• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Commissioning Plan ( SCP )

I am wondering if any one who has applied through the Spec. Commissioning Plan (SPC) program for Fiscal Year 14/15 has received their acceptance? It is now April, and messages should start rolling out. Anyone receive word?

Aren't you the impatient one, even in this era of instant gratification?

Are you going to ask every three hours?

Relax. Breathe. Think about fluffy kittens and frolicking bunnies.

Loachman said:
Aren't you the impatient one, even in this era of instant gratification?

Are you going to ask every three hours?

Relax. Breathe. Think about fluffy kittens and frolicking bunnies.

Sounds to me like he's already waited a year. I know this is the norm, but still, a year is a long time for a selection process.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Sounds to me like he's already waited a year. I know this is the norm, but still, a year is a long time for a selection process.

Others have waited two or three years to get into one of the Entry Programs, so not that unusual.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
Maybe you should check out the posters names?
Jayrcaf has a total of 2 posts both within 3 hrs of each other.
Don't know where you getting "he's already waited a year" when he just became a member today?

jayrcaf said:
I am wondering if any one who has applied through the Spec. Commissioning Plan (SPC) program for Fiscal Year 14/15 has received their acceptance? It is now April, and messages should start rolling out. Anyone receive word?

SCP Offers are generally made in Jan or early Feb at the "latest".  According to the CANFORGEN (137/14) DMCPG will not entertain queries on outstanding files until May.

X Royal said:
Maybe you should check out the posters names?
Jayrcaf has a total of 2 posts both within 3 hrs of each other.
Don't know where you getting "he's already waited a year" when he just became a member today?

Its based on the SCP applications being due for submission in the summer (ie may/june 2014) and it almost being May 2015. If the guy had submitted an application, it would be almost a year now.

See CANFORGEN 144/15 CMP 065/15 281738Z JUL 15.

The following occupations are listed: 00178 ARMD, 00179 ARTY , 00180 INF, 00181 ENGR , 00182 ACSO, 00183 PLT , 00184 AEC , 00185 AERE , 00187 EME , 00189 CONST ENGR , 00192 HCA , 00203 PAO , 00207 MARS , 00208 PSEL , 00211 TRG DEV , 00213 INT , 00014 MPO , 00328 LOG , 00340 CELE AIR , 00341 SIGS , 00344 NCS ENG , 00345 MS ENG

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong spot but I could not find a better fit.  ???  So please move as required . . . thanks 

Good morning,

Just to let those interested know that new DAODs have been released on the Commissioning from the Ranks Plan (CFRP) - DAOD 5002-10, and the Special Commissioning Plan (SCP) - DAOD 5002-11. This has effectively cancelled CFAO 11-9 and Annex C to CFAO 49-10. 

Of interesting note both DAODs are reflective of Regular Force members and Reserve Force members.  In particular SCP now exists for Reserve Force members.

Cheers

Andraste   

Andraste said:
In particular SCP now exists for Reserve Force members.

Cheers

Andraste 

That could be useful considering the large percentage of degree holding NCMs in the reserve.

Taking a look through that; does anyone know where one could find the Strategic Intake Plan that is to be produced annually by DPGR?

Edit to add: never mind, found it in another thread.

dapaterson said:
Information on the planned intake - called the SIP (for Strategic Intake Plan) is posted to the DPGR site on the DWAN.  They're under CMP.

Look for "Production documents" on the site, and there should be the SIP posted there.

For those who are unaware, the Special Commissioning Plan is a officer entry program for serving NCMs who have already attained the educational requirements for their desired officer trade (ie the have a bachelor's degree).

Being from a large unit, I've seen messages for about 10 members who applied under the SCP program. Keep in mind, this is NCMs, who either entered with a bachelor's degree or attained them while working in the regular force.

That said, of all the messages that I read, only 2 of the 10 received acceptances. I'm no longer in recruiting, but I would think that this is likely far lower than the acceptance level of people off the street into the ROTP program. And these are serving members with at least 3 years of experience, (none of them were under the rank of Cpl in this case), already have a degree (meaning there's no risk of the person failing out of RMC/University), and have a proven track record of good conduct and capable military service.

Granted 10 is a smallish sample size (though the program is among the smallest officer entry programs) but I can't understand the logic of taking large numbers of civilians off the street, pushing them through university (at a cost, and with risk of them not succeeding) and then commissioning them with no real knowledge of how they will perform and conduct themselves in a military environment; and to do this while passing over the chance to promote those within (who have been recommended by their CO, recommended by a BPSO).

