• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

Avro Arrow said:
So I am in the midst of my Aptitude Test, Medical and Interview. I have passed the aptitude test and am going next week for the remaining two elements which I hope to pass easily. I'm attempting to join as an Air Force Supply Tech, my Grandfather started out in the RCAF in WW2 and my Great Grandfather was in WW1 as a pilot so why not RCAF for me!

Anyway as Supply Tech is Purple I have been told to expect to serve in all three branches of the CF regardless of my uniform colour. I’ve always been a military enthusiast so I respect all the branches; however I’m 35 and have a young family. So I would prefer to stick too Air Force and Army postings essentially to stay close to the family. I’d take a Navy posting happily so long as it is dockside. Eventually when my kid or kids are older I’d love to do a posting that involves being stationed on a ship but just not now.

Anyway my first question is how much does the CF care about what I want or would prefer posting wise especially now as a snot nosed Recruit?

Also how likely am I to get to wear Air Force Blue? I've been told that as Supply Tech is Purple they stick you in whatever uniform they need Supply Techs in Army, Air or Navy. HOWEVER I've also been told that I should get to wear Blue because as a Supply Tech it doesn't matter what you wear as you'll be posted anywhere in any element...

Some help here would be appreciated.

I don't know a single Sup Tech who has served in only one environment (and I know shitloads of 'em now serving in all all three) through their entire career. Even if their only operational postings were with one environment, they still serve(d) time at other non-operational postings outside of that element.

Here's my career thus far for clarity (you seem to think the RCAF types go away less; not true - it depends upon your TRADE, not your colour)

During my time with the Navy (4 years):
1 X 6 month tour;
1 X 10 month task away from home.

During my time with the Air Force (6 years):
2 X 6 month tour;
1 X 9 month tour;
too many small tasks away from home to count.

During my time with the Army & Joint:
1 X 7 month tour;
1 X 10 month tour (with another 5 months of work-ups away from home);
Shotloads of exercises and tasks away from home.

BUT, I have to tell you, this comment makes it really obvious to me that Sup Tech is NOT the right fit for you:

however I’m 35 and have a young family. So I would prefer to stick too Air Force and Army postings essentially to stay close to the family. I’d take a Navy posting happily so long as it is dockside. Eventually when my kid or kids are older I’d love to do a posting that involves being stationed on a ship but just not now.

WTF?? None of the three elements will give you that comfort. Rather --- get used to it; it is the very nature of what we do in the CF (and in our trade).

A young family?? Oh well. I have a family too. I grew them while I was young (I'm a little older now) BUT all while doing all the shit listed above. If that's NOT for you, please don't join us because some other Sup Tech will get tossed on the tour to take your spot at the last minute when you dag red (even though they have young kids too and a couple of tours already, but are still willing to do their jobs) ... and will get less time with his/her family so "the system" can look after yours instead. If you honestly are OK with that and join, then don't bitch when you see them get promoted ahead of you and advance in their careers while yours staggers etc as they are actually doing their jobs (all of it!) and you will not be. <--- I've seen that whiney tune too many times too.  ::)

The CF isn't a picnic, nor a "what can the trade/environment, CF do for me" entity. Happily, I see some evidence that we are getting out of that "coddling one family and thereby screwing over someone else's instead" mindset. In short, the CF expects you to be deployable anywhere at any time --- that IS why they pay you. They give you MATA/PATA for times when you have kids. If you have a significant issue occurring family-wise, we can accommodate for that. It is the exception in circumstance and is NOT expected to be pro-longed (ie: while you're young). If you think that you should be our exception, I'd say, "you've not only thinking of the wrong trade, but of the wrong employer".

Uniform colours are assigned based foremost upon what each environment's status at the time is. RCAF Sup Techs are at strength therefore a blue uniform can most likely be ruled out. If the Army or RCN is lacking in the trade, then you will be assigned one of those instead. They consider your wishes for uniform colour, but it is the needs of the service that determine what you will actually wear.

I used to wear blue, switched to green. I know others who requested uniform changes and had those requests denied. Frankly, mine is purple ... as are theirs; I expect they will remain purple for the foreseeable future.

