• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Starting out in Armour.........

GregC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone....I‘m handing in my application monday, and as I put Armour down as one of my choices, I was looking for some information on how one‘s career would start in the armoured corps:

1. After BMQ and the occupational specialty training, do you have a choice as to what type of vehicle you will be operating? ie LAV III, Coyote, Leo, etc?

2. Is the system of advancement similar to the USA, where you start as say a loader, then work your way through to driver, gunner, and then possibly crew commander? Or do you get one job and stick with it?

Thanks alot everyone....and if armoured is offered to me, and I do have a choice of vehicle and regiment, any advice? I was leaning towards the LAV III, as it is clearly the most likely to be deployed, and it‘s a possible stepping stone to the future MGS that will be purchased soon.

Thanks again everyone!

My young zipperhead....

It all depends on what Regiment you go to.

LDSH(RC)....primarily panzers. You‘ll start off as a driver or gunner, senior slot is loader and is reserved for old guys like me who are about to get their own panzer.

RCD....RECCE BABY! It‘s the forces Reconasance Regiment. You will get to know the sneek and peek game. Probably start off as a driver or surv op. Maybe even go to Assault troop and learn some demolitions and other cool stuff. Coyote‘s and LAV III are the way to get up close and real personal.

12eRBC....a mix of both panzers (not for long) and Recce.

Good luck young zipperhead...you‘ll have a blast, I sure am. :D

Regards

sweet~ when i start my appcliation process Armour is my number 1 choice! go zipperheads!

Thanks alot Franko, a very informative post indeed. Thanks again for your assitance, I‘ve been reading alot of your posts around the site and you seem to be making a great contribution to the site. Thanks again!

i smell jealousy... :D

Are there any members here who‘ve served in the Inf before going Amd-or vice-versa? Not to start a pissing contest or nothing, but what are your views on either trades?

Armymedic....now don‘t be like that. I know what you‘re like. I remeber what you were like in C Force....

Be nice ;)

Regards

Zipperhead?? What the....?

Anyways, armour was my second choice (first was firefighter) but now I'm beginning to want to join armour more for some reason. Any advice? I'm waiting for a security check and then the interview and med test.

12Alfa said:
Was told by a 12RBC sgt friend they lost there tanks.

12eRBC just did their last exercise on tanks here in Gagetown about a month ago and they held a parade to say goodbye to their tanks. Here at the school we are going down to 8 tanks, the rest are either going to war stocks or the CMTC in Wainwright.

Kevin,

You would be doing the opposite of what many crewmen are doing (going crewmen and then remustering to the firefighter trade).

Personally, I feel that all support trades should have to start out as a combat arms (infantry, armour, artillery or field engineer) before going to their chosen field, so that they know what it's like to be a soldier first.

If you want to get the "fun" army guy  stuff out of the way first, go armour, and then OT (Occupational Transfer) later on. Some people will say go firefighter first. If you like sitting around polishing a nice shiny truck all the time, giver. Mind you, they DO get a lot of time off (6 on, 6 off, or so I'm told......)

Al

Something that Franko didn't mention, and I'm not sure if you prospective crewmen (aka Zipperhead's - from the stitches and scars that wartime tank crewmen got on their head.....) know is that you don't always get a choice of what Regiment you would go to. The Infantry guys know if they will be PPCLI, RCR or R22R, but it's a crap-shoot for a crewman. You can request a specific Regiment, but there are (as in life) no guarantees that you will go there.

BTW Franko, get stuck under any tanks lately??? ::)

Al

"If you want to get the "fun" army guy  stuff out of the way first, go armour, and then OT (Occupational Transfer) later on. Some people will say go firefighter first. If you like sitting around polishing a nice shiny truck all the time, giver. Mind you, they DO get a lot of time off (6 on, 6 off, or so I'm told......)"

Yeah, I think I'll do that since I like the idea of learning all the stuff you learn in armour. It's exciting to me.

"all the stuff you learn in armour"  is pretty limited now..I mean, we have all those vehicles but unfortunately they are the same ones that the infantry are using.  I am assuming there will be no more Leopard courses (aside from Advaced Gunnery) so we really have nothing that "sells" our trade anymore, do we Allan?

We ARE the mounted recconaisance experts, so that has to be worth something. And the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for the LUVW...... whhhhoooooo-aaaah!!!!

Brangwyn is mostly right, though. There isn't a whole lot of difference between us and the infantry (equipment-wise), unless we take over the Tow Under Armour (TUA) and Air Defence Anti-Tank System (ADATS) once/if they get put onto the LAV chassis (I haven't been following that one lately, so it may already be down the toilet). When/if we get the Mobile Gun System (MGS - a 105mm gun on the LAV chassis) and combined with the 2 others, we would be the Direct Fire gurus. But that's a ways away (if at all.... have to wait and see what happens after the upcoming election).

There are other differences between the infantry and the armour corps, but those are only really apparent in the shower room (they don't call them the small-arms masters for nothing!!!). Sorry for the juvenile humour, but it keeps me feeling young.....

Al

Hey Allan, I heard from an Air Defence officer that they have renamed the ADATS to the ATADS.. due to the change in it's role.. I am not sure if he was sh**ting me or not, but it sounded very true.

Allan Luomala said:
There are other differences between the infantry and the armour corps, but those are only really apparent in the shower room (they don't call them the small-arms masters for nothing!!!). Sorry for the juvenile humour, but it keeps me feeling young.....

Al

LOL, that was a good one.

Allan Luomala said:
BTW Franko, get stuck under any tanks lately??? ::)

Al

I can't believe that you actually believed that line of nonsense from a certain knuckle dragger.... ::)

Don't believe what you didn't actually see with your own eyes Al. YOU of all people should know that by now ;)

Regards

Back