• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Table Top Strategy Games

Lang75

Inactive
Reaction score
I see that there are a number of threads revolving around video games, but I felt it would be interesting to see what interests is in table top strategy games involving miniatures. There are a great many games centered on this style of play but with numerous genres. I admit to having played many of these sorts of games, but as of late I am most taken by Flames of War which is a WWII based game that focuses on the war in Europe, and north Africa, with the war broken down into three periods of early, mid, and late war.

Please please feel free to relate any of your own interests in this hobby.
Lang

Mechwarrier darkage.

Though not exactualy realistic in term of kit the principles of warfare and tactics are applicable.

Further to my last the game has rules for arty whihc incluse drift as well as tanks infantry and airsuppot. You really get a taste of all arms combat

Keebler said:
I conquer...RISK the best board game ever!!
You ever beat four people (only five playing, including me!) in one turn?  ;D

I must admit it has been some time since I have played a game of risk, but it is truly a great game and inspiration for many of the games played now. I find that I prefer the games that have models that you paint, adding a peice of yourself to the game.

Mike_Baker said:
You ever beat four people (only five playing, including me!) in one turn?  ;D

What you do...bring a pocket nuke to the game ;D

Well look who found his way out of radio chatter. 8)

Risk good basic board game. Easy to learn/play  Diplomacy and Axis and Allies would also go into this category.

However I think the thread was on miniature based games.

Axis and Allies is a new entry in the market have yet to try it though. FOW already noted good playable system of course I'm biased I play it. DBM/DBA for the ancients and early horse and musket periods. Finally that old standby the evil empire oops I mean Games workshop with Warhamster and 4ok, which despite their faults probably did a lot to save mini gaming in the past 10 years or so from total extinction at the hands of the RPG and video FPS games.

Larry Strong said:
What you do...bring a pocket nuke to the game ;D
No, it was just luck for the card I got showing the places I had to take over, and the places I had already.

Yes... Yes.. I have finally decided to start a new thread, and take a step out of the chatter

Axis & Allies is a great great game. I played it extensively in my teenage years and loved every second.

HitorMiss said:
Axis & Allies is a great great game. I played it extensively in my teenage years and loved every second.
Never heard of it. Will look into it.

OGRE and GEV from Steve Jackson Games.

And of course, Car Wars... who could ever forget Uncle Albert?

Illuminati as well.

Hmm... seems like a Steve Jackson Games overload...

There are several versions of A&A. The classic Milton Bradly board game is similar to Risk, but set in WW2 2ith the major powers  and the playing pieces are tanks, infantry, aircraft, warships etc.

There are a few semi official add ons versions that add new units like Marines, and minor powers etc.

There was/is a video verison of it  (hard to find now) that just simulated the board game.

A couple of years ago Atari came out with a new version of the video game. The used the same name but it's botha grand strategy world game and a RTS player game for specific battles.

Both versions of the video game can be played either with the AI, online or a LAN. The AI inthe first version is pretty weak, but in the new Atari one there are several settings. It beat me a few times while I was learning. Toook me 8 attmepts as the Germans to win at Stalingrad and 3 as the Allies at D-Day IIRC.

Now there is a new Mini game of Axis and Allies with pre painted miniature vehicles, troops etc. and in the last few months a naval version has been released.

Flames of War rocks! I just got a copy of the UK rules.  I'm hoping to see a few tourneys in the UK when I'm over there.

There is a tourney on in Hamilton on May 5th at the Ramada.  http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Article.asp?ArticleID=1371

Yup Baycon tourney. Still waiting for them to get back to me to know if they got my registration request so my 1st Division Canadian Infantry company is in.

I have several "table top strategy games", including the old reliables such as Risk and Axis and Allies.  I have more challenging games, however.  These include the following:
Squad Leader (and Cross of Iron): squad level tactical combat in world war two.
Assault (and Boots and Saddles, Bundeswehr and Chieftain).  This is a platoon level tactical game based upon hypothetical Warsaw Pact/NATO conflict in the late 1980's/early 1990s.

I have several more, but these two are my main passion.  Squad Leader is very engaging and fun.  Almost like playing miniatures.  Assault really allows you to fight your units as they were meant to be fought by the opposing sides.  Too detailed to lay out here, but suffice it to say that recce units DO act as recce, the Sov's attack best in echelons and the NATO side is much more flexible, but also vulnerable in its own right...

May 5th huh? Well I guess I had better get those Bofors finished up for you soon then? Will you be wanting any other toys?
Danjanou said:
Yup Baycon tourney. Still waiting for them to get back to me to know if they got my registration request so my 1st Division Canadian Infantry company is in.

dapaterson said:
And of course, Car Wars... who could ever forget Uncle Albert?

Ah!  Another convert from way back....  "Uncle Al the Duelist's Pal".

God that was a great game... small and simple too (the original game that is, which game in the small black box).  Come to think of it, that would make a great candidate for the 'ol' Beer and Pretzels stuff in the bottom of the rucksack for emergency boredom session' games.

You guys must all be too young then... haven't seen one post referring to the old Avalon Hill Bookcase games (which to me, is what comes to mind when you state 'table top strategy games', though The Longest Day's maps would never fit in a table!).

Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Starship Troopers, Air Force, etc.

Unfortunately they all take too long to play, time is something you simply don't have with a family and kids...until they are old enough to play with you ;-)

Back