Don't count on being posted to an Air Force base to stay close to the family regardless of your uniform colour. Having spent some time in Cold Lake at 409, the operational squadron, I can say you would be away quite a bit. (And nearly all of 409's Supply Techs wear green by the way) A good majority of the time they will have several trips per year that will range  3 weeks to a month. Major deployments in the last two years were 6 months in Italy last summer, 3 months in BC for the Olympics in 2010, and 6 weeks last spring in Iceland. This year so far I have gone on three trips (2 to Florida and one to BC) that are equal to over 2.5 months away from home. There are more trips coming up in summer and fall. And that does not include any of the occasions where we are told, "Pack your stuff. We're getting on the Herc tomorrow to go up north". Supply techs come on all of these taskings although, to echo what Army Vern said, it often seems like it's the same people on every trip because some end up unable to go for whatever reason.

I'm not supply but if I added up the duration, using ballpark figures since I can't remember the exact dates, of every single tasking or TD in the last 3 years it would likely be equal to being away for over a year straight. And that is not counting my 6 months in Italy last year or unexpected trips up north.

ArmyVern said:
I don't know a single Sup Tech who has served in only one environment (and I know shitloads of 'em now serving in all all three) through their entire career. Even if their only operational postings were with one environment, they still serve(d) time at other non-operational postings outside of that element.

Here's my career thus far for clarity (you seem to think the RCAF types go away less; not true - it depends upon your TRADE, not your colour)

During my time with the Navy (4 years):
1 X 6 month tour;
1 X 10 month task away from home.

During my time with the Air Force (6 years):
2 X 6 month tour;
1 X 9 month tour;
too many small tasks away from home to count.

During my time with the Army & Joint:
1 X 7 month tour;
1 X 10 month tour (with another 5 months of work-ups away from home);
Shotloads of exercises and tasks away from home.

BUT, I have to tell you, this comment makes it really obvious to me that Sup Tech is NOT the right fit for you:

WTF?? None of the three elements will give you that comfort. Rather --- get used to it; it is the very nature of what we do in the CF (and in our trade).

A young family?? Oh well. I have a family too. I grew them while I was young (I'm a little older now) BUT all while doing all the crap listed above. If that's NOT for you, please don't join us because some other Sup Tech will get tossed on the tour to take your spot at the last minute when you dag red (even though they have young kids too and a couple of tours already, but are still willing to do their jobs) ... and will get less time with his/her family so "the system" can look after yours instead. If you honestly are OK with that and join, then don't ***** when you see them get promoted ahead of you and advance in their careers while yours staggers etc as they are actually doing their jobs (all of it!) and you will not be. <--- I've seen that whiney tune too many times too.  ::)

The CF isn't a picnic, nor a "what can the trade/environment, CF do for me" entity. Happily, I see some evidence that we are getting out of that "coddling one family and thereby screwing over someone else's instead" mindset. In short, the CF expects you to be deployable anywhere at any time --- that IS why they pay you. They give you MATA/PATA for times when you have kids. If you have a significant issue occurring family-wise, we can accommodate for that. It is the exception in circumstance and is NOT expected to be pro-longed (ie: while you're young). If you think that you should be our exception, I'd say, "you've not only thinking of the wrong trade, but of the wrong employer".

Uniform colours are assigned based foremost upon what each environment's status at the time is. RCAF Sup Techs are at strength therefore a blue uniform can most likely be ruled out. If the Army or RCN is lacking in the trade, then you will be assigned one of those instead. They consider your wishes for uniform colour, but it is the needs of the service that determine what you will actually wear.

I used to wear blue, switched to green. I know others who requested uniform changes and had those requests denied. Frankly, mine is purple ... as are theirs; I expect they will remain purple for the foreseeable future.

Well before this gets too far out of hand I'll repeat. One of the reasons I want to wear light blue is I have a family history with it.  I respect all the arms of the military.
In any case if they want me to wear Green I'll wear Green, if they want me to wear Dark Blue then I'll wear it and if they give me my preference of Light Blue then YAY. Wearing either of the other 2 colours was never a deal breaker I'll be proud just to get to wear a CF uniform. I was simply asking how likley is it I'll get my prefered colour and if I don't how hard it is to change if I felt like it after say 3 to 5 years in.

As for postings I'm fully aware I will be sent away from home, it's the military I never expect 9 to 5 with every weekend off. The only thing that had me concerned was being posted to the Navy and to a ship for my first 2 to 5 year posting. Reason being as I have done research I have found according to the trade videos at forces.ca that the average Naval member who is posted to ship spends 3 out of every 5 years at sea.

