• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

Sig_Des said:
BTW, Vern, while I was out here, I did a course. I'm now a qualified combat Storesman, and can use CGCS...I had lots of fun looking up random things I could order....Aren't you proud  ;D

I sure am proud of you !! Especially hearing that you've learned the CGCM;)  >:D

PMedMoe said:
Johnf1981, I'm confused.  ???
You mention Loadmaster and then say you don't want to work on an Air Force base.  Where do you think you would fly out of?
You mention Traffic Tech and say you want to be on ship.  You do realize that ships are not normally a posting for Tfc Techs, don't you?

Pretty simple, I scored low on my CFAT, although I got a few good trade on my list, supply tech and traffic tech.

I made it clear on my application and at my interview that i wanted to join the Navy and serve on board ships.
Personally I think that when you enlist with a branches you should serve with this branches.

I wouldn't mind working at an Air force base, but not as a supply tech, supply tech was the trade i choose to get in the Navy and be posted on a ship, I'm not too enthusiastic about this trade to be honest. Now that i know that it could be difficult to be posted on a ship or at a Navy base for that mather, I'm no more interested in the trade and will have it change. My goal was simply to work on a ship and travel the world, nothing more nothing less.

You got to understand that before coming to this board, I knew nothing about the purple trade and all, All my knowledge about the CF came from a recruiter  :eek:  The more I read thread, the more I learn and frankly i think I'm more intrested in Traffic tech now.  :)

When I said: ''I have no desire to work on a army base or on a air force base''  I meant as a supply tech.

Anyway you can nit pick me all you want i'm sure deep down you understand what I mean.  :salute:

This is pretty simple too:

1) You DO NOT enlist with branchs;

2) You enlist with the CF; and

3) They may ask what uniform colour you prefer ... but they will decide what colour you get (and in any support case, again, consider it PURPLE!!) -- NOT you (and they'll give you the clour that they need the most pers in).

You like to travel. Why not a Sup Tech on an Air Base?? Most of my tours were done (deployed with Army or Air Units) while I was posted to an Air Force Base.

Get a clue already.  ::)

And when you want a change of scenery come on up to the Oil Patch. Our company and others are screaming for experienced supply chain personnel who are not afraid of the cold , dirt and wet who are willing to take some initiative to solve some very unique support problems. My boss is a retired trucker , and the SCM planner is also a retired trucker. The JPM expansion OPI is a retired 911 CWO. Anything you learn as a 911 or 78 for that matter will stand you in good stead here. We are scheduled to expand our bitumen output three times today's flow in the next five years so you can imagine the effect on SCM. First off is a new 80,000 sq ft warehouse and 600,000 sq ft of compound.

One of the initiatives taken by my boss was visits to our sister org near Edmonton, and also to 7CFSD. I was on leave/vacation and missed the first tour, but I will be on the second one early Dec. Our storesmen and women were quite impressed by the Depot.

I  retired as a Captain on FRP but am having a ball and learning a lot as the Investment Recovery OPI here. Think I should have been named Fred Sanford.

Johnf1981 said:
I made it clear on my application and at my interview that i wanted to join the Navy and serve on board ships.
Personally I think that when you enlist with a branches you should serve with this branches.

I think we have made it abundently clear that you do not join specific branches of the military. The only way to come close to that is by joining trades that are element-specific.  Even people who join in "hard sea" trades will eventualy work outside of their elements teaching at various schools such as CFLRS.  Even as a supply tech who works on ships, you might be sent to Borden to teach new techs.

frankly i think I'm more intrested in Traffic tech now.  :)

And why are you interested in Traffic tech....? The reason i am asking is so we can clear up any misconceptions you may have.

CDN Aviator said:
I think we have made it abundently clear that you do not join specific branches of the military. The only way to come close to that is by joining trades that are element-specific.  Even people who join in "hard sea" trades will eventualy work outside of their elements teaching at various schools such as CFLRS.  Even as a supply tech who works on ships, you might be sent to Borden to teach new tech.

Or to a Svc Bn-I had a PO that worked for me in Pet. I'd like to say that he was flexible enough to adapt to the extreme change in environment but a fish out of water comes to mind. And I still remember a 911 Air Force Cpl type that found himself posted from some blue CFB to HMCS Saskatchewan in summer 79. Another fish out of water. Was ppuking before we even cleared the harbour.

