• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

Girlfiredup, Sup Tech is a very diverse trade, it would be hard to explain exactly via this means. If you are sincerely interested, send me an e-mail at
old_army_wo@yahoo.com and I will answer any and all questions I can. I have been in the trade (Reg) for some 21 years, have served overseas, with the infantry, with the Artillery and am currently a Platoon WO in a Sup Coy.

Hey Shania Fan.. I just tried emailing you but it bounced back. 554 delivery error: This user doesn‘t have a yahoo.com account??

Could you list some of the obvious stuff that you do on a daily basis?

There are many job a supply tech can do there is customer service, purchasing, driving, demands, if you go to the reserves, you can do the job of a combat storeman in suport of other units, taking care of the vault(weapons lockup)wharehouse work, shipping, receiving,... there are a lot more things as well.

How soon into your trade do you get to take driver training?

depending on your unit but usualy within a year after you have finished your trade course.

How often are you in the field?

It will depend on your particular job but the service battallion will do about 2 to 5 excercises per year as well as the NIAQ / WARRIOR.

The niaq / warrior is refamilliarization of basic military skills.

If say you were working at 25 depot never.

For instance there is an excercise coming up 89 days in Florida it is not mandatory because they do realize people have other commitments but it is happenning on spring break. HMMM... GET A PAID TRIP TO FLORIDA. On top of that you get paid.

6. What do you like about your trade?

You have many task you are never doing the same thing over and over and over again.
Oh and everybody else in the military wants to be your friend so they can get kit, functioning kit, kit that fit.

Digest this to start. if you want to know more just ask.

It is a very good trade.

Hey now... :))))) This trade doesn‘t sound all that bad afterall. BD, I see you are 13 years in the trade. Could you tell me what would be expected of someone going in Res for the first 1-2 years?? Many thanks.

Well first off you have to do your BMQ course (basic military qualification course) this can either be done on weekends it is roughly 13 weekends long during the year. On this course you will learn the general military rules, regulations, structure, the use of the C7 rifle, map and compass, basic feildcraft, physical fitness,...

After that you go on the SQ course were you learn more fieldcraft, C9 light machine gun, 60 mm mortar, carl gustuv 84 mm MRAAW medium range anti armored weapon,.... I am not sure exactly how long this course lasts as it is a fairly new course and as of yet I have not worked on one of them.

The first two course BMQ, SQ everyone in the military has to do no matter what trade or element you are in.

After that you go on your QL3 (Qualification level 3) course at CFSAL (Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics)in Borden, Ontario. This will give you your basic supply techncian qualification. I can not tell you the exact qualification length as I just spoke to my friend that works at the school there and the whole course is in the middle of being revamped.

All that should take roughly one year if you begin the bmq in Semptember. The course is given 3 or four times a year but the later you start the more cramp it gets so instead of working every other weekend you start doing 2 weekends on 1 off. The corse after that is 3 weekends on 1 off then some times they run 1 fulltime.

Once you are completely qualified you can start working as a supply tech. I am not sure what unit you plan on joining but I will tell you right off the bat, if you do not go to the service battallion then be prepared to get transfered there. In Ontario I am not sure if they have started the restructure yet but all support trades other than administration is going to be based out from the service battallions.

Once you get back to you unit depending on what unit you go to your job will vary. if you tell what unit you goto can tell you more of what you will be doing.

Go through that then get back to me as I know I can be long winded at times.

Also take a look at this link for more info.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/logbranch/handbook/Volume7/Vol7_e.htm

GirlFiredUp,

I am a logisitcs officer (QM, Transport, and Tech) in a Communications Reserve squadron. It‘s a great job and I really enjoy working with my fellow supp techs. It‘s very different from other trades. We exist to support and serve the unit (in my case) or units in general if you‘re in a service bat. It is a sometimes thankless job, but one from which I derive great satisfaction. The Log motto is "Servitium Nulli Secondus" - service second to none, and it is constant challenge and source of pride in trying to give it!

