• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survey When Logging Onto Logistik Unicorp

ekpiper

Inactive
Reaction score
There is a new survey presented to CF members when accessing Clothing Online.  The survey concerns 2 new items: 

The Rubber High Black Overshoes:
1) Do you use them?
2) What would you like seen done with them
- Discontinued
- Upgraded
- Kept the same
3) Which improvement would you like to see?

and,

The Yukon Hat:
1) Would you like one given as Initial Issue?
2) Would you be willing to use your points to acquire one, without an increase in point allotment?

Personally, I find that I would never use the overshoes, as they would scratch my polishing job.  It always struck me as a somewhat unnecessary item, but as I was a reservist, I never saw them have an opportunity to be used.  The Yukon Cap, on the other hand is interesting, but I suspect that not too many people would want it, although I personally would.

Regardless, it is nice to see a survey being taken so we can give direct input.  I've never seen one before, but Clothing Online has been around longer than me, so I'm curious if this is new, or if there has ever been a survey done in this manner before?

ekpiper

Yukon hat would be so cool.

I've worn my Dad's old hat several times in the -40C winds of Calgary and it sure kept everything warm and toasty!

Screw using it with DEU, I think we should replace that awful scratchy toque, wool, green that gets issued for use in CADPAT with the Yukon hat. Nice and toasty!!!

I've never used the overboots either, though a specific winter boot (which is one of the options) is an interesting idea.

Only when the "Specific Winter Boot" is designed so it can be shined to a high gloss will it be acceptable for wear with DEU  :2c:

But the issue female winter boot  is a non polish boot so why would the male one need to be polishable?

This is strictly my own personal opinion, I know something will eventually be introduced that will be a nice winter boot that will not require polishing.  That does not mean that I have to like it.  What I envision happening is that a small portion of people will somehow interpret that as not having to keep them clean so we will see winter boots crusted in salt stains.  My two biggest pet peeves are people who do not shine their shoes and the CADPAT jackets being worn with DEU's.  I know that the jacket is an authorized order of dress according to the CF Dress Instructions,  but you will never see me wearing it unless specifically ordered.

In answer to the OP's question, no I've never seen Clothing On Line do a survey and I've been a part of it from the beginning.  I think it's a great idea and I hope as many people as possible vote so we can get some statistically valid results.

As for the overboots.  Yes, I wear them.  No, they're not cool, but my feet stay warm and dry and my shoes don't get covered in salt.  Do they enhance the shine?  No, but they don't destroy it either.  My experience is that my shoes are perfectly acceptable upon removal of the overboot with only the occasional buff with a cloth required.  I find this much easier than having to carry my shoes in a bag and/or changing when I get inside.  Years ago, I was on course in Borden and my classmates steadfastly refused to wear the overboots, but then cursed every night as they had to scrape the salt off their shoes and do a major polishing job.  I had no such concerns, despite not looking as "cool" as them.  Darn right they were cool!  Their feet froze during the day.  I explained to them that ankle deep slush in Halifax makes you re-think what's "cool" pretty darn quick!

I sure hope we see the Yukon hat brought into the system and I don't care if it's optional or not.  I will happily shell out my points for one.  I think the toque is fine, functional piece of operational head gear and is entirely appropriate for combat/working clothing of any sort, BUT it is entirely inappropriate for any kind of service or dress uniform.  In fact it's embarrassing.  Canada is a northern winter country and our dress uniforms should include a proper winter hat that is at an appropriate level of formality.  We don't wear ball caps with our dress uniforms in summer, so we shouldn't wear toques with them in winter.  On another note, I think they should be real fur (support our fur industry - fake fur contributes to global warming) and have cap badges on them as well.

If memory serves me, (these days it is suspect) as a CIC there was a survey back in the early days.
On a side note Logistik has surveys on the cadet order site lots.