It seems to me that they need to review their priorities when it comes to the entry plans in this regard, and yes, I do understand that my view is biased in this issue. 

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
For those who are unaware, the Special Commissioning Plan is a officer entry program for serving NCMs who have already attained the educational requirements for their desired officer trade (ie the have a bachelor's degree).

See also,

Special Commissioning Plan 
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+scp&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=FJZ_V8uoFMeh8wew1ZOgAw&gws_rd=ssl

No knowing all the details, could this also be related to OUTCAP issues for the feeder MOSIDs?  If you're in a distressed MOSID, the number of pers allowed to transfer out through any program (AVOTP, SCP or anything else) will be severely restricted.

dapaterson said:
No knowing all the details, could this also be related to OUTCAP issues for the feeder MOSIDs?  If you're in a distressed MOSID, the number of pers allowed to transfer out through any program (AVOTP, SCP or anything else) will be severely restricted.

From my understanding of the system from talking with the BPSO, red/yellow trades only impact VOTs among NCM trades, the CM have no say over the officer entry programs (which makes sense since he was never consulted on mine, instead I let him know as a heads up before posting season)

If those members did not have PLQ completed, they would basically be like a DEO, having to do BMOQ. I think you'd see a higher success rate with applications from MCpls, as they can skip right to DP1 in most cases.

Intake numbers are allocated and assigned by the OA (Occupational Authority) based on forecasted attrition rates, etc, etc.  Most NCMs who join while already possessing a post secondary education do so because their chances of being offered an Officer Occupation from off the street weren't that great to start with.  Mind you, there are also those who just aren't interested in being an Officer.

The Internal SIP isn't very large and for good reason.  The CF can't put itself in a position where people are shuffled around occupations internally just to satisfy personal needs/wishes/expectations.  This would only serve to create the ever rotating hiring wheel, where occupations will continually be short staffed of qualified/trained members.  For every member who is successful in pursuing an ISS (In Service Selection) Program application, this ends up creating the need for two training vacancies, one for the individuals new occupation and one to replace/reman the occupational position which they just vacated.

DAA said:
Intake numbers are allocated and assigned by the OA (Occupational Authority) based on forecasted attrition rates, etc, etc. 

That is a serious problem for the Reserves.  Regular Force formulas that forecast attrition rates can not be applied successfully to the Reserves.  Reservists have dozens of other criteria to consider when one wants to forecast attrition rates. Graduation from school, university and or college and changes in civilian employment could cause Reservists to have to move away from the geographic location of their unit, or not permit them the hours to attend training.  The departure of members after graduation or for civilian employment to locations distant from the unit is unpredictable.  As part-time/volunteer members, changes to family and social situations have a greater affect on their attendance.  There is a greater number of events in a Reservist's life that could change their ability to volunteer their time and cause them to be NES, than a Regular Force member.  There is NO accurate formula to forecast attrition rates in the Reserves. 
The Reserves have to be able to recruit a minimum of five pers for every position in order to reasonably be expected to maintain their authorized strengths.  Many Reserve units see most of their attrition of their members from among their new applicants who do not complete BMQ or BMQ (L).  This factor, slowly whittles down the unit's effective strength.  A problem not faced to the same extent in the Regular Force.

DAA said:
Intake numbers are allocated and assigned by the OA (Occupational Authority) based on forecasted attrition rates, etc, etc.  Most NCMs who join while already possessing a post secondary education do so because their chances of being offered an Officer Occupation from off the street weren't that great to start with.  Mind you, there are also those who just aren't interested in being an Officer.

The Internal SIP isn't very large and for good reason.  The CF can't put itself in a position where people are shuffled around occupations internally just to satisfy personal needs/wishes/expectations.  This would only serve to create the ever rotating hiring wheel, where occupations will continually be short staffed of qualified/trained members.  For every member who is successful in pursuing an ISS (In Service Selection) Program application, this ends up creating the need for two training vacancies, one for the individuals new occupation and one to replace/reman the occupational position which they just vacated.

I would think it would create only 1 vacancy, the one in the NCM's previous occupation, as the vacancy in the officer trade is then occupied by the former NCM. That said, having a person that can immediately start trade training (or in the case of a Cpl, only requires BMOQ), chances are they would have a fully trained officer and a fully trained NCM (if they recruited a new NCM for their old trade) by the time a ROTP recruit were even half way through their university course.
This is not to mention the value of having an officer with significant real work experience, and not having someone that will try to quit because "I guess the military just isn't for me afterall".

Back