• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surface Warfare Officer badge

It would have been easier if you (RCAF) had not adopted those miniature rank insignia that you place on the leather jacket. It was impossible to see who you were talking to, unless you were six inches away.
We don't anymore. It got repealed within a few months.

The RAF ranks would not easily transfer over to the RCAF; their air and ground trades don’t even use the same ranks in the NCM world.
The Australians (RAAF) and Kiwis (RNZAF) don't differentiate - it's just the RAF that does that.

To be clear, personally I don't see a reason to change (agreeing with @SupersonicMax here) but I just want to point out that not all AFs who have the British-inspired officer ranks also separate the Tech/Aircrew NCM ranks.

And @dapaterson - I've also heard the same rumblings in the RAF, etc before about why WGCDRs don't command Wings, etc. It's just one of those "tradition" things now - analogous to why we still have "Captaine de Corvette" if we don't have Corvettes. The one benefit I can think of is when you see the rank on an email, you're not betting 50/50 whether BGen (for example) is Army or AF.

Alternatively, we could just drop saluting outside of ceremonies
Whoa whoa whoa - not today, Satan :ROFLMAO:

Alternatively, we could just drop saluting outside of ceremonies, and let everybody's rank be clearly visible...

High Five GIF by MOODMAN

why we still have "Captaine de Corvette" if we don't have Corvettes
Umm we do...

1657282897123.png

Captaine de Corvette is directly pulled from the French (France) Rank structure and is used by other french navies. As are other french language ranks.

If I'm a tour guide on Sackville or Haida can I qualify for a SWO Badge? Does the colour change if I'm the shift supervisor or something?

Hey, if I understand the rules, even if you only command a ship in the ditch you still get gold, so Haida should qualify ;)

Hey, if I understand the rules, even if you only command a ship in the ditch you still get gold, so Haida should qualify ;)
Both are still actually commissioned, so I think you actually could technically qualify. Would be hilarious for someone from Parks Canada to apply for it.

Both are still actually commissioned, so I think you actually could technically qualify. Would be hilarious for someone from Parks Canada to apply for it.
That would be amazing.

I mean if you were an NWO and you were still wearing the naval uniform... so that means the retired naval officers who work there (I know a few) can just bomb around in them.

Back