• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Submarine Trades

All I know about Marsaw (note, I am not in boats) is that he was described as the one person who many people would trust to "Always get back to the surface." 

Despited the contreversy, hunger strike, and publicity, he was apparently respected by some.

NS

!!!!Warning, middle aged nostalgia!!!!!  not that this will make a lot of sense to most people, but you can blame HFXcrow for getting me started  ::)

You just had to remind me of Deano Marsaw, didn't you? I only knew him as a junior officer. He was well respected...by his seniors. Those of equal or lower rank had a much different opinion of him. I have no doubt that he would always make it back to the surface. The question always was would he bother to bring anybody else back with him.

Full disclosure. I never had a problem with Marsaw. That's because at the time the stokers were insulated by a very senior CERA that nobody in the navy (especially Marsaw) was dumb enough to mess with.

Oh boy, that brings up the memories. Off the top of my head.

At the time the pay was pretty good for a single guy. P2 stoker with spec pay, sub pay and 9 years sea time increment when I had 11 years in. Not to mention the subsistance allowance and hotel rooms provided in foreign ports because no one was allowed to live on the boats in port really helped with the run ashore budget.

The reaction when the feminist commission decreed women were allowed to serve everywhere except on subs. What they put in the official report sure wasn't what they said when they toured the boats.

Escape tower training in Gosport and  living in the Crimean war barracks. Do they still send sputs to dolphin for tower training? Does the RN still put Aussies and Canucks together in the "Colonial class" and expect to not have trouble?

Being under RN control for three months where every RN ship in the exercise  breaks down at precisely 1500 every Friday afternoon and we got sent to spend the weekend in some horrible bed and breakfast in some dumpy little British seaport noone had ever heard of. The only items on the breakfast menu, runny beans with bangers, fried tomatoes and fried toast. Unless you were in Scotland, then you could get cold deepfried pizza and deep fried Mars bars leftover from the night before.

English curries when the pubs close and you are sailing the next morning. Spending the next two days wondering which end to point at the head, too weak to kill yourself or the supposed winger that said, "Try it, you'll like it."

Being a training boat and getting orders from the Teacher to be creatively incompetent to give the trainee RN captains good training time. Like we needed encouragement.

Sticky Buns the cook/canteen manager getting permission to store a couple of hundred cases of English hard scrumpy cider in one of the aft trim tanks. Surface transit home, every time we rolled, you could hear the cans exploding. I wonder if they ever managed to get the smell out of Onondaga's aft ends.

Sailing from Halifax in February when it was so cold the harbour steamed up so you couldn't see Dartmouth and heaving to a day later for a swimex  in the Gulf Stream.

Being on watch in the Engine room nursing the diesels when the sea water cooling temps go from 34F to 78F in a half hour.

Watching one of your engine room crew sitting down on one of the cylinder heads of a running V16 supercharged diesel  and knowing that despite the noise, heat and vibration the kid would be sound asleep in 30 seconds.

Tying up next to a nuke boat in Rosy Roads and having a dozen Yank Chuffs and Puffs camped out in our mess for two days trying to drink our bar dry.  Still got the USN ditty bag (real nice white nylon. much better than our red naugahyde issue) and most of the shinies they stuffed it with for thank you presents.

Sailing under a shell shocked Aussie that got press ganged out of his exchange shore billet when we ran short of skippers.

Sailing with 6 homesick Aussie sputs on workups. That was one of Ottawa's better strokes of genius. Two boats on high intensity ops covering for the third in midlife refit, the training system bogged down, barely enough qualified people to go round, and Ottawa offers six training slots every six months to the Australians. You can imagine what kind of training they got.

Coming back from workups and having a quarter of the crew posted off that day.

The night I got yanked off a duty watch and press gangs were sent out to grab everybody still in the dockyard wearing dolphins to get the Oka-no-go to sea for a SAR. Getting turned around after a couple hours because it was a false alarm.