I have no problem working at a Army or Naval base, I'm not one of those guys who is trying to join the Air Force because I think it is the cushiest of the 3 I simply want RCAF.

I've spent a great many months preparing for my testing not to mention training to get myself in shape, so this is not a flip decision.

Thanks to you and to the others for your insight, obviously Supply Techs get sent away a bit more than I was lead to believe however it's still something I want to do.

Well I passed all my testing Aptitude, physical and interview way back in early June. Now it is the wait for my trade to open and for me to get selected hopefully earlier rather than later. They jumped the selection date from Aug 7 to two days before my interview :mad: so I missed it. The recruting centre says maybe Aug, Sept or Nov at the latest IF I get selected.

At the begining of the year the CF needed 105 Supply Techs, then it went down to 69 then went back up to like 97 and now it is around 50ish. Apparently the CF is going through the back log of applicants so hopefully that is done or will be done soon and I can get in for next month of sometime in the fall.

This thread has been very useful to me as I was selected for Army Sup Tech. I'm 27 single and very eager to get through BMQ, SQ and Trade school so I can get my first posting and to be able to see Canada and beyond.

Cheers!

Avro Arrow said:
Well I passed all my testing Aptitude, physical and interview way back in early June. Now it is the wait for my trade to open and for me to get selected hopefully earlier rather than later. They jumped the selection date from Aug 7 to two days before my interview :mad: so I missed it. The recruting centre says maybe Aug, Sept or Nov at the latest IF I get selected.

At the begining of the year the CF needed 105 Supply Techs, then it went down to 69 then went back up to like 97 and now it is around 50ish. Apparently the CF is going through the back log of applicants so hopefully that is done or will be done soon and I can get in for next month of sometime in the fall.

I hope I am one of the backlogged. Fingers crossed that my 10 years in trade will help me "jump" to the front of the line.

I was told by my COC that there probally wouldn't be any QL3's running this year for Supply Techs as there moving to DRMIS and as such are taking a year to redesign the course. As a Reservist Supply Tech that does worry me as I wish to be trade qualified as soon as possible (do not want to stay a cornflake for an other year). Could someone verify if the info I was told is correct and if it is when would they start running them again? Also as a side note what qualifications are available for a Pte. without there trades course but with DVR Wheel, Airbrakes, BMQ, and BMQ-L. The only one I could really think of is Comms but otherwise I have no idea thoughts?

The info you have been given is incorrect.

DRMIS is now being taught on all QL3 courses as a 3-day package at the end of the course. Has been that way for this entire fiscal year at least.

There are 3 QL3's slated to run in Jan '13 (15 Jan - 15 Mar 13) with DRMIS 18-20 Mar 13.

The rest of the Supply world will be online in the next year or so with DRMIS rolling out at different dates according to your support Base.

Thanks for the response, I was a bit worried when I was told that I wouldn't be able to do my QL3 during the summer i'll have to bring it up my COC later then. Merci

painswessex said:
I hope I am one of the backlogged. Fingers crossed that my 10 years in trade will help me "jump" to the front of the line.

So did your 10 years get you in yet? Did you jump to the head of the line? If so CONGRATS maybe we'll be doing BMQ together.

I finally got the word in mid December that I was selected. There was only 18 positions left and I managed to snag one of them. I guess my education counted for something after all :)

The major down side is that thanks to Hamilton Recruiting centre dropping the ball on my application I didn't make it into the fall round of new recruits (which apparently I was supposed to). So now I'm leaving in Feb a couple of weeks before my son is due to be born... Well I'm going anyway, it is going to suck to miss out on his birth but it is one of those things that has to be done if I want to get my new career going.

So to the previous poster who didn't think I was cut out for the military because of my being away from family concerns, I think you now know exactly where to shove that little comment. As I said I never thought the military was going to be a reg 9 to 5 job with every weekend off. Me making this major family sacrifice right out of the starting gate outta be an indication of just how dedicated I am to making this my new career.

ANYWAY, so after over a year of prepping myself i.e. working through a shoulder injury, running a noticeable amount of fat off my ass, bringing my math skills up to something resembling okay I am finally getting my shot at earning a CF uniform.