CDN Aviator said:
And why are you interested in Traffic tech....? The reason i am asking is so we can clear up any misconceptions you may have.

I think he missed the bit in my earlier post about those tfc techs here in Gagetown, and Halifax, and Petawawa, and Edmonton etc etc etc.

He just doesn't get it.

He is just one spoke in the wheel of 60 000 spokes. He's really not that important in and of himself -- what he fails to see is that it the position of that spoke in the wheel, where and when it's required, that is what actually makes the wheel go round; it sure as hell ain't his personal preference.

a78jumper said:
Or to a Svc Bn-I had a PO that worked for me in Pet. I'd like to say that he was flexible enough to adapt to the extreme change in environment but a fish out of water comes to mind. And I still remember a 911 Air Force Cpl type that found himself posted from some blue CFB to HMCS Saskatchewan in summer 79. Another fish out of water. Was ppuking before we even cleared the harbour.

What i was getting at is that he only wants to serve on ship / naval base and nothing else.  Even if he was to join the CF as a NES Op ( a navy-only trade) he could still at some point end up in Non-naval instalations such as CFLRS  or CFEWC in Ottawa.

ArmyVern said:
I think he missed the bit in my earlier post about those tfc techs here in Gagetown, and Halifax, and Petawawa, and Edmonton etc etc etc.

He just doesn't get it.

He is just one spoke in the wheel of 60 000 spokes. He's really not that important in and of himself -- what he fails to see is that it the position of that spoke in the wheel, where and when it's required, that is what actually makes the wheel go round; it sure as hell ain't his personal preference.

Its a comon misconception brought about by the generous use of the terms "air force"....."army" and "navy".  There is no such legal entities in thsi country and i think it leads applicants to be confused about what they are getting into.

John, you best bet is to look into the Recruiting site.
If your right hard core into sailing, I would recommend Boatswain.
I find it's the "heart" of the Navy. Jack of all trades, master of none.
If you got any questions on Navy trades you can try this link.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Schultz

ArmyVern said:
Hey!! I'm pesionable on 11 Jan 08!!  >:D

We are hiring at least eight more people shortly-my sign up bonus and accn allowance was just a few $$$$ short of $28K alone, and this year I will earn six figures despite having only started 1 May.

Our drivers are being paid $70K a year, and stock analysts and expansion planners more than that.

I work four ten hour days, am paid overtime, get four weeks vacation and five after eight years, full bennies off the bat which nicely augment my PSHCP and Pensioners Dental Plan, education is paid for, and we work directly for one of the largest oil companies in the world, thus are open for "postings" anywhere. PM me if you wish for the mailing address, plus I will put you intouch with the other retirees here.

a78jumper said:
Our drivers are being paid $70K a year, and stock analysts and expansion planners more than that.

What sort of "driving" are we talking about? (Heavy equipment, tractor trailer, straight truck?) You got my attention.  ;D

The drivers that work for us in SCM are driving a civy pattern Ford v-10 Super Duty vehicle but if you are interested in BIG TRUCKS we also have 28 CAT 797Bs and a large number of smaller haul trucks, dozers excavators etc. See www.albiansands.ca for some pics.

BTW I just received notice today  that if I stay employed with the company until 31 Dec 08(I started 2 May 07) I will be getting a "Allegiance Cash Award" of $18,500 to reward me for sticking around 20 months. Encorages people not to defect I suppose!

Off our site listed today. This is a $70K a year job!

Delivery Driver – 07656

Job Description

Apply Online

Description

This is an entry-level position within the warehouse operations, responsible for delivery of materials to specific locations throughout the site. This position will operate on a shift basis.

Job Responsibilities:

Ensure that Albian health and safety standards are achieved and maintained within area of responsibility.
Work with Mine and Plant to ensure materials are delivered to the required work locations in a timely fashion.
Obtain delivery receipt confirmation signature.
Offload and load transport trucks.
Responsible for maintaining Warehouse cleanliness.
Participate in special Projects.
Materials Preservation.
Conduct cycle counts in conjunction with warehouse technician.
Provide status and condition reporting to Team Lead.
Daily Vehicle checklist.

