioning Plan:

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
3. To be eligible for the SCP an applicant must meet the following
requirements by 1 Jul of the year in which the selection board is convened:

a. Citizenship. An applicant must be a Canadian citizen or, if a landed
      immigrant, meet the requirements of serial 1 of Annex A to CFAO 6-1;

b. Period of Remaining Service. Superseded by ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 14/04

c. Military Qualification Level. An applicant must have achieved a
      minimum qualification level (QL) 3;

d. Medical Standards. An applicant must meet the minimum medical
      standards in accordance with CFAO 34-30, Medical Standards for the
      Canadian Forces, for the MOC(s) for which application is made. The
      applicant's medical profile must be awarded or confirmed within the
      12 month period immediately prior to the competition closing date; and

e. Academic Standards. An applicant must possess a baccalaureate degree,
      or in some cases a technology diploma, that satisfies the criteria
      specified in Annex A to CFAO 6-1, or, alternatively, in Annex A to
      CFAO 9-12, Regular Officer Training Plan.

I have a little bit of update on my situation and I was wondering if can ask for more advice.

I have spoken with the Log branch Integrator in Ottawa and my BA is not the problem that is
making not eligible for my trade- because when I joined the forces the ES for Log was acceptable for any BA degree. Its actually my CFAT score.

The fact when I switched from my Major degree to the general BA now, due to a change in the Log ES now,
of the CFAT that I wrote is not within the standard that it is now. That is the reason I cannot be retained in my occupation - I have already written the CFAT twice before high school when I first applied for RMC.

And, I just got my commissioning msg sent to me by my CoC... this is very confusing…
Any advice would be appreciated.

In addition to my previous post:

I am asking to be retained in my original occupation that I started with, so if I am grandfathered in regards
to what degree I can have when I joined, shouldn't I be grandfathered on my CFAT score as well?

Because my entry plan states that I am subsidized under ROTP will be commissioned as a Log upon completion of just a BA.

As far as the "undergrad degree" requirements, yes, you should be "grandfathered" based on your original enrolment date.  So if the academic standards did change after you started at RMC, then they shouldn't necessarily apply to you or anyone else that was already enrolled.

As far as the CFAT scores are concerned, I'd have to look closer into this.  I am not sure just how much the requirement changed, if it changed at all but this should not be a barrier, provided you did meet the minimum requirements for the occupation at the time of enrolment.  So technically, they could grant you a CFAT waiver given the circumstances.

If you are now being told that your CFAT scores do not meet the minimum requirements for your occupation, then chances are you didn't meet the minimum at the time of enrolment and someone may have missed that.    :facepalm:

Well as far as I am being told by the BPSO in kingston is that the LOG ES now for the CFAT is within the 30th percentile
and my CFAT that I wrote when I originally applied does not reach the standard. Therefore I cannot be an Officer at this time.

I argued that I am asked to retain in my original trade and under the conditions that I joined. I understand that I "changed" the type of BA that I have.
Nevertheless, it is IAW the entry plan that I enrolled with. Therefore, logically in my head it makes sense that I should be commissioned. - Ottawa seems to think so
because I got a Commissioning Msg. 

Before all of this I had a redress (NOI) ready to go but it got rejected before it got to the CO on the basis that I have no grounds for a grievance because everything
was on par to the policy- I asked for these specific policies and they were not provided to me.

startagain said:
Before all of this I had a redress (NOI) ready to go but it got rejected before it got to the CO on the basis that I have no grounds for a grievance because everything
was on par to the policy- I asked for these specific policies and they were not provided to me.

:facepalm: What do you mean "it got rejected"?  There is absolutely no right for anyone to gatekeep a grievance when a member has submitted one to the CO.

There has got to be more to this story. I find it hard to believe that someone who scored high enough to get admitted into RMC in the first place did not have a high enough CFAT score to be Logistics. Did you have supplementals to right this semester? Or did you fail two course this year that you couldn't make up, so they just granted you a general degree? Not allowing a cadet to commission with his peers on parade is a decision they don't take lightly, so there must be other factors at play.

As a minimum, I would think they would have let you (forced you) to do your oblig service as a OCDT until you met the standards or OT's into another officer trade.

I had a rough second year with academics which caused me to write 3 Supplementary exams of which I passed and recieved credits for.
I used my last sup exam for a elective that I didn't pass in the first semester of fourth year - but was not sucessful which led to this credit definency. Originally becuase this course was an elective my graduation advisors told me that I was still on track to graduate. I just had to pick up a different elective. -However this became misleading information. So I appealed to the Academic Board at RMC and they agreed that there was a disrepency with my academic file therefore, becuase I already had so many credits they gave me the choice of this general BA vs. no degree in the first place.