And you can bet that if I'm willing to miss my sons birth I going to try my hardest to pass BMQ so that I don't have to face my son down the road and tell him I failed and missed his birth for nothing.

I'm really looking forward to it all even though I got Army Green instead of Air force Blue :) Oh well that wasn't a surprise either and it is something that I can probably change a year or 3 down the road if I still want to.

Thank you to all of you on here the intel has been most helpful.

Avro Arrow said:
So to the previous poster who didn't think I was cut out for the military because of my being away from family concerns, I think you now know exactly where to shove that little comment. As I said I never thought the military was going to be a reg 9 to 5 job with every weekend off. Me making this major family sacrifice right out of the starting gate outta be an indication of just how dedicated I am to making this my new career.

i think you are referring to me ... 8 months later.  ::)

Here's what I actually said back then:

"If you think that you should be our exception, I'd say, "you've not only thinking of the wrong trade, but of the wrong employer".

Mother of gawd  ... move on already.

Vern maybe you will get lucky and end up with this individual working for you  ::)

My husband started off as a supply tech,  he got the light blue uniform,  but, during his time as a Supply Tech, he got posted to the HMCS Vancouver. 

He isn't a supply tech now though, gone through 2 remusters.  Anyway his advice to you is, if you're purple, you go anywhere they need you. (goes with every trade actually)  Reserves would have been your best bet if you didn't want to deploy.  (Even though, in the reserves, you still are called to go away from your family, for courses, and even possibly deployments depending on the demand) One posting you can be on a navy ship, the next, you could be at a remote service battalion in the middle of nowhere, the next, a cushy posting on one of the AFB's.

You can have posting preferences, but, be prepared to have them completely ignored.  Protip: The better performer you are the more likely they are to consider your posting preferences...still not a guarantee though.  Semper Gumby.  Be flexible.

Pandora114 said:
My husband started off as a supply tech,  he got the light blue uniform,  but, during his time as a Supply Tech, he got posted to the HMCS Vancouver. 

He isn't a supply tech now though, gone through 2 remusters.  Anyway his advice to you is, if you're purple, you go anywhere they need you. (goes with every trade actually)  Reserves would have been your best bet if you didn't want to deploy.  (Even though, in the reserves, you still are called to go away from your family, for courses, and even possibly deployments depending on the demand) One posting you can be on a navy ship, the next, you could be at a remote service battalion in the middle of nowhere, the next, a cushy posting on one of the AFB's.

You can have posting preferences, but, be prepared to have them completely ignored.  Protip: The better performer you are the more likely they are to consider your posting preferences...still not a guarantee though.  Semper Gumby.  Be flexible.

Not that he hasn't been told all that shit in this thread before, but we're red (Red = personal preferences are absolutely way down the list of consideration for posting).

If the most recent QL3 onward posting locations holds ... I'd almost be willing to bet a bottle of Patrón that Edmonton/Wainwright is the future what's up.  And that was a QL3 franco serial --- bet they're happy.  The Career Managers certainly called that right when I met with them end-Nov 12.

Avro Arrow said:
So to the previous poster who didn't think I was cut out for the military because of my being away from family concerns, I think you now know exactly where to shove that little comment.

Well.. to be technical and everything  ;) you still have no idea if you are cut out for the military or not.  You accepted a job offer,  nothing more.  Once you get through the training system and some time in a unit you will get a better idea if the military is for you or not.  Good luck with it.

Pandora114 said:
Reserves would have been your best bet if you didn't want to deploy.  (Even though, in the reserves, you still are called to go away from your family, for courses, and even possibly deployments depending on the demand)

You can still say no in the reserves - although it would slow down your career progression for refusing to go on a career course.  On the deployment part,  they ask for volunteers;  regardless of the demand deployments are voluntary.

Pandora114 said:
you could be at a remote service battalion in the middle of nowhere

What remote Service Battalion is there in the middle of nowhere?  1 SVC BN is in Edmonton,  2 SVC BN is in Petawawa,  and 5 SVC BN is in Valcartier.

What part of I KNOW are you people not getting here...

With the amount of work I have and am putting into my new career shot in the CF I just took offence to the you shouldn't join us line.
As I should btw, it was rude of anyone to jump to that conclusion just because I asked a few questions about first postings, being away from home etc.

BTW Anyone with a growing family who doesn't ask questions like I did before getting in those are the people who shouldn't join! Now that I did my family and I have better idea of what may take place.

