• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sports Watch for Basic

BlueJ902

Reaction score
Hey all, the mandatory kit list in the JIs requires a sports watch; rugged and waterproof suggested.
I've only ever owned a basic barebones watch so I'm not too knowledgeable on this.

Looking for recommendations that will withstand the rigors of training! Much appreciated!

A simple Timex or Casio digital watch will work well. Just make sure you turn off the hourly chime function.

A simple Timex or Casio digital watch will work well. Just make sure you turn off the hourly chime function.
I'm sure there'd be hell to pay from everyone and anyone if they heard that every hour haha

Just to add don't go all in on an Apple watch or whatever Samsung has. There could be a chance it would be damaged and those things aren't cheap.
Yeah definitely staying away from the more pricey. Going with the mindset that whatever I bring, don't get attached to it, just in case.

Some Casios and others have a feature where the battery charges through light coming in through the face, which is great if you are outside a lot and can leave your watch face exposed, less good if it's raining constantly, in the winter, or stuck inside (like a heavy sea state for a few weeks with upper decks out of bounds for example).

I didn't realize that and when I found out was wishing I had gone with good old ironman; I had one that lasted long enough that the band broke, the bit where the pins for the band broke on one side and generally beat to hell that was still working until I just lost it at some point.

Well unless you are doing extra duties for screwing up, you’ll get to watch sports on TV.

. . . I had one that lasted long enough that the band broke, the bit where the pins for the band broke on one side and generally beat to hell that was still working until I just lost it at some point.

I had a Casio that I bought at the Lahr LX when my regular Seiko crapped out while I was there on a staff visit in the 1980s. It became my day to day watch (especially in the field). I bought another in 1993, again at the LX, when the strap broke but they didn't have any replacement bands. Both of those watches put on a lot of miles, each had a couple or more of replacement bands. One (I think it was the second one I bought) packed it in around 2015. The one that I bought in the 80s finally gave up the ghost 2 or 3 years ago; 30/35 years of service not too bad for a 50DM ($25) investment.

I had a Casio that I bought at the Lahr LX when my regular Seiko crapped out while I was there on a staff visit in the 1980s. It became my day to day watch (especially in the field). I bought another in 1993, again at the LX, when the strap broke but they didn't have any replacement bands. Both of those watches put on a lot of miles, each had a couple or more of replacement bands. One (I think it was the second one I bought) packed it in around 2015. The one that I bought in the 80s finally gave up the ghost 2 or 3 years ago; 30/35 years of service not too bad for a 50DM ($25) investment.
I've had no complaints with the Casio G-Shock that has gone a good 10 years for me now, other than I missed out it had some kind of solar charging thing on it when I bought it. To be fair, realized afterwards the owners manual that came with it (that I read to figure out how to set the time zones) was actually for a different model that didn't have that feature.

Back