• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strategic advice for RPing Canada in an alt. history 1936.

PrairieBoy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all

Now, on another forum, I participate in a grand strategy and tactics game, which simulates various conflicts from world history, with players roleplaying different factions, empires and nations. Our most recent one covers the mid-20th century (the planned range of years is, approximately, the eve of WWII to the end of the Korean War). To my delight, I got to play Canada. However, this is not the pre-WWII Canada that you or I know.

This is an alternate history scenario. How alternate? Let me list the differences that are significant to Canada:
1. The Confederates won the American Civil War, splitting the US in two.
2. The USA entered the Great War on the German side, and conquered large swathes of Canada while the CEF was away on the Western Front.
3. Germany brought WWI to an end with an advantageous peace for them.
4. Quebec has become a seperate country, the Republic of Quebec, though it is more or less an American puppet-government.
5. British Colombia and the Yukon are officially Canadian, but occupied by the US Army ala Ruhr Valley.
6. New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are states of the Union, though the referendums that let them join the Union were highly controversial, and it is suspected that they were rigged. Citizens of both former provinces hold more loyalty to Canada than to the US.
6. Out of a desire to avoid future American conquest, Newfoundland joined with Canada in 1931.
7. Canadian Parliament decided to re-patriate the monarchy in 1936. Rather than allowing King Edward VIII to continue being king after the scandal with Ms. Wallis Simpson, as the British Parliament did in this reality, the Government of Canada invited the man who, in real history, was George VI, to become King of Canada. Canada is still part of the Commonwealth, but more seperate from Britain.
8. Immigration to Canada was greater in the past (due to periodic wars between the USA and CSA dissuading people from emigrating there), resulting in a larger population than historically, even without Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.

So, in summation, I'm in charge of a country that has been neutered by the United States, reduced to the Praire Provinces, the Northwest Territories, Ontario, and Newfoundland and Labrador. As a whole, it is known as the United Kingdom of Canada & Newfoundland. 

What's the current situation? Both Americas (Confederate and United) are hostile to me, and want Canada to cease to exist as a nation. Why? Which ever America can conquer Canada will use our great quantities of natural resources to fuel their war machine and crush the other. Britain, officially, supports me; but is more concerned with events in Europe, where they are still rivals with the German Empire. My allies in the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand, are more concerned with Japan than with helping me out. Whatever I can do to improve my position, I'll have to do it by myself. Even though I am officially at peace, the mood in Canada is similar to wartime. Most men are volunteering for the Army, Navy or Air Force, and women and old folks are working in factories, cranking out supplies at a startling rate.

Despite Canada's small population of 14 million people, the strength of the Canadian Army, Navy and Air Force has almost tripled from WWI levels. 1.8 million men and women in uniform, of which the Army forms the largest part, with 900,000 servicemen. These are divided into three armies, First, Second and Third Canadian Armies. The First Canadian Army covers Ontario, Labrador and Newfoundland, the Second Canadian Army is in Alberta, while the Third Canadian Army covers Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Tensions with the United States are high, and there are frequent skirmishes along the border. The remaining 900,000 servicemen of the Forces are split between the Navy and the Air Force, 700,000 in the Navy, 200,000 in the Air Force. The RCN is small compared to the USN, operating two aircraft carriers, six battleships, a number of cruisers, destroyers and frigates, and a handful of submarines, but is growing rapidly. The RCAF operates about 4,000 aircraft, divided into 40 groups of 100 aircraft each, which are themselves divided into four Commands: Northern, Western, Central and Eastern. Most of the aircraft are single-seat fighters, light bombers, scouts and the like, and the major weakness is a lack of heavy bombers and transports. The economy is booming, as Canada has taken advantage of all its natural resources to recover from the Great Depression. Canada has become a massive automobile produce, and exports oil, natural gas, and steel to buyers all over the world.

There's the situation, and the goal? Stave off US aggression, and reclaim Quebec, BC, the Yukon, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick by any means necessary. So what advice, if any, can you guys give me?

What is the situation in Mexico?  Also can you pressure central/south america to help disrupt shipping especially along the Panama Canal?

Infrastructure will be your weak point....break the east west lines and you're screwed.  So anything to help add in additional infrastructure for troop and supply movement would help.

The Russians are still engaged in the Civil War, and though the White Russians are winning at the moment, there's no telling if the Reds won't still recover.

Most of Northern Mexico was conquered by the CSA, and the remaining bit is another US protectorate, as is Panama and Costa Rica. Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador are also aligned within the US sphere. Brazil and Argentina are currently engaged in a very costly and destructive war, while the remaining countries try to stay neutral, though Paraguay and Uruguay have become battlefields (much like Belgium in WWI).

And I know about the infrastructure, the Central Theatre is very vulnerable. My armoured corps is well trained, but its numbers are nothing compared to what the US Army could send screaming across the Prairies if they felt like it. I'm building an extensive network of roads, both rail and normal, across the Prairies to connect east and west. I'm protecting them with several lines of elastic, defense-in-depth fortifications. I won't tie myself down to them, like the French did with the Maginot Line, but they should at least slow down an American armoured thrust into the Prairies, to give me time enough, at least, to mass forces to meet the attack, or coordinate a counter-offensive.

It says our factories are efficient. Is there political support for a strategic bomber offensive? Bear in mind, technology back then was limited to area bombing by night.

Fight dirty.  Employ spies to sew discord between the US and CSA.  Strategic assassination of key Confederacy figures, small acts of sabotage on both sides of their border.  Destabilize the entire region.  Pre deploy explosive charges on every bridge, overpass, dam, and mountain pass between you and the US.  Turn the entire country into a giant obstacle in 24 hours if necessary.

Kat Stevens said:
Fight dirty.  Employ spies to sew discord between the US and CSA.  Strategic assassination of key Confederacy figures, small acts of sabotage on both sides of their border.  Destabilize the entire region.  Pre deploy explosive charges on every bridge, overpass, dam, and mountain pass between you and the US.  Turn the entire country into a giant obstacle in 24 hours if necessary.

That is fighting dirty. If caught, I think they would be executed.
They could target the economy:  Hydro-electric plants at Niagara Falls ( American side ), railroad yards and repair shops, bridges into New York, Grand Central Station, aluminum production, locks on the Ohio River,.....
There was a cryolite plant in Philadelphia that was also identified as an espionage target in WW2.

I heartily agree with Kat about fighting dirty. Predesignate small cells of mixed Infantry/Engineers as stay behind forces to reek havoc on the advacing supply lines of the Americans. And on not about supply do not forget Scorched earth it does work and thankfully like the Russians we can  employ trading space for time to counter the the American armoured thrust.

Also You need Strategic Bombers. You wont likely be able to employ them against American infrastructure but you can and should use them against your own should you be invaded. Build a strong defense make yourself not worth the cost to conquer and in so doing you will also be building offensive striking power as well.

Sure they'd be executed, but they swear with their dying breath that they work for the other side... that's how espionage works.

Who controls:

- the Great Lakes,
- Hudsons Bay,
- Prince Edward Island & Northumberland Strait,
- Magdellan Islands & Sable Island,
- Saint Lawrence Seaway,
- Northwest passage,
- Georgian Straits,

You have all the raw natural resources (oil, steel, urainium ect...) needed to defend your position. You need to R&D and to utilize the those resouces in the era you are playing.

As Kat mentioned,  you can't tell the difference between an American and Canadian by casually looking or talking to one. Fight dirty as needed to pre-position assests for your battle plans.

the Great Lakes: The Northern half is mine, southern is American.
Hudsons Bay: Me
Prince Edward Island & Northumberland Strait: Me
Magdellan Islands & Sable Island: Me
Saint Lawrence Seaway: The Quebeckers/Americans
Northwest passage: Me, though the Americans are eying it up
Georgian Straits: US Navy

I like the fighting dirty ideas. It reminds me of Vietnam, where America was simultaneously fighting a conventional war against the NVA, and a counter-insurgency war against the Vietcong. Even if the distances involved are far shorter, having to fight the Canadian Army on the frontlines, and Canadian resistance fighters behind the lines, would definitely wear down US Army numbers, materiel and resolve far faster than just conventional operations.

As for strategic bombers, political support is split. Some think they will be a necessary and invaluable part of the RCAF arsenal (which they would be), but many people think that Canada should have forces only for defense, and should isolate itself from the rest of the world's troubles.

Build Bombes and sell them as Strat airlift You have to be able to move supplies to PEI afterall....

It sounds like a strategic bombing offensive is out. As far a target selection for espionage, consideration might be given to finding America's "Achilles Heel" or jugular. ie: Focusing on one specific target, such as ball bearings, for example. Problem is, once the enemy figures that out, they will diversify and increase security. Your losses might not be sustainable. Oil and electric are always good targets.

I agree with the unconventional means.

Since NS and NB appear to have underlying Canadian loyalties, I would establish an extensive network of contacts there to gather information and drum up support. Or simply keep them as sleeper cells in case of all out war, to take out key installations.

More subs would probably be a good idea as they are force multipliers that can help to protect international trade and your economy. Where are your ports?

My idea was not to risk war by attacking infrastructure, but to turn their focus onto their other neighbour.  Small scale sabotage on both sides of the US/CSA border would go a long way to drawing the heat off you while you prepare. Blow up a few bridges, burn a few factories, leave a couple of Klan hoods laying around, that kind of thing.

Canadian ports are mostly in Newfoundland and Labrador, the most promiment being Saint John's, and a handful of naval bases on Labrador. I also have a deep-water port in Manitoba, but it only accessible in the warmer summer months, due to ice in Hudson's Bay.

Don't forget that in "this" universe Canadians had made plans to deal with the United States around that time frame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

Canadian military officer Lieutenant Colonel James "Buster" Sutherland Brown developed an earlier counterpart to War Plan Red called Defence Scheme No. 1 on April 12, 1921. Maintaining that the best defence was a good offence, "Buster" Brown planned for rapid deployment of flying columns to occupy Seattle, Great Falls, Minneapolis, and Albany. With no hope of holding these objectives, the idea was to divert American troops to the flanks and away from Canada, hopefully long enough for Imperial allies to arrive with reinforcements.

Given the same disparity between forces seems to exist in "your" universe, some variation of Defence Scheme No. 1 might work for you as well....

If they are forced to ration resources, you can also aim to harm their economy by flooding it with your spare wheat, sugar, beer and drugs on the black market. Syphoning off the average US/Confederate worker's income into your pockets. Use that income to translate your stronger economic power with other less committed allies.

Kat Stevens said:
My idea was not to risk war by attacking infrastructure, but to turn their focus onto their other neighbour.  Small scale sabotage on both sides of the US/CSA border would go a long way to drawing the heat off you while you prepare. Blow up a few bridges, burn a few factories, leave a couple of Klan hoods laying around, that kind of thing.

Now I get it. I misunderstood! That's smart thinking! No way Canada could go head on against USA. But, by doing a little "mischief" on the Mason-Dixon Line you could truly inflame passions between North and South, which in 1936 were much stronger than now. They had a Civil War Veteran's reunion in 1938. I read that some of them were still going at each other with forks! It would not take much to inflame some still raw nerves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IA4_xHz1w

People believed Martians invaded in 1938, so why not believe the South had risen again?! In fact, in this scenario, the South had won the Civil War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_%28radio%29

What about developing Q Ships and Armed Merchant Cruisers teamed up with some submarine assets to interdict and destroy the USA/CSAs merchant and fishing fleets? It may divert their fleet assets away from you. At the same time you could develop cruiser type submarines (i.e. Surcouf) and IJN I-Boats with embarked sea plane fighters to further wreak havoc on American oceanic supply routes.

Back