Personally, I prefer being a Log O in a unit of another trade (not a svc bat). I get a lot more experience supporting ‘front line‘ troops and get to interact with and learn from people from another trade. Me and my team are in the field at least twice a month.

On EX, my loggies serve as drivers, set up PCs, and generally do everything to ge the EX working. Without logistical support, there would be no EX. In fact there would be no army!

If you have any questions, let me know. Email me at - ggranatstein@mac.com - In fact, we have a spot open for an eager supp tech in my unit in Montreal.

BD, thanks! It‘s so nice to come across someone like yourself willing to help. No worries about your post being long-winded. The more information, the better. I sent you an email by the way. I‘ll wait for you response. Also, thanks for the link. I stumbled across it the other day.

I‘m curious to know what the following mean:

CLS ?

CAS ?

CFFRET ?

In Montreal all supply techs are being transfered to 51st bns since comms is not part of 34 brigade your supply techs are safe. what is starting to happen now is that the service battallion is going out and supporting the other units. If the other units want support.

When there is a problem who do you call 911 (supply tech)!

Whenever RMR goes out do you go out with them?

I heard that reservist were cut off from useing the HL, but im not sure. Im in PAT platoon right now slated to take my BMQ this summer. From what I have been told at my unit is that if you are not in the unit and signed up for BMQ by now you have missed the Summer training and will have to take it when it is next offered. Once I‘m out of PAT platoon I will be a suptech, unfortunately I haven‘t gotton my kit yet and everyone is razzing me about how I must have pissed the QM off on account that i‘ve been in for over a month wearing civvies. Hope it‘s not true cuz I will be working under him later. :crybaby:

Originally posted by pissedpat:
[qb] I heard that reservist were cut off from useing the HL, but im not sure. Im in PAT platoon right now slated to take my BMQ this summer. From what I have been told at my unit is that if you are not in the unit and signed up for BMQ by now you have missed the Summer training and will have to take it when it is next offered. Once I‘m out of PAT platoon I will be a suptech, unfortunately I haven‘t gotton my kit yet and everyone is razzing me about how I must have pissed the QM off on account that i‘ve been in for over a month wearing civvies. Hope it‘s not true cuz I will be working under him later. :crybaby: [/qb]
haha
your in my unit, also its not 12 SVC Bt, its 12 SVC BN

also, I know people that came into the unit in late April of last year, an they got their BMQ and SQ

Originally posted by pissedpat:
[qb] Once I‘m out of PAT platoon I will be a suptech, unfortunately I haven‘t gotton my kit yet and everyone is razzing me about how I must have pissed the QM off on account that i‘ve been in for over a month wearing civvies. Hope it‘s not true cuz I will be working under him later. :crybaby: [/qb]
You are much luckier than i...I had 4 weekends of training with no uniform or kit other then a sleeping bag...No duffle, No boots, no webbing or ruck. I had to pack a duffle of my own from home and lug tons of crap because i had no equiptment at all.

Thats 4 weekends of BMQ, its pretty freaking embarassing to be on course and everyone is gettin inspected, except for you and then when the brigade commander visits, he wonders why you formed up in civies instead of a uniform? lol tell you this much after he saw that, I was in a uniform the next day

I do not know how it works out west but in 34 brigade I have seen add on to the nominal rolls of the courses the day before the course starts. so do not get your hopes up.

Originally posted by D-n-A:
[qb]haha your in my unit[/qb]
Well hello there. I pretty sure you know who I am, mind giving me a hint as to who you are? Well you are younger than me so that narrows it down a bit... guess I‘ll try to find out next thursday.

(ps. name changed at request of admin)

edit: wait a minute, it‘s your birthday, your probably out getting sloshed.(unless you lied about your date in your profile) happy 19 D-n-A!

20 yrs in as a Supply Tech, I've been everywhere look at my profile for my e-mail, I 'll give you lots of info.

Cheers

A cool perq is that you get a forces.gc.ca email account almost right away. And you can request a security clearance depending on your job, which can help civvie side.

Back