Qualifications
Grade 12 or equivalent required
WHMIS
Written and verbal communication skills
Problem solving skills
Valid drivers’ license
Fort Lift operator

Sgt  Schultz said:
John, you best bet is to look into the Recruiting site.
If your right hard core into sailing, I would recommend Boatswain.
I find it's the "heart" of the Navy. Jack of all trades, master of none.
If you got any questions on Navy trades you can try this link.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Schultz

I can't pick this trade, I scored low on my CFAT.

Contrary to popular believe, I understand everything, It's just that this purple trade thing kinda piss me off, but it's how it works, I understand.

I will sign reserve anyway and try to work my self on board a ship, If i can't, I'll take a math course and apply for a 3rd CFAT, I'm sure it's easier once fully trained. Traffic tech sure look nice but I don't want to join the CF full time except maybe as a Boatswain. Worst case scenario, I'll finish all my courses and quit, I'm sure I could find a good job in the marine merchants or on a cruise ship. Case close.
Thanks all.

I Could also marry my American girlfriend and apply in the Us navy in a few years. I speak 4 languages, I'm sure there is something for me there. I'll think about all that.

Johnf1981 said:
Worst case scenario, I'll finish all my courses and quit, I'm sure I could find a good job in the marine merchants or on a cruise ship.

Great, that's just what the military needs is people looking to get free training.  ::)

Johnf1981 said:
I Could also marry my American girlfriend and apply in the Us navy in a few years. I speak 4 languages

I think you only need one language, even for the U.S. Navy.  ;)

And with that,

We've discovered that Johnf1981 ... does NOT need to be a Sup Tech!! (Nor really any other support trade -- simply incompatable); so without pulling this thread even further off-topic, that post by Moe can be the last one about him -- and we'll get the thread away from his life-story and back to Sup Techs ... Thanks Moe!!

;)

Hey Vern,

Actually I know of 2 other 911ers who have made it to Cox'n, Mike G and Steve A.

Also, yes I am very proud of my Naval roots. I am a leading Seaman and I am entitled to be addressed as my uniform states, not as a Corporal. But at the same time I have no qualms about and fully understand that my "purple" ( I hate that term ) means I can be deployed as the CF sees fit. Case in point my Kandahar stint last summer and my first posting which was CFB Kingston.

I will always have a strong belief in my uniform's history and traditions. I believe there is room for that in the CF.

REPEAT FROM ANOTHER THREAD BUT IT WORKS HERE TOO

Naval Storesman here,

The stores trade (Supply Tech for you pongos and zoomies) at sea is a great job. You can be employed as the ships victualler, in one of the ships warehouses, in the office or you may even be lucky enough to get the best job on the ship, the main laundry.

Apart from these trade related duties you will be required to be a sailor first. By this I mean you will stand duty watches in home and foreign port, you will stand as an HQ1 rounds man, you will take part in deck evolutions like RASing and entering and leaving harbor, you will also probably be employed as part of the casualty clearing team during action and emergency stations. You will also have the opportunity to take the Naval Boarding Party or Ships Team Diver courses.

As a Naval Storesman you can expect long hours at sea. We routinely work from 8 am - 9-10 pm just on our supply work, that does not include midnight RASes, XOs Delights and the buffer being the buffer. You will at times have to endure probably the harshest of working conditions anywhere, the cruel sea. As supply we cant go down when it gets rough for people must eat the engines must turn and the laundry must be done. You will also get probably the best opportunity to travel while with the navy. I came to the Navy in 2001; so far I have traveled the USA, Africa, Scotland, Ireland, England, Greece, Turkey, UAE, Spain, Portugal, Malta and Algeria. Next year we are planning on another deployment to an area still new to me.

We also have a generous sea to shore ratio compared to most hard sea trades. We are usually 3 and 3. That’s 3 years ashore 3 years at sea. Don’t be afraid for when I say 3 years at sea I only mean 3 years posted to a ship, and for that 3 years you are part of the ships company. So if you’re lucky you will get a good mix of sailing and time home.

My favorite aspect of being a Naval Storesman is the Navy. The history the traditions and all things that make going to see such an adventure and test of man vs. nature. I would encourage anyone to join the Navy. READY AYE READY

Back