• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Commissioning Plan ( SCP )

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
I would think it would create only 1 vacancy, the one in the NCM's previous occupation, as the vacancy in the officer trade is then occupied by the former NCM. That said, having a person that can immediately start trade training (or in the case of a Cpl, only requires BMOQ), chances are they would have a fully trained officer and a fully trained NCM (if they recruited a new NCM for their old trade) by the time a ROTP recruit were even half way through their university course.
This is not to mention the value of having an officer with significant real work experience, and not having someone that will try to quit because "I guess the military just isn't for me afterall".

I don't think they place much emphasis on the "value" of the prior work experience, as in most cases the individuals have little if any practical leadership experience, mind you they do have the CAF knowledge and should know what to expect during and later on in their careers.  Have a look at the SIP Tables one day and just scan over some of the Officer occupations and their intake allocations (both internal and external).  It's surprising what you will see and it's one of those things that will make you go "Hmmmmm".    ???

Still haven't even heard from Ottawa on the 2016 SCP competition and the new CANFORGEN for the 2017 SCP competition is out.  Not sure what to do at this point...PSO doesn't know anything more other than that Ottawa says messages will be cut shortly....

George Wallace said:
That is a serious problem for the Reserves.  Regular Force formulas that forecast attrition rates can not be applied successfully to the Reserves.  Reservists have dozens of other criteria to consider when one wants to forecast attrition rates. Graduation from school, university and or college and changes in civilian employment could cause Reservists to have to move away from the geographic location of their unit, or not permit them the hours to attend training.  The departure of members after graduation or for civilian employment to locations distant from the unit is unpredictable.  As part-time/volunteer members, changes to family and social situations have a greater affect on their attendance.  There is a greater number of events in a Reservist's life that could change their ability to volunteer their time and cause them to be NES, than a Regular Force member.  There is NO accurate formula to forecast attrition rates in the Reserves. 
The Reserves have to be able to recruit a minimum of five pers for every position in order to reasonably be expected to maintain their authorized strengths.  Many Reserve units see most of their attrition of their members from among their new applicants who do not complete BMQ or BMQ (L).  This factor, slowly whittles down the unit's effective strength.  A problem not faced to the same extent in the Regular Force.

Almost completely agree - part that I don't is the NES.  There is only one factor that makes a mbr NES and that is the mbr.  There is no reason I have ever seen for a mbr to go NES especially these days.  They can pick up a phone,  call the unit and arrange releases or ED&T, units will mail them paperwork to sign and send back.  If they are releasing then everything can be arranged if they make the effort and everyone acts like adults.  For example two case dealt with - a mbr of the unit on ED&T contacted the unit as he was in Africa and was not able to return to Canada on time due to the virus scare.  Arrangements were made to take care of via emails.  At another time a Cpl contacted me to arrange his release and for us to go to his mothers house to collect his kit which we did.  The mbr was calling me from jail as he had been sentenced that morning (no, we were not made aware of the case until after the fact).  If these 2 can do it I question anyone going NES.

NES mbrs have such an impact on units that I really don't understand why so many stall on getting them released.  They impact budgets (based on attendance numbers), SIP (if the posn is filled you can't recruit into it thus a lower SIP), promotions (especially at Sgt and WO level as again no empty posn so you can't promote) and unit function (able to support training, fill tasked positions, even other mbrs obtaining course quals as they cannot get promoted to the rank required for their next course). 

For the SCP I see it as a need to balance out as much as possible to the benefit of the military.  We need the posns allocated to both mbrs already in transferring over and for mbrs off the street rather than just one so we can have the experience to quickly fill holes plus some new blood to bring fresh eyes to matters. 

Good day,

Has anyone had experience commissioning via SCP and seeking clarification WRT effective/seniority dates? Quick backstory - a LS (without PLQ) was successful with the SCP application and appointed NCdt until finishing BMOQ Mod2. BTL is saying that the effective/seniority date of A/SLt is date of graduation of Mod2, not the date reflected on message.

Message reads: INITIAL RANK: APPOINTED NCDT 15 AUG 17. COMMISSIONED IN THE RANK OF A/SLT UPON COMPLETION OF BASIC MILITARY OFFICER QUALIFICATION OR 15 AUG 17 IF GRANTED BMOQ MOD 1 AND MOD 2 EQUIVALENCY. SEN DATE: 15 AUG 17, EPZ DATE TO SLT: IAW COMISSIONING AND PROMOTION POLICY

If this is the case, why isn't the effective/seniority date for SCP similar to that of DEO or UTPNCM (date of enrollment or last semester of classes) if the mbr already has a degree? With an 10-month delay between the message date and Mod2 graduation (due to training availability), mbr would be missing out on nearly a year of seniority and clearly disadvantaged because of the commissioning plan chosen.

Thanks in advance for any insight or references provided.

Are DEOs not commissioned on completion of BMOQ? Since you need to do Mod 2, you are basically following a similar track as any other DEO. The reference you want is listed on your message, there's a DAOD on commissioning and what ranks get given when on what plans.

Keep in mind your selection message and PLAR come from different places. Selection message isn't tracking what courses you'll have to do, so best case scenario was commissioning on 15 Aug 17 if you were granted BMOQ Mods 1 and 2. Since you weren't, commissioning is delayed until you meet that criteria.

PuckChaser said:
Are DEOs not commissioned on completion of BMOQ? Since you need to do Mod 2, you are basically following a similar track as any other DEO. The reference you want is listed on your message, there's a DAOD on commissioning and what ranks get given when on what plans.

Keep in mind your selection message and PLAR come from different places. Selection message isn't tracking what courses you'll have to do, so best case scenario was commissioning on 15 Aug 17 if you were granted BMOQ Mods 1 and 2. Since you weren't, commissioning is delayed until you meet that criteria.

CFAO 11-6 Anx A (9) states that yes, DEOs commission on completion of BMOQ, but their effective/seniority date is date of enrollment (minus LWOP considerations). I'm not questioning the commissioning requirements, but I am questioning the effective/seniority date for SCP. There is no mention of the effective date in DAOD 5002-11 and there is no mention at all of SCP in the CFAOs. There is no clear reference in the message, unfortunately.

SJBeaton said:
CFAO 11-6 Anx A (9) states that yes, DEOs commission on completion of BMOQ, but their effective/seniority date is date of enrollment (minus LWOP considerations). I'm not questioning the commissioning requirements, but I am questioning the effective/seniority date for SCP. There is no mention of the effective date in DAOD 5002-11 and there is no mention at all of SCP in the CFAOs. There is no clear reference in the message, unfortunately.

I commissioned through the SCP. I was a Private before and then I was "promoted" to OCdt 13 July 2015.  That is now my effective date. I had to go and do MOD 2 of BMOQ as an OCdt (joined a course in Oct and ended in Dec I think) and then got promoted to 2Lt right after finishing. My eligibility date for Captain was 13 July 2018 (3 years). Time in as a Pvt doesn't add anything to your seniority through the SCP. Hope this answers your question.

I tried searching for the answer and couldn’t find it. I applied for the SCP last year and went through all the steps. It’s now July and I haven’t heard a yes or a no back. Do you get a message back saying no your application was not accepted?

You should get a message either way.

Check in with your PSO who conducted your interview. They will be able to give you a solid answer.

Back