• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stéphane Dion Win's Liberal Leadership Race

Just wondering what you think "ca" in the above stands for?  Are you a resident of Quebec?

No George, Toronto, and believe me I really have to work at keeping my trap shut around here.  ;)

Well, Dion went out and bought some KY so that Chretien could stick the Dark Sith Liberal Overlord's "Commander's Intent" up Dion's backside....niiiice!  ;D

Looking forward to the non-confidence vote in Feb on the budget...hu-ah!

G2G

If the eastern part of the country doesn't burden us with a lib government again, things should be OK.  Look for Dion & co to use the "Bush-lite" and Kyoto hysteria in the coming months, with the budget in Feb being voted down in order to force an election. 

Dion is an academic so if he ever does assume power then look for all sorts of social engineering type of taxes and legislation as well as an unsustainable and horribly expensive child care plan and no doubt a larger mandate for the gun registry.  From the view out west, there would also be a lot of cringing while some sort of NEP redux comes down the pike too.

Despite the election of a new leader, the libs are still the party of decripitude, corruption, and rampant Orwellian political correctness and isn't about to change.  Also, their view of Canada outside Quebec is confined to what can be seen from the top of the Toronto tower on a smog day.  Hopefully eastern Canada will pull its collective head out of its ass next election.

Some ideas to float into the blogosphere and public consiousness:

Stephan Dion did nothing while Canadian carbon emissions increased 30%

Stephan Dion said nothing while the Liberals stole millions of dollars from the taxpayers

Stephan Dion heard nothing when Canadians cried out for protection against crime

Why do we think Stephan Dion will do things differently today?

a_majoor said:
Some ideas to float into the blogosphere and public consiousness:

Stephan Dion did nothing while Canadian carbon emissions increased 30%

Stephan Dion said nothing while the Liberals stole millions of dollars from the taxpayers

Stephan Dion heard nothing when Canadians cried out for protection against crime

Why do we think Stephan Dion will do things differently today?

Because a goldfish has a longer memory than the typical canadian voter?

And Stephane has his first rebellion........He intends to whip the vote on same-sex marriage.

....Dion's indication that the caucus will have to toe the line is no contrast to anything said by the other seven contenders for the Liberal party crown during the leadership convention which ended Saturday with Dion's come-from-behind victory.

All the candidates from perceived frontrunners Michael Ignatieff and Bob Rae to last place finisher Martha Hall Findlay said that they would whip the vote, although candidate Joe Volpe was vague, saying he thought the matter was settled.

But there was dissent on the floor, with one Ontario MP who opposes same-sex marriage saying asking caucus members to vote a certain way on moral issues is a "dumb idea."

"Kick me out of the caucus, go ahead," said Liberal MP John McKay. "If the Liberal leader decides that's a good idea. . . That will be the first issue of which he and I will have a falling out."

Unity.

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=canada_home&articleID=2471950

The Liberals could've voted Jack the Ripper as party leader; Ontario would still vote Liberal.

Comment from Worthy in today's Toronto Sun:

By PETER WORTHINGTON
While taking nothing away from Stephane Dion's remarkable victory, it's difficult not to see Stephen Harper as the real winner.
Of all the main contenders for the leadership of the Liberal party, Dion is probably the one the Conservatives feared the least. From their standpoint, he's a known quantity who made little impact in previous Parliaments and whose environmental portfolio was screwed up with the fiasco of Kyoto, which the Liberals refused to acknowledge was impossible.
That said, the tendency among both Liberals and Conservatives to underestimate Dion is irrefutable -- witness his win at the most exciting Liberal (or Conservative) leadership convention since Pierre Trudeau won all the marbles in 1968.
The difference between '68 and now is that no one (except himself and his fans) took Dion very seriously, while everyone took Trudeau seriously. Dion seems to have few enemies in Parliament and is regarded cordially by all MPs. Trudeau, on the other hand, had no shortage of political foes -- even among Liberals.
In 2006, is wasn't difficult for delegates to back Dion when their own candidate fell.
So why is his victory cause for Tory rejoicing?
Forget his vulnerability as a former minister in both the Chretien and Martin governments. The most difficult job Dion will have in the six months or so leading up to what is likely to be a spring election (after the traditional long winter holiday for MPs) is persuading Canadians that they want another prime minister from Quebec, whose English is so-so.
MADE LITTLE IMPACT
This may be unfair, but it's certainly the feeling in Western Canada, and maybe in Ontario and the Maritimes, too. Persuading Canadian voters that he's not another Trudeau, or Chretien, or Martin may be Dion's biggest challenge -- especially since his years in government made little impact.
Also what must please Harper is the likelihood that the Bloc Quebecois will benefit most from Dion as Liberal leader. His commitment to national unity helps them.
Another thing that bodes well for Harper (if he doesn't screw it up -- always a possibility) is that with a new leader, Liberals may drop in the polls. The leaderless Liberals were more or less steady in opinion polls. Nothing to disagree with because nothing was happening.
Up front will be Canada's military mission in Afghanistan. The previous Liberal government initiated an "activist" role for the army, which the present Conservative government escalated, and made a big fuss about our troops and their combat qualities. This has since evolved into controversy.
Overlooked is that the Canadian-led campaign in the southern Kandahar region over the summer and fall has been a considerable success.
Our guys trounced the enemy. Yes, we had casualties and more deaths than many expected, but we quelled the Taliban and pacified the region -- for the time being.
DONE CANADA PROUD
There will be a resumption of fighting come spring, and there's the constant danger of suicide and car bombings. But our troops have performed beyond expectations with commendable compassion and competence and done Canada proud.
The Van Doos are scheduled to replace the RCR in Afghanistan. That may have tricky consequences, since Quebec isn't as supportive of the military as the rest of Canada.
Dion has said he wants our military in a more supportive role than a combat one, which may sound reasonable but makes no sense.
Harper will likely force him to define that proposal as soon as the niceties of welcoming his leadership are dispensed with.
Anyway, a spring election now seems assured.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Worthington_Peter/2006/12/04/2621323-sun.html