Pusser, now why the hell would you want to ruin a perfectly good Yukon cap with a damn ugly cap badge?  It looks like shit when ever I have seen it done.  Cap badges belong on berets and DEU head dress, not winter hats.

jollyjacktar said:
Pusser, now why the hell would you want to ruin a perfectly good Yukon cap with a damn ugly cap badge?  It looks like crap when ever I have seen it done.  Cap badges belong on berets and DEU head dress, not winter hats.

I would be careful about referring to any CF cap badge as ugly.  I think there are many who would disagree

However, more specifically to the concept (as opposed to the badge itself), cap badges on Yukon hats are quite common amongst those uniformed services that wear them, both in Canada and in other countries.  I don't think it looks bad at all.  To me, the cap badge makes it a uniform headress.  Without the badge, it's just a hat.

Well, some cap badges are more attractive than others.  Of the ones that I have worn, and my present one for instance as that would be the one involved, while great for my beret or service cap I would not want it on a Yukon Hat.  It's a matter of opinion is it not?  And I was speaking of myself sorry to not be clear about that.  For me, it would ruin it's appearance.  Both of them, the cap badge and the hat. 
The RCMP, unless I am blind do not wear a cap badge with their hat and I believe they manage to look quite professional and uniform nevertheless.  Same goes for their Stetson. 

At any rate, if it is adopted for wear as I hope I will wear it either naked or adorned as per the dress regs.

You are correct in that the RCMP do not wear a badge on either their Yukon cap or stetson.  I'll admit that it doesn't look bad, but I still would prefer ours to have a badge because I think it would look better.  I think we can agree to disagree on this one. :salute:

Where I think a badge looks bad on a Yukon hat is if it is too big.  When the Yukon hat was first introduced as an optional item for sale at Canex, some folks were putting a full size naval ops badge on it and THAT looked awful (only exceeded by the bright idea of putting the full size naval ops badge on the toque, which was abominable).  As long as we use the smaller (i.e. beret) size badges, I think they'll look pretty good.

Pusser said:
Where I think a badge looks bad on a Yukon hat is if it is too big.  When the Yukon hat was first introduced as an optional item for sale at Canex, some folks were putting a full size naval ops badge on it and THAT looked awful (only exceeded by the bright idea of putting the full size naval ops badge on the toque, which was abominable).  As long as we use the smaller (i.e. beret) size badges, I think they'll look pretty good.

So you're saying that as long as people aren't stupid, it will look good.

Therefore, it will not look good.

Pusser said:
When the Yukon hat was first introduced as an optional item for sale at Canex, some folks were putting a full size naval ops badge on it

Shouldn't have been happening. According to CFP 265, pg 2-2-8, para 15.f., "Hat badges are not to be worn."

In regards to wearing them on the new Yukon hats if we get them, I think it would depend on the colour of the hat. If it was a darker colour, it'd probably look sharp.

200611041454450.leatherhat4.jpg
157405406M.jpg

That said, I don't think it would look good on a lighter colour.

JMesh said:
Shouldn't have been happening. According to CFP 265, pg 2-2-8, para 15.f., "Hat badges are not to be worn."

That is the regulation now.  However, when the toque and optional Yukon cap were first authorized for wear with service dress, cap badges were required.  The regulations actually specified that the full size naval ops badge was to be used on the toque and it looked really bad.  Subsequent direction specified that smaller (i.e. beret sized) badges were to be used (NB: this only effected those branches that have different sized badges for different hats).  This only became moot a few years later when direction came out to discontinue badges on toques and Yukon hats altogether.

Good Day All

I was speaking with a female officer last night and she mentioned that the survey also asked her if she would wear a forge cap instead of a bowler.

I bumped into a LCdr this morning in the Dkyd wearing a black Yukon hat.  It looked very nice and pusser, Pusser. (even without a cap badge  ;))  I asked him about it and he said that he was issued it in Ottawa, so maybe it was one that was trialed.  It has a lower profile than what you see with the Horsemen, but very nice indeed.  Would happily give points for getting ahold of one.

Back