Once again thank you to all for your input and the next time I post here will be after I hopefully clear BMQ in one piece.

Farewell for now.

Avro Arrow said:

With the amount of work I have and am putting into my new career shot in the CF I just took offence to the you shouldn't join us line.

The line that no one actually said to you??  ::)

Good luck ... for what it's worth.

ArmyVern said:
The line that no one actually said to you??  ::)

Good luck ... for what it's worth.

It was the gist of this whole section that was sent my way.

"BUT, I have to tell you, this comment makes it really obvious to me that Sup Tech is NOT the right fit for you:

"WTF?? None of the three elements will give you that comfort. Rather --- get used to it; it is the very nature of what we do in the CF (and in our trade).

A young family?? Oh well. I have a family too. I grew them while I was young (I'm a little older now) BUT all while doing all the crap listed above. If that's NOT for you, please don't join us because some other Sup Tech will get tossed on the tour to take your spot at the last minute when you dag red (even though they have young kids too and a couple of tours already, but are still willing to do their jobs) ... and will get less time with his/her family so "the system" can look after yours instead. If you honestly are OK with that and join, then don't ***** when you see them get promoted ahead of you and advance in their careers while yours staggers etc as they are actually doing their jobs (all of it!) and you will not be. <--- I've seen that whiney tune too many times too.  ::)

The CF isn't a picnic, nor a "what can the trade/environment, CF do for me" entity. Happily, I see some evidence that we are getting out of that "coddling one family and thereby screwing over someone else's instead" mindset. In short, the CF expects you to be deployable anywhere at any time --- that IS why they pay you. They give you MATA/PATA for times when you have kids. If you have a significant issue occurring family-wise, we can accommodate for that. It is the exception in circumstance and is NOT expected to be pro-longed (ie: while you're young). If you think that you should be our exception, I'd say, "you've not only thinking of the wrong trade, but of the wrong employer"."

The basic gist of all that to me was since you are asking the question in the first place then you shouldn't join us. If that wasn't your intent then sorry.

Anyway you guys are pretty fast at responding here I was about to log off and BANG response  :)

Now I'll see you all after my BMQ attempt

I don't often wade into to these types of discussion but a big piece of advice for you Avro.  Get rid of your attitude now.  Army Vern not only is a senior member of this board but is a senior high rank in the supply trade.  You might want to remember that. She very well may be your boss.  Her post was directly related to stress of her position and the issues she deals with on a daily basis.  I know for its similar in my trade also and at my level. 

Yes your question was valid but her reply were just as valid.  Maybe not you but we deal with many in similar position who treat this job in the military as a job not as a calling.  They often seem to find it a surprise when regardless of family that they are expected to be away for long periods of time.  So understand that when some one comes back and indicates that if your reluctant to go and perform in certain environments or elements that this isn't the job for you.  We spend many wasted hours a day on these types and its very frustrating and time consuming.

Avro Arrow, when people come out of the gate saying they want to minimize the impact of their job/career/employment upon their family, it doesn't set the best of tones and, to be frank, is kind of a warning flag to many of us who have had to deal with personnel who somehow felt deceived or ill-informed by the CF regarding the realities of their chosen trade or occupation. 

We're tracking your "all-other-things-being-equal-I'd-prefer-to-be-RCAF", but as numerous posters (many of whom ARE sup techs) have pointed out, the colour of environmental uniform has little to do with employment locations.

However, the stament by Army Vern regarding the possibility that Sup Tech is NOT for you could even be considered by many (myself included) to actually be relatively restrained -- many thinking quietly (and I will ask aloud) whether ANY career in the CF is right for you?  I refer to my earlier point about many of us here having dealt with personnel who felt that the CF lifestyle unfairly burdened them and their family.

Personally, I would rather that each and every member applying to the CF, be it RCAF, RCN, CA or any other element, be challenged both by the system (recruiting process) and themselves, to ensure that they are joining in a fully-informed manner wherein they will be able to reasonably manage their and their family's expectations throughout their entire career.

I think you jumped rather quickly into "take offense" mode from Army Vern's post rather than asking why she thought the way she did.  Take it as you wish, but with close to three decades of service, I see your conduct (at least that online) as fitting a pattern I have seen more than a few times before, and which more often than not lead to disappointment for both the member and the service.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Back