The BPSO working with RMC here said that I am not eligible to be an officer with my CFAT score.
I spoke with the log branch integator and according to them, they do not have a problem with my BA, I fall under the grandfathering clause.
I meet all the req. to be comissioned but can't becuase there is a policy that becuase there was a change in the type of BA I got, I have to re-apply into LOG. - I am have been looking for this "policy" like crazy.

Hello friends,

I am looking to speak to someone who has gone through the process of applying to the special commissioning plan before. I am a Med Tech with a BSc, BEd and an M.Ed and am looking into becoming a TDO. I have some general questions about the SCP, and some more specific questions related to my personal situation.

Thank you!

mkil said:
I have some general questions about the SCP, and some more specific questions related to my personal situation.

Some SCP Questions and Answers here.

Special Commissioning Plan Questions 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/111459.0

Thank you, I have read that thread before and it left me with some questions still. I guess I will just list them and hope someone can chime in.

1) I know that for CFR, an NCM must be nominated for the program. Is this the case for SCP? SCP is open to all QL3 qualified individuals. Considering that some trades are QL3 qualified by the time they have 6 months in the CF, it would seem that being nominated is not part of the program.

2) what is the application like? Apart from the standard interview, are there other components such as reference letters, etc.?

3) Is the SCP application for one trade only, or are you allowed to list alternate choices (as on the initial CF application)

4) Is SCP similar to other boards: ie, more points for being bilingual, time in, CFAT, courses etc.?

5)  I am told that SCP posting messages come out every January should you be selected. Does this mean physically posted to another base to await training, or being given the rank of OCdt and posted to a different position at your present base? My husband is also in the CF and I would not want his career to go to the wayside in the event that my SCP application is successful.

6) I realize that no one can tell me my "chances" based on a list of credentials, but is it often that SCP accepts Ptes for commissioning? I realize that my education background is a little rare for a Pte - but that is in and of itself a very long story.

7) What are some things that I could be doing now to prepare myself for the application when the CANFORGEN comes out in August.

I am sure I will have more questions. I appreciate advice from any and all, NCM or officer.

Thanks.

mkil said:
Thank you, I have read that thread before and it left me with some questions still. I guess I will just list them and hope someone can chime in.

1) I know that for CFR, an NCM must be nominated for the program. Is this the case for SCP? SCP is open to all QL3 qualified individuals. Considering that some trades are QL3 qualified by the time they have 6 months in the CF, it would seem that being nominated is not part of the program.

2) what is the application like? Apart from the standard interview, are there other components such as reference letters, etc.?

3) Is the SCP application for one trade only, or are you allowed to list alternate choices (as on the initial CF application)

4) Is SCP similar to other boards: ie, more points for being bilingual, time in, CFAT, courses etc.?

5)  I am told that SCP posting messages come out every January should you be selected. Does this mean physically posted to another base to await training, or being given the rank of OCdt and posted to a different position at your present base? My husband is also in the CF and I would not want his career to go to the wayside in the event that my SCP application is successful.

6) I realize that no one can tell me my "chances" based on a list of credentials, but is it often that SCP accepts Ptes for commissioning? I realize that my education background is a little rare for a Pte - but that is in and of itself a very long story.

7) What are some things that I could be doing now to prepare myself for the application when the CANFORGEN comes out in August.

I am sure I will have more questions. I appreciate advice from any and all, NCM or officer.

Thanks.

1. SCP does not require nomination by your CoC (that's CFR). If you are QL3 qualified and hold a degree that's specified for the trade you are interested in then you are eligible to apply. All the requirements are spelled out in the CANFORGEN released each year for the competition.

2. There are different sections to the application form, including commentary by your CO on your leadership potential.

3. You can specify different choices as long as you meet the educational requirements for that trade.

4. Yes, it all counts toward your final score (especially anything related to leadership, formal or otherwise).

5. Depends on the Officer trade and where you need to go for training. You're unlikely to get a full cost posting until you are trade qualified in your new trade (although not impossible).

6. I doubt anyone can really tell you what your chances are. You have a lot of education for a Pte, but NCMs with degrees is also more and more commonplace these days. On the one hand TDO probably doesn't receive a lot of applications under SCP, on the other they take very few (on this year's SIP there was only one position listed for TDO under UTPNCM and zero for SCP. Don't let this stop you however. Inquire with your PSO regardless, the CF may be more interested in taking a TDO under SCP vs. UTP $$$).

7. Ensure you have a current medical, PT test. Make it easy for your CoC to evaluate your leadership potential on paper (PDR,LOA). Interface with your BPSO, you don't have to wait for the CANFORGEN to inquire about the process.

Good luck !

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone who has applied through the SPC rout has heard about acceptances yet???

Back