I've watched Stéphane Dion for a while.  I've seen him carry himself with dignity and grace in situation where I believe I would not be as dignified. (Which I am sorry to say, some days is a really low mark)  I've seen this man stand true to his convictions and get vilified in his home community by those who want to break up Canada.  He is politically savvy,  he was one of the many Jean Chrétien supporters who was ousted by Martin, but unlike most of them,  he managed to get back on top.

I have read this thread from the beginning and I got upset that there is a perception that Stéphane Dion would pull out of Afghanistan, outlaw guns, and destroy the economy with hair brained environmental plans.

I would like to point out that it was the Liberals who committed to Afghanistan in the first place and there is good grassroots support for continued operations in the party. Secondly, the Liberals had promised daycare and many other things for 12 years and never delivered.  Why would they suddenly start doing things when doing nothing but of loading onto the provinces keeps them in power. I really didn't like the idea that people would not for him because he is a Quebecor. 

I am from Alberta, I am an accountant and I am also in the reserves and not to over play the point I am more than fairly religious.  You can imagine where I fall on the political spectrum. (yupp slightly left of the NDP on social policy and more fiscally restrictive than the Tories)  I believe that Stephen Harper is a fundamentally well intentioned person.  I believe the same to be true of Stéphane Dion. 

I am sure that the problems in Quebec are not insurmountable for Mr Dion.  The only people who really hate him are the ones who wouldn’t vote for him anyways (separatists).  I Think only the NDP will make Afghanistan an issue and only hard line Tories will care about the Quebec Nation vote (and will simply stay home and not vote in protest) I think the next election will have new issues.

Mr. Dion,  largely responsible for the Clarity act.  That controversial legislation that says referendums have to be worded in a way that makes sense. This is in no small way a firewall around Canada. Stephen Harper co-authored the infamous letter urging Klein to build a firewall around Alberta https://www.albertaresidentsleague.com/letter.htm Which now has taken up its own political life http://www.albertaagenda.ca 

For me the choice is between someone who suffered for his political beliefs, fighting for Canada, defending my country, or for someone who gained politically by giving fodder to separatists.  (And despite claims to the contrary, the Alberta separatists are involved in and supportive of the Alberta agenda movement.  It would make it easier to separate)

And on an aside,  I like that he still speaks English with an accent and wont repeat his comments to reporters in English so they can get their sound bite. I find it cute – although I know his handlers will swiftly break him of that.

probum non poenitet said:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/politics/story.html?id=b476faeb-cd0e-4567-95f2-0c56cb1d6375&k=35236

''You have the Taliban, you have warlords, it is a complex situation. E and we need to work with the other nations to see if we can create a type of Marshall Plan like the one for Europe after the Second World War to be sure that the poppy can be used for licit activities. Otherwise I think it is very very difficult to make progress,'' said Dion.

I am under no illusion that this man doesn't have questions about the mission,  I am sure that he has taken a long and considered evaluation before making a decision.  I honestly believe that when he sees the progress being made and the necessity of the mission he will support it.  Everything I've read quoting him is his objections such as "we can't help out elsewhere" or "we aren't making enough progress".  I don't think he's come out and opposed the Afghan mission as un-winnable and called Canadian troops terrorists... (If I am wrong please show me)

To be fair, this is a selection of quotes woven together in an article.

And we certainly know how often reporters can create an impression far from the reality of what was orginally stated. So until I hear more from Dion, I'll back off somewhat.

But it will be interesting to see Dion's attitude towards Afghanistan, now that he is Leader of the Oppostion, and not a distant leadership hopeful. I am very interested to hear him take a position on Afghanistan in detail.

I have said it before, and I say it again: I hope that politicians can see that some matters are more important than the desire for a few seats, and if they do debate the mission, they do so constructively.

And Stephane has his first rebellion........He intends to whip the vote on same-sex marriage.

Not much of a rebellion as John McKay made similar threats during the previous vote on same-sex marriage.  With any luck once this motion fails we'll never have to reopen this debate again.

I wasn't aware he is also a citizen of France either. Didn't the GG renounce her French citizenship before taking office?

recceguy said:
I wasn't aware he is also a citizen of France either. Didn't the GG renounce her French citizenship before taking office?

I can't find that quote in this thread. Is this a fact?  No mention of it here!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephane_Dion

Google gives a number of hits. I didn't read them all, just a couple. Don't really know if it's true, and it really doesn't matter to me. I won't be voting for him anyway.

Jesus H Christ could have won the leadership of the Lieberal Party,with Mother Teresa as his running mate,I still wouldn't vote for them.

MG34 said:
Jesus H Christ could have won the leadership of the Liberal Party,with Mother Teresa as his running mate,I still wouldn't vote for them.

*avoiding all of the fun jokes I could make here - you better believe they were both witty and pointed*

I think that is something you need to evaluate then.  Being from Alberta the NEP still makes me cringe, I have never voted Liberal ever, but if the Son of God and a Nun who is on the fast track to sainthood were in controll of the Liberals, I'd at least look at their platform.

I've read somewhere on the web (which doesn't make it truth)
that S. Dion has double nationality, , because his mother is French.

My suggestion: don't ask him to forget his French nationality, he may need it,
after the PLC is done with him!

http://www.lactualite.com/article.jsp?content=20061202_173939_5308

I also heard on the radio this morning that he shared a commun ancestor
with Céline Dion, Jean du Buisson Guyon, which came in North america in
1634, which make them  cousin at 10nd degree...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20061205/CPACTUALITES/612050904/0

And it begins:

From todays Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1165272611055&call_pageid=1982316913

Dion `not committed' to Afghan role
Liberal leader likely to press Tories hard about state of mission
Dec. 5, 2006. 01:00 AM
BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA—Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion has told a key caucus member that he's "not committed" to the Conservative decision to keep Canada's troops in Afghanistan for another two years, setting the stage for a renewed debate about Ottawa's role in the troubled country.

Yesterday, Dion expressed his discontent with the mission, saying that trying to "kill the Taliban in every corner of the mountains doesn't work.
"So we will try to propose to the government an approach that makes sense and hopefully will be a role that will be positive in Afghanistan," said Dion, who opposed the Conservatives' spring motion to extend the military mission to 2009.

He reiterated his call for a "Marshall Plan" for Afghanistan, a strategy aimed at boosting the country's economy akin to the efforts to revive war-ravaged Europe and Japan after World War II.

But it's also clear that in Dion, the Conservatives will face a tough critic on the Afghanistan file, a fact made clear during the leadership race, when he said the mission was "poorly designed" and mused about withdrawing troops "with honour."

"He has said to me he is not committed to the mission to 2009 until the mission has a different focus, a different face and a different approach," said Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh, the party's defence critic.

"That doesn't mean we want to withdraw. We may complete the mission until 2009, but there's a huge question mark," Dosanjh said yesterday.

"Is this mission focused properly? Is this the mission we should have? Could we do something better and different and make more difference in Afghanistan?" he said.

Until now, Liberal criticism had been muted by the party's leadership race, with the candidates themselves divided on what Canada's role should be.

Two of Dion's opponents, Michael Ignatieff and Scott Brison, voted in favour of extending the Afghan mission.

As well, interim leader Bill Graham was defence minister in March 2005 when the Liberals, under prime minister Paul Martin, decided to dispatch the military on its more dangerous Kandahar mission.

"He had to tread very carefully," Dosanjh said. But now Dion can take a "fresh look" and Dosanjh suggested people can expect the Liberals to turn up the criticism of a mission that so far has killed 44 Canadian soldiers and a diplomat.

Meanwhile, a contingent of 120 soldiers from Canadian Forces Base Valcartier near Quebec City leaves today for Afghanistan. The soldiers from Quebec's Royal 22nd regiment, better known as the Van Doos, will join their colleagues in Kandahar for a nine-month mission.

A military spokesman says 100 of the solders will join the provincial reconstruction team, which has been in place since Canadian troops first went to Afghanistan.

Again, my spider's sense is twitching.  Back to being "boy scouts" if Dion has his way... ::)

Back