The day a skipper who shall remain nameless lost the bubble completely. One eye glued to the periscope, white knuckled death grip on the handles, shaking with rage and screaming foul obsceneties at the trainee Sea King crew happily dunking their sonar 1500 yards off with no idea where we were. He did have a bit of an excuse though. We had spent the previous half hour starting a snort with both engines running, raised all masts and periscopes, turned on the collision avoidance light and even broached the boat to the surface trying to get their attention. Doing training ops for newbie aircrews and skimmer sonarmen was just so much fun I was a bit disappointed the XO convinced the skipper that chasing after the Sea King to fire flares at them was not a good idea.

The year you could not go to Stad wearing dolphins without that jerk base chief writing you up for something. Trying not to laugh as he dressed me down for not replacing my ID card when I grew a mustache. I had seen the notice from ID office that cards would not be replaced for mustaches, only full beards and I knew the sub squadron cox'n was tossing the writeups in the gash without reading them.

Watching one of those interchangable MND's tour the Obejoyfull wearing a work dress jacket and white turtleneck sweater a few months after skimmer command issued a rather nasty order specifically forbidding submariner's from wearing white turtleneck sweaters.

Doing a "tourist to the bridge" after the mids on a surface transit when the wake glows for a mile back and the Milky way is a solid white bar across the sky.

I loved the life but I'm glad I got out when I did. I was burnt out. They burnt out a lot of people but they don't seem to have learned any lessons from it.

Great post Buckahed! - sounds like a combination of Das Boot and the Gulag Archipelago -  :D - post more if you're in the mood,

cheers, mdh

a tear rolls down this skimmer pukes face.......

The skimmer navy runs u dry from the constant cycle of SRI's,Weapon Certs,WUPS,Trials,Missile Shoot, Depolyment, de-store, Refit, restore and lets do it all again, with a new Skippper. Add in a couple voluntold TD's.

Courses are a break!!!

....and then your DO gets all crusty, when u try to go ashore after 10 years of the this sh^t.

this EW is almost done.

Ask for a posting with us at CMTC - Wainwright is about as 'Shore' as you can get.

:D

Tom

in my prior life (ere Navy), I enjoyed RV 89 at beautiful Camp Wainwright complete with caterpillars and weird weather and of course the bus ride into Edmonton for 48's and the Cadillac Ranch....

RNW said:
So I'm guessing MARS officers can be "voluntold" to serve on subs?  

I wouldn't assume that. One of the MARS types here would be able to better answer that question. Like all trades, it depends if they have enough volunteers.

RNW said:
So I'm guessing MARS officers can be "voluntold" to serve on subs? 
Could be, but I gather there are enough volunteers that it's not necessary to force people to serve on subs.  Now, that's not to say they'll let you off easily once you get tired of being there...

Can anyone out there provide some info on the subject of submarine service?

I've been browsing the forums sections over and over and up and down and it looks like all of an NCMs initial training is completed on a surface vessel.  So, if I were hoping to serve on one of the refurbished subs then how much surface service is required before I can get into the sub-surface service?

Additionally, during your IE will you be asked if you prefer West or East coast or will they ask you specifically about the type of vessel that you'd be interested in working on?  I'd originally thought that the Navy would find you a place where they need you. A choice almost sounded too good to be true ...

I've passed BMQ and am engaging 2 years of Electronics Engineering and I could use some experienced guidance. I'm working with an Army unit (I'm landlocked) while waiting on school to start. My ULO is a former Operator of some sort from the West coast (now Army) and had a totally different entry plan, so I'm not getting much through him.

I'm not used to riding blind because I usually have a plan, but so far so good ...  help?    :piper:  where to go???

squid

squidink said:
  I'd originally thought that the Navy would find you a place where they need you.

The military will send you where you are needed. This is the over-riding factor. If it happens to coincide with your desire than everyone is happy. If that's not the case than so be it as well.

Yiu can choose location "A" all you want, if there is no positions available there, you're going to location "B".

Stacked said:
I'm at BMQ right now as a Sonar Op.  I'm hoping to go subs as well.  I was told to just make that fact known during my QL3. I'm pretty sure the requirements are set trade by trade.
SONAR Operators and some MSE tech trades (IIRC - it's Mar Eng Mech and Mar El) can come down as OS now.  Remainder is still at the LS level.

So, if I were hoping to serve on one of the refurbished subs then how much surface service is required before I can get into the sub-surface service?

Surface service is not required before going subs.

Additionally, during your IE will you be asked if you prefer West or East coast or will they ask you specifically about the type of vessel that you'd be interested in working on? 

Yes they will ask you what coast you prefer and what vessel you would like to go to on your QL3 course, but that is no guarantee on where you will be sent. They will send you where they need you.

Lex Parsimoniae said:
What trade are you?  Are you in the regular force or reserves?

I'm enlisted as NE Tech (Comm) RegF and that trade may change with the 'amalgamation' that we all keep hearing about. Needless to say, a ship is a ship and needs its electronics techs. So many of the Officers (referencing the ship's bios on the Forces site) that take command of the subs look like they have a lot of surface experience and/or international educations that it just made me think that an NCM would have to have served in a similar routing, or well at least had some of the surface going deployment time before going sub-surface, just not the lengthy education.

Springroll said:
Yes they will ask you what coast you prefer and what vessel you would like to go to on your QL3 course, but that is no guarantee on where you will be sent. They will send you where they need you.

As an NCM SEP do I not skip my QL3 package?

Stacked said:
I'm pretty sure the requirements are set trade by trade.

I appreciate the help Stacked, but that's only tuning the vagueness up a few notches for me... kind of like boot black before you spit it up for polishing  :)  How's your BMQ? I graduated the same platoon as kmcneil.

Keep that rifle oiled!  :warstory:

squidink said:
I'm enlisted as NE Tech (Comm) RegF and that trade may change with the 'amalgamation' that we all keep hearing about. Needless to say, a ship is a ship and needs its electronics techs. So many of the Officers (referencing the ship's bios on the Forces site) that take command of the subs look like they have a lot of surface experience and/or international educations that it just made me think that an NCM would have to have served in a similar routing, or well at least had some of the surface going deployment time before going sub-surface, just not the lengthy education.

As an NCM SEP do I not skip my QL3 package?

As it stand right now all NETs need to be QL5 qualified before they can come to submarines.  They do not have to do a surface equipment package after the 5s academics they will go directly to BSQ and subs trades training.  There is talk of doing the LS rank qual on subs after the trade changes over in Sept but I haven't seen anything on that yet or on which billet would be down graded for that spot.  Hope this helps.

squidink said:
Can anyone out there provide some info on the subject of submarine service?

I've been browsing the forums sections over and over and up and down and it looks like all of an NCMs initial training is completed on a surface vessel.  So, if I were hoping to serve on one of the refurbished subs then how much surface service is required before I can get into the sub-surface service?

Additionally, during your IE will you be asked if you prefer West or East coast or will they ask you specifically about the type of vessel that you'd be interested in working on?  I'd originally thought that the Navy would find you a place where they need you. A choice almost sounded too good to be true ...

I've passed BMQ and am engaging 2 years of Electronics Engineering and I could use some experienced guidance. I'm working with an Army unit (I'm landlocked) while waiting on school to start. My ULO is a former Operator of some sort from the West coast (now Army) and had a totally different entry plan, so I'm not getting much through him.

I'm not used to riding blind because I usually have a plan, but so far so good ...  help?    :piper:  where to go???

squid
Once you get to the fleet school as the Div PO/MS to contact the career manager regarding submarine service. It is constantly changing based on manning requirements. Most trades are LS QL5 minimum standard with the exception of (Mar Eng and Mar El this may have changed as well). Whenever you have your annual career managers interview express your desire to go boats, he will make a note on your file and also give you the most up to date requirments. I spend my first ten years in the navy on the O boats it was the time of my life. Best of luck.

No time no check!

Thanks for the tip, wes d!  I do appreciate it and will keep that